We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Spin Dryer experiences?

(10 Posts)
GarethCanFOff Mon 13-Oct-14 20:09:55

I saw someone mention on a thread on Mumsnet about spin dryers. I had never heard of them so looked them up. For anyone else who has not heard of them, they are different to tumble dryers in that they squeeze out more water than the washing machine spin cycle would, but they don't use heat or dry clothes completely. They are a lot cheaper to run than a tumble dryer and the advantage is that it would mean a reduced drying time (so if tumble drying less time in the tumble dryer, or less time hanging outside, or around the house. One post mentioned she can often line dry even in winter as the clothes are half dry before she puts them out).

I would be interested to hear about people's experiences with them and whether they were worth the money? I am between two minds whether spending money on another appliance will really save me much money as I would have to take into account the spend on the appliance itself.

I am in Ireland (so not UK) so I might not have much choice in which one I can get. I am thinking of going for this one www.currys.ie/Product/white-knight-28009w-spin-dryer-white/315572/2.7 and getting an extended warranty. It has mostly good reviews on amazon but some negative (hence the warranty).

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 13-Oct-14 21:08:54

I just do an extra spin in the washing machine, have you tried that?

ChishandFips33 Tue 14-Oct-14 22:15:40

ooo this is a blast from the past!

Yes!! My DM used to have one and they were fab back in the day - it spun far faster than the washing machine (but those have moved on in spec since these times - 80's/90's)

We had one at work too (mid 90's) and made a big difference to getting things dry

found splitting the load in half before spinning better <remembers thrill of all the water pouring then trickling out!>

Having had these experiences I bought one when I got my own house (mid 90's, no tumble drier) and loved it - we were just limited for space so eventually it got passed on (it was a god send when I flooded the bathroom and needed copious amounts of towels to mop up the deluge heading in to the kitchen!)

Didn't realise they were still on the go - you've got me hankering after another now when we move and acquire a futility room (still no tumble drier but use Lakeland heated airer so could be useful!)

let's help them make a come back!

e1y1 Tue 14-Oct-14 22:58:11

Yes, used to have one when lived at home. They're amazing and do make a big difference to getting stuff dry.

I believe they spin at 2800 revs a min. I believe top washer speed is 2000 and the highest I have seen is 1800.

Only downside, is that it is extra work to go from washer, spinner and them dryer.

rabbit123 Wed 15-Oct-14 10:52:08

We have a spinner. Spins at 2800rpm vs the 1400rpm in the washer. Makes a big difference on heavy stuff like jeans and towels and cuts dryer time in half, but virtually no difference on lighter items. Be warned, they do cause a lot more creasing.

Sonnet Wed 15-Oct-14 11:06:32

I run an additonal spin on my washing machine for heavy items - you wouldnt believe the difference that makes

GarethCanFOff Wed 12-Nov-14 17:59:20

Thanks guys for the replies. Sorry I didn't reply sooner.

It is great that people found them good. I am very keen on getting one but need to figure out where I can put it. My mashing machine just broke so that is my priority for now but the spin dryers look like they could save me money so I will have to figure out where to put one.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 14-Nov-14 18:15:21

Hiddenhome and I have that one.

I love mine. It's smaller than my kitchen bin.

In the summer clothes are line dry in under half an hour and I can dry outside all year round. What's not to like?.

EarSlaps Mon 17-Nov-14 22:46:01

I'm really tempted to get ones for towels and bedding.
How heavy are they? Could it live on my washing machine and get moved down for use?

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 17-Nov-14 22:47:32

Not heavy, I kept mine on top of the counter for a while.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now