Talk

Advanced search

Stinky Saniflo

(18 Posts)
Housewife2010 Thu 13-Feb-14 13:13:54

We've started using the shower in out en suite more and the saniflo can be quite smelly. What should I put down the sink/loo? When I asked the bathroom fitters a couple of years ago they advised me against using bleach, but I can't remember what they did recommend.

cowsarescary Thu 13-Feb-14 13:20:25

<<waits for Piglet John>>

PigletJohn Thu 13-Feb-14 19:54:00

skip.

NormHonal Thu 13-Feb-14 19:56:31

Ours smells quite a lot too.

You can pay £££££ for special cleaner stuff.

TBH we are planning to rip ours out when we can afford to do it. Fed up of it blocking every five minutes.

<arf> at PigletJohn. grin

Housewife2010 Thu 13-Feb-14 20:14:06

Does anyone know of a secret potion I can use? It smell OKs at the moment, but it wasn't very pleasant the other week drifting off to sleep with the scent of sewage in my nostrils.

cowsarescary Thu 13-Feb-14 20:39:36

I knew Piglet John wouldn't disappoint

Skivvywoman Thu 13-Feb-14 21:13:44

I used to pour dettol in my saniflow cistern

Housewife2010 Fri 14-Feb-14 11:59:08

Thanks Skivvy. I'll treat us to a bottle of Dettol. It won't be a particularly romantic Valentine's night drifting off to the smell of poo!

PigletJohn Fri 14-Feb-14 12:08:11

If it was working properly (ha ha) and not clogged or leaking, it should not smell. Giving it a second flush should mean the poo-mincer just has fresh water in it.

They are at their best if ripped out and thrown in the skip.

Skivvywoman Fri 14-Feb-14 12:12:29

Piglet I couldn't agree more! Ours was in a cupboard that was made in to a walkin toilet when my parents were ill and when I was toilet training dd she used to take kandoo wipes in!!! Uh uh biggest mistake it overflowed there was shit and water everywhere downstairs it was a nightmare and because it was a saniflow it wasn't covered in my policy with British gas!!!

Housewife2010 Fri 14-Feb-14 12:26:05

It doesn't seem to be clogged or leaking. We have 2 saniflows. Unfortunately due to their location in the house we didn't have any other choice when it came to putting extra bathrooms in. We've had the nightmares of blocked saniflows in the past but are very strict now re what is actually put in the loos so we haven't had any problems for a while (touch wood). - Except for the recent pong. Until recently we weren't using the en suite much, but since the main bathroom was decorated we're using it a lot so I though the extra use may be contributing to the pong. Piglet thoughts appreciated!

KringleCandleLover Fri 14-Feb-14 12:35:22

I put bleach down my loo and have done for the past 8 years, its not caused any problems.

Had a Saniflo engineer out recently to service it remove wetwipes and chewing gum. I only just spared DS life and he said it looked fine inside all the poo chomping bits.

Is bleach a problem?

PigletJohn Fri 14-Feb-14 12:44:32

Chlorine bleach does cause "rubber" seals and washers to perish more quickly than normal, but I have taken care never to look inside a poo-blender so don't know if they are bleach- resistant. They are sometimes plumbed to pump away from showers, so I suppose they can cope with foamy detergents.

Skivvywoman Fri 14-Feb-14 13:05:28

When I had mines installed I was instructed never to put bleach in it at all! Much to my disgust

KringleCandleLover Fri 14-Feb-14 13:30:00

We fitted our own so weren't told anything.

I've squirted allsorts down mine from Toilet Duck, bleach to denture tabs.

I like to think I'm cleaning the pipe that goes under the bedroom floors out.

No doubt I'll regret my actions if a seal rots.

Housewife2010 Fri 14-Feb-14 13:46:50

I've read online that I should avoid foam cleaners. Piglet, what do you think I should use? Dettol? You are the latrine expert!

PigletJohn Fri 14-Feb-14 14:21:26

Skip.

Girlsbrigadewashorrible Fri 14-Feb-14 18:35:01

We had a version of saniflo in our last house, something like a manifoss? It was absolutely fine but needed regular maintenance, ie glove up and clean out the poo that was blocking it every few months. We were very careful not to flush anything other than paper and definitely not quilted loo roll. It was the only means of gaining an ensuite so it was worth the effort.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now