Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Uses for Label Maker

(24 Posts)
KoalaFace Tue 26-Mar-13 10:58:26

In the Homemaking Tips thread a few mners have been discussing label makers.

Now I neeeeed one. Well maybe not need but really really want.

Also some evil genius mentioned using Washi Tape with the labels which is too beautiful.

But I know DH will eyeroll at me buying another homey gadget.

So I need a good list of things I can use the label maker for to back me up when I buy it. Help please!

tigerlilygrr Tue 26-Mar-13 11:18:53

Ok here are my time wasters uses:
- labelling drawers with contents
- labelling plugs with the name of the appliance so you don't unplug your breadmaker to put the kettle on
- labelling document folders

Plus I got a great tip on the other thread which was to label cords and wires with the name of the thing they belong to as soon as they come into the house eg camera charger. Saves them all piling up.

KoalaFace Tue 26-Mar-13 11:55:22

Thanks tiger I love those! Especially labelling drawers with contents. Sounds half mental but I bet it makes everyone put things back where they belong.

tigerlilygrr Tue 26-Mar-13 12:13:36

Err well that's the idea! Not quite so good in practice! But I am training them up!

tigerlilygrr Tue 26-Mar-13 12:16:37

koala seeing as it's just you and me having a chat here... About label makers... I will tell you a funny story I read on MN about someone who moved into a fully labelled up house and was too scared to deviate from the prescribed contents, so kept all her son's clothes in the drawer marked DS, all her socks in the drawer marked socks, etc. I love that!

Primrose123 Tue 26-Mar-13 12:19:15

Ooh, I wanted a label maker for ages, and DH found one for me in Lidl! Thing is, I've run out of things to label, so I'll watch this thread with interest!

KoalaFace Tue 26-Mar-13 12:29:32

tiger That is hilarious! I can just imagine it. Brilliant.

Primrose what have you labelled so far? [nosy]

Primrose123 Tue 26-Mar-13 12:34:20

Let me think... chargers, cables, plugs, folders, kid's iPods etc if they have the same thing, storage boxes. I just feel I'm missing out on a whole area of getting completely over organised. grin

Littlemissexpecting Tue 26-Mar-13 14:02:09

What about shelves inside the kitchen cupboards?
We have hooks in the garage with labels above so DH knows where to put things back such as fork, spade, shovel etc.

PigletJohn Tue 26-Mar-13 14:48:45

very useful in kitchens where you have a lot of electrical appliances. Where you have switches for appliances, you can label the switch "boiler" "cooker" "dishwasher" etc.

Where you have sockets, label the plugs "toaster" "kettle" etc.

On hard glossy white sockets, if cut and positioned carefully, they look very neat. Best if the go right to the edges at the sides, and are aligned with the bottom edge.

It is an economical alternative to buying engraved switches.

Many people also use them to make circuit-name labels for the breakers in a consumer unit.

HazeltheMcWitch Tue 26-Mar-13 15:15:15

You could label spices and make them look all uniform and pretty. I LOVE organising my spices.
Label pipes/shut off valves?

DIY stuff? Nails / screws - 6mm etc etc

KoalaFace Tue 26-Mar-13 15:35:09

Primrose
LittleMiss
Piglet
Hazel

All excellent stuff!

I think the key to this will be the organising wires, plugs and leads. DH will really go for that I reckon. grin

Label Maker - Here comes Koala!

HazeltheMcWitch Tue 26-Mar-13 15:39:27

Pppssst - which one are you getting?

KoalaFace Tue 26-Mar-13 15:56:40

That's what I'm next figuring out! Is there a big difference between the £15 and £40 ones?

Anyone got any recommendations?

Snowgirl1 Tue 26-Mar-13 16:05:11

I keep meaning to label the shelves in my airing cupboard - bath towels, hand towels, duvet covers, pillow slips etc. - but haven't got round to it yet...

I have labelled all the different chargers we have (and wrapped the cables up in these plug/cable tidies so there's no longer a medusa like tangle of cables in a drawer smile

KoalaFace Tue 26-Mar-13 16:07:23

Ooooh the airing cupboard! It'll look so beautiful all labelled!

Another for the list! Thanks Snow

MrsHiddleston Tue 26-Mar-13 16:25:38

Am I the only one wondering why on earth you'd want to label your cupboards and their contents. You can see what's in there without the need for a label?!

<doesn't get label makers>

erowid Tue 26-Mar-13 16:35:42

MrsHiddleston - No I don't get labelling cupboard and drawer contents either, I move things around too much. But plugs, wires and jars of screws or nails I can see it being handy.

DazzleII Tue 26-Mar-13 16:51:46

When you have teens it's worth it. They are addle-headed.

NeverKnowinglyUnderstood Tue 26-Mar-13 17:10:08

waterbottles, book bags, sports bag anything non fabric that needs to go to school/beavers/cubs/swimming etc
remote controls

piemistress Tue 26-Mar-13 23:11:31

Loving this! Can anyone recommend a cheap but good one? There was also mention of nice tape on the other thread, can that go in the label maker too? Think it began with a w??

HazeltheMcWitch Tue 26-Mar-13 23:22:30

the w- tape is washi, piemistress

Please can you tell me what/where this other thread was?

HazeltheMcWitch Tue 26-Mar-13 23:36:01

Oh, you mean the thread right below this one (as I type, anyway).
Found it!

HollaAtMeBaby Wed 27-Mar-13 23:31:01

Travel adapters! If you have lots of different types, anyway. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now