Talk

Advanced search

Cleaning cricket whites

(16 Posts)
daftwit Mon 27-Jun-16 09:59:49

I'm really struggling to remove grass & mud stains from my sons cricket whites ( trousers & t shirt ) after they've been in the wash the stains are very evident . Any recommendations please ?

DramaAlpaca Mon 27-Jun-16 10:06:15

Have you tried a Vanish stick? Rub it in well using a nail brush then wash using bio powder. If it's sunny, hang them out on the line - sunshine is great on stains on whites.

nagynolonger Mon 27-Jun-16 10:12:21

I use Ace bleach on the trousers. Trouble is not many places sell it now. Also soak the kit overnight after giving it scrub.

I've washed cricket kit for 5 sons. Sometimes the trousers are re worn stained.

coldcanary Mon 27-Jun-16 10:20:58

A boatload of vanish and a fairly sturdy nail brush for the stubborn stains works for me.
Soak in vanish and warm water for an hour, scrub the worst off then put them in the washer at 40 degrees.

OliveBranchCollins Mon 27-Jun-16 15:00:06

A good overnight soak helps then as pp say vanish and a nail brush

notquitegrownup2 Mon 27-Jun-16 15:02:18

Vanish or shout are good, but you can also sort them out by making a paste of washing powder mixed with a little bit of water. Apply to the stains with a teaspoon, and then roll them up, pop them aside overnight. If you rub them through in the morning, the soap powder will have done most of the work for you.

monicaglenfield Mon 27-Jun-16 21:06:37

Some good ole Vanish Gold for Whites Stain Remover That should do the trick.

Flutterbye Tue 28-Jun-16 21:42:42

or just don't bother, they'll get exactly the same next time anyway!

rabbit123 Tue 28-Jun-16 22:09:38

Biological powder on a 60 degree cottons wash. Don't use liquids or quick wash.

Flouncy Tue 28-Jun-16 22:15:38

Lidl do an own brand version of whites stain remover thats good and fairly cheap.

I put DS's white football kit with washing liquid and a scoop of stain remover in a soak wash (clever function where the machine does a sort of mini wash then rests for a while before doing the normal cycle). Kit tends to come out clean.

1805 Wed 29-Jun-16 16:48:48

I used Fairy liquid on the stains. Then wash at 50 with a bio powder.
Sometimes use Vanish spray, but fairy seems the best.

rainbowstardrops Wed 29-Jun-16 17:01:05

I use Vanish spray on the worst bits and an extra scoop in the detergent drawer.
Hang them on the line if you can

LIZS Wed 29-Jun-16 17:04:18

Napisan and sunlight.

MrsHathaway Wed 29-Jun-16 17:08:42

Former school matron here: summer term means full loads of whites multiple times a week.

Swarfega liberally slimed on to grass and mud stains. Wash at 40 in normal detergent. You won't know which items had stains on.

DramaAlpaca Wed 29-Jun-16 17:11:56

My mother used to use swarfega on my dad's cricket whites. I'd forgotten that.

MrsHathaway Wed 29-Jun-16 17:13:27

Pro tip, y'see.

Downside is that it stinks. Consider a quick wash cycle afterwards to rinse away the smell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now