Talk

Advanced search

Washing machine fluff filter full of water

(8 Posts)
Whitecoconut Sun 01-May-16 17:12:44

The fluff filter of my washing machine is always filled with water even not in used. If I don't empty the water over the next few days, it sometimes leaks out to the floor from the bottom of the machine. And if I don't use the machine for a few days, ie, when I come back from a holiday, there is quite a bit of water in the drum.

What's wrong with my machine? I don't want to buy a new one if there may be just a blockage somewhere and nothing wrong with the machine. Please advice.

Whitecoconut Sun 01-May-16 17:50:08

One more question: does a washing machine with a fluff filter works better than without? I noticed some machines don't have a fluff filter compartment.

rabbit123 Sun 01-May-16 19:12:47

The filter will always be full of water after the wash - it's connected to the sump so any residual water than isn't drained away will sit in there until the next time you use it.

If it's leaking, it's either leaking from the back or you've not tightened the filter cover up enough.

Washers that have a filter cannot be used without it, otherwise when the machine fills up for the wash, it will pour straight out onto the floor.

Whitecoconut Sun 01-May-16 20:47:38

I always drain out the water from the filter after every wash. Next morning when I check again, it's filled with water again even the machine hasn't been used after the previous filter draining. Is this normal?

rabbit123 Sun 01-May-16 21:10:21

Yes. It's water re-entering the machine that the was sat in the washer drain pipe, but that the pump didn't flush all the way out of the pipe. Perfectly normal and nothing to worry about.

To be honest, you don't need to empty the filter after every wash. I do ours about once a month.

Whitecoconut Sun 01-May-16 21:26:57

I need to empty it because there had been a few occasions when I didn't, and as soon as I switched on the machine, water leaked out from the bottom.

Thanks for your help, btw.

Whitecoconut Sun 01-May-16 21:30:02

And also there had been a few mornings when I found a big puddle of water next to the washing machine.

PolterGoose Sun 01-May-16 21:31:26

If water is leaking from the filter it sounds like a seal has gone (perhaps from over use!) or you aren't closing it tight enough - they rarely need checking, unless you know you've washed a crucial but teeny piece of Lego...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now