how do you dry towels in the summer

(29 Posts)
Purplehonesty Fri 15-Jul-16 22:03:54

Our household is about to go from 4 to 6 as some relatives are moving in for a good while

Every bathroom we have has heated towel rails and so in the winter the towels dry nicely when the ch is on.

What do people do in the summer tho? I don't have enough clothes airers to hang them on if I want to dry washing for 6 people (and it keeps fexking raining)

So what else?! I don't want to be washing each towel every time it's used you see....!

KP86 Fri 15-Jul-16 22:05:37

Towel rails, over the top of doors, over the glass panel in the shower. Anywhere that will take a towel, really!

Idontknowwhoiam Fri 15-Jul-16 22:07:41

I've been putting the heating on for an hour the last 2 weeks...
I've cracked a window but it's taking days for clothes to dry on the airer and they smell again but the time they dry!
It's got to be cheaper than rewashing amd using the tumble drier for 3 hours at a time!

Purplehonesty Fri 15-Jul-16 22:10:46

Our house gets way too hot if I put the heating on.

Perhaps if I turn off all the radiators except the towel rails and have it come on in the early morning?! Hmm

Flisspaps Fri 15-Jul-16 22:12:04

I start them off in the dryer and then hang them over the handrail on the landing.

LakeFlyPie Fri 15-Jul-16 22:16:09

Hang on washing line

Kbear Fri 15-Jul-16 22:17:11

hang on line then tumble dry to soften them up for 15 mins or so

BluePitchFork Fri 15-Jul-16 22:18:10

hooks on the bathroom door. windows open every day for good ventilation.

Iwasbornin1993 Fri 15-Jul-16 22:18:51

Washing line here too

Floralnomad Fri 15-Jul-16 22:19:18

Tumble dry all year , but towels are washed after every bath/ shower anyway.

elephantoverthehill Fri 15-Jul-16 22:20:53

Towels? In the summer? We just run around in the garden naked to dry off!

QuinionsRainbow Fri 15-Jul-16 22:43:38

Perhaps if I turn off all the radiators except the towel rails and have it come on in the early morning?

That works for us.

CremeEggThief Fri 15-Jul-16 22:46:50

On the washing line for a couple of hours if it's dry. Or over the shower rail, if it's not, but then they take all day, even with both bathroom windows wide open.

MarklahMarklah Fri 15-Jul-16 22:57:25

Washing line, then clothes horse. If it's wet then an extra spin (I don't have a drier) and then drape over the bannisters, making sure they all get rotated to stop any damp spots. I have been known to put the heating on to dry things too, even in the summer.

Purplehonesty Fri 15-Jul-16 23:06:17

I foresee my house being draped in wet towels....

Right off to set heating to come on in bathrooms only. Why didn't I think of that before?!

rabbit123 Sat 16-Jul-16 10:49:11

Washing line and then finish them off in the dryer to make them fluffy.

BluePitchFork Sat 16-Jul-16 10:56:18

how about getting a Over-Door-Clothes-Airer
or
Heated-Towel-Warmer for your guest's room?

DrHarleenFrancesQuinzel Sat 16-Jul-16 11:59:19

Same as I do in winter. Tumble dryer

dementedma Sat 16-Jul-16 12:02:59

Washing line. Clothes horse.

Onlytimewilltell Mon 18-Jul-16 16:27:21

Do you not have an airing cupboard?
Mine and Dh towels live on the back of the door and kids ones get hung on the shelf slats after a shower and rolled up when dry. Everyone has their own hand towel hung in bathrooms.

Purplehonesty Mon 18-Jul-16 23:21:17

No I haven't
Our boiler is in the utility room miles from the shower rooms

Freshly washed towels yes tumble or hang out but it's the ones we've used once then have to try and dry

Squidgems Mon 18-Jul-16 23:45:57

Have you thought about using a dehumidifier on the landing near the bathroom or wherever you want to hang your towels. I use one for a couple if hours when having a shower or bath. The one i have is a small one that even has a setting for drying clothes if put in a small room with a clothes airer. It's a Meaco one recommended by Which. It's brilliant and I wish I'd got it many years before.

CaurnieBred Mon 18-Jul-16 23:49:50

Our bathroom towel rails are dual powered so in summer we switch on the electic element for a couple of hours on the timer

iknowimcoming Mon 18-Jul-16 23:55:01

It's probably more efficient to put the heating on in the bathrooms just after you've gone to bed imo, as that way the bathroom doors will stay shut and keep the heat in the room until morning when you get up, also means they'll be cool by the morning again which is very handy for this weather. For the future for your own bathroom, unless you want to splash out on all of them, you can look into an electric heating element for the towel heaters for the summer, ours just runs on a basic timer whenever you want it, we just stick it on for an hour or two after we've showered and towels are dry without running the boiler.

WanderingTrolley1 Mon 18-Jul-16 23:55:51

Tumble dry, like any other time of year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now