Which online grocery delivery companies offer regular/'same time every week'?

(25 Posts)
Pebbles574 Thu 11-Feb-16 11:21:36

I've just realised that we are effectively paying £7/week over supermarket prices for our doorstep milk delivery shock and it would be cheaper & more useful to have a weekly supermarket delivery with the milk as part of that.
But I want one where I can book a slot and have it automatically reoccur every week, with the milk included as a 'regular/automatically added' item.

I seem to think Ocado will do this, is that right?
Does anyone else?

cozietoesie Thu 11-Feb-16 11:43:43

Ocado don't deliver here so I can't comment on that particular one. But what's to stop you just sitting down once a week for 15 minutes and inputting your regular shopping basket? (Assuming it's above the minimum spend.) I do that (including for milk) and it works fine.

cozietoesie Thu 11-Feb-16 11:46:38

PS - actually, it need only be once a month or given you can usually book 2/3/4 weeks in advance on multiple days. I just happen to do it weekly.

Pebbles574 Thu 11-Feb-16 11:50:47

Cozie - I already do online shopping with Tesco and Sainsbury, but often find that by the time I sit down to do the shop the delivery slots I want have gone.
I really want to 'automate' it so that a) we don't end up without milk and b) it prompts me to add to a 'regular' delivery, rather than me having to start a new one every time.
I think most of the supermarkets allow you to save a 'list', so I could do that for the milk and other things that we order every week.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 11-Feb-16 11:58:36

I get exactly the same slot with Waitrose every week not a problem. (Order thurs, deliver sat). You can save lists, and have favourites I think?

Gruach Thu 11-Feb-16 12:05:30

Yes you can do exactly that with Ocado. A regular slot which will automatically send your chosen list of goods every week - though you can of course alter the items whenever you want.

As Morrisons deliver under the Ocado umbrella they may possibly offer the same?

JassyRadlett Thu 11-Feb-16 12:09:40

Though it's worth looking into why your doorstep milk delivery is more expensive - supermarkets generally treat dairy farmers dreadfully.

Gruach Thu 11-Feb-16 12:15:27

Here: Ocado Reserved

Never miss your favourite slot again. Sign up and we'll place an automatic repeating order based on what you usually buy. You can make changes to your order and slot as usual, and we'll send you a reminder email for every order we place.

Direct from the Ocado horse's mouth

ouryve Thu 11-Feb-16 12:26:12

I rarely have a problem getting a slot I want from Sainsburys. At 10pm, this Tuesday, I logged in, picked a slot for 10am the next morning, whizzed down my favourites and navigated to a few extra things I wanted but don't need regularly and was all done by 10:15pm.

Pebbles574 Thu 11-Feb-16 14:15:47

Ouryve - I think if you're around during the day and can be flexible then there are always some slots, but I'm not around at e.g. 10 a.m.

Jassy - that's why we've persevered with our milkman for so long, however over the last few months the service has become so shocking I'm not willing to pay a premium any longer.
We've been getting no deliveries/ deliveries on the wrong day/ deliveries at midnight the night before that wake us up angry and then this week they have arbitrarily changed all the days they deliver without informing the customer, with Saturday cancelled completely and milk left standing out all day. I've just had enough.

Bounced Thu 11-Feb-16 14:19:35

We stopped using our milkman for exactly the same reasons.

I now have a routine of booking a Tesco slot every Saturday evening, shoving in all the basics and then adding to it all week via the app on my phone - would that work for you?

FreeButtonBee Thu 11-Feb-16 14:19:57

Ocado is what you want. Same slot every week reserved for you and they populate your trolley for you with regular purchases along with all the most expensive things you've every bought - but it takes 30s on the app to delete the unwanted items. Best mobile app as well. Soooo easy to use

FreeButtonBee Thu 11-Feb-16 14:22:15

Oh and I have a midweek delivery pass which costs 6.49 a month - can have as many deliveries on a tue/wed/thur on top of your regular delivery slot for nothing extra. I get mine on a Tuesday at 7.30am and sometimes get a late night Thursday delivery with extra bits for the weekend

Pebbles574 Thu 11-Feb-16 14:26:38

Bounced - how do you add to the Tesco order all week? Don't you have to go in and open the order and check out again, or do you just mean you add to a list and then change the order once before it is delivered.
Either way, that still sounds time-consuming to me - needing to fill a basket once with £40 of food, checking out and then adding to it and checking out again later?

Which app are you using (maybe I have an old Tesco one, as I can't see where to add to my order)

KP86 Thu 11-Feb-16 14:58:42

I use ocado. Make a basket at the beginning of the week/fortnight, then immediately edit my order and it stays in edit mode until the day before delivery when I re-check out ready for the next day.

They have free delivery on Wednesdays if you spend £75, which is why I tend to do fortnight or even three weekly orders of around £90-100, then small top ups using my Asda delivery pass each week.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Thu 11-Feb-16 14:59:46

We did the Ocado one for a few months, but found it a pain having to add and delete so many things manually, it really didn't learn to predict our order very well. So I went back to making orders manually, ypu could always set a reminder on your phone to do it on the same day each week.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Thu 11-Feb-16 15:01:04

With Ocado on the app you can add single items to an already checked out shop without having to re-checkout.

Gruach Thu 11-Feb-16 15:05:04

FreeBB I have an any day delivery pass for £3.99 a monthgrin.

After six odd years I till haven't got round to organising a reserved slot because I can't decide which day would be best ..

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Thu 11-Feb-16 15:11:52

I think the problem for us is that the things we order every single week only add up to about £15 (milk, butter, bread, eggs, apples and bananas). So it was filling up the basket to the £40 min. spend from random other stuff that we had ordered at some point. If you missed the editing cut-off that was an expensive mistake, I never did entirely but did used to come close sometimes.

Bounced Thu 11-Feb-16 17:55:11

I do my basic order (bread, milk, stuff for meals I've planned) and that's usually more than £40. If not, I add wine!

Then on the app I can amend the order without having to check out again - I usually do it while the kids are eating. So I add anything we've run out off that day, things I forgot about when meal planning etc. Takes about 30 seconds - amend, search for item, click on it, confirm changes.

I do a last check late evening before the day of delivery, often using their 'things you often buy' list in case I've managed to forget something basic.

DinosaursRoar Thu 11-Feb-16 17:59:58

I think Ocado are the only ones who'll do it for you. You can set up a weekly slot with a basic delivery in it, we did this when I was on mat leave with DC1, so even if I forgot, once a week a basic shop including the stuff I ordered every week (like bread, milk, nappies) plus the ingredients for 4/5 dinners arrived. It did get a bit 'samey' as I ended up making those same 4/5 dinners every night for a few weeks on the run when DC1 was teething and I didn't get organised to change the order... We don't tend to do the same stuff order anymore, but think I might go back to it, makes life easier.

lighteningmcmama Fri 12-Feb-16 11:04:19

Sainsburys have just launched this. Not tried it out yet.

Linok Fri 12-Feb-16 12:52:47

I spend sometime and book my deliveries for the next 3 months with waitrose, you only need to fill in your basket once and then use the same basket to copy over to the next delivery. You can always go back and amend or cancel your order altogether.

GrubbyWindows Fri 12-Feb-16 19:10:27

I do that with Abel and Cole- a load of stuff on a regular every week order, or every 2, 3, or 4 weeks. I tend to tweak it, but it's not a disaster if I forget, I still end up with my milk!
You can't choose your delivery slot, but ours comes early on a Monday, and they can leave it in a safe place for you (the cold stuff comes in a cool box).
It's all organic, so not bargain basement, but suits us. No minimum order, and the delivery charge is about a quid.

athelp Fri 28-Oct-16 21:28:14

Convibo does grocery delivery under an hour

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now