Talk

Advanced search

Steam mop and laminate floor. Is this a bad idea?

(27 Posts)
Lookslikerain Mon 18-Feb-13 07:35:49

I have a steam mop and a lovely new wood laminate floor. I've searched the talk archive and googled but I can't seem to find a definitive answer.

Is it safe to steam mop my laminate floor?

The only things I can find online say you can steam mop as long as it's a sealed laminate floor. How do I know if my laminate is sealed?

Need a definitive answer please! I hate that whole mop, bucket thing. Thank you!

nellyjelly Mon 18-Feb-13 07:42:08

Don't think you can tbh. If is is sealed with varnish you may do. Can you check with laminate manufacturer? Water and laminate don't really go together. May cause warping over time, or so I am told

DancingInTheMoonlight Mon 18-Feb-13 07:46:51

No the joints will blow

UnrequitedSkink Mon 18-Feb-13 07:49:27

I'm not sure tbh, but I have laminate floor and hate mopping. I have now got an eco mop and it's bloody brilliant! The mop head bit is flat and you take off the cloth, wet it, wring it out with your hands and then stick it back on to the mop (velcro) It sort of gathers up all the dirt and dust, a day then I usually just pick up the little pile of muck with a piece of kitchen roll and bin it. Takes me about 5 minutes to do the whole ground floor, and I maybe rinse the cloth out in the sink once. No chemicals required, just water, it's Brilliant I tell you! Sorry that's not much help, but might be worth thinking about replacing the steam one!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 18-Feb-13 07:51:21

No you will wreck the floor.

KnittedCharacter Mon 18-Feb-13 07:56:21

i have used a steam mop on my laminate floor and my floor is fine.

Lookslikerain Mon 18-Feb-13 07:57:59

Okay, so if my steam mop is out, and laminate isn't keen on water, then how should I be cleaning this floor? confused Is it the heat, the water or both that's the problem? I have 2 messy DC so floor needs cleaning regularly.

nellyjelly Mon 18-Feb-13 08:05:53

I use an eco cloth stuck on a mop. In fact I should buy an eco map! I sweep, suck up the dust with a dust buster every day so it is pretty dust free anyway. I then run the cloth over it. Floor wipes also good but not very eco friendly.

pengymum Mon 18-Feb-13 08:06:21

If your floor is properly fitted with no gaps and sealed finish, you can use a good steam cleaner that doesn't leave the floor wet. Or a steam vacuum that sucks up the gunk and leaves floor dry. If there are any gaps, over a period you may get some water absorbed and lifting. If is a waxed or stained finish, steam.will melt and remove this over time.
I have a good quality laminate and use a steam vacuum without any problems. Previously had just steam cleaner and was fine too. But there are very few gaps.
Only area I have a problem is kitchen, where I spilt Jewellery cleaner and it lifted the seam but was gap there. Also washing machine leaked and made it worse! sad
Steamer didn't affect it though! smile
Is not one of those steam mops but a proper steam cleaner. Lecoaspira, leaves it dry. Like vacuuming but with steam to remove dirt! I love it. grin
Hth

WannabeWilloughby Mon 18-Feb-13 08:10:23

I use my steam mop on my laminate floor (unsealed) and my floor is fine.

Perhaps try it in a discrete area of the room. smile

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Mon 18-Feb-13 08:10:58

we're having laminate fitted today! grin (yay!) Friends have recommended a microfibre mop with a built in squirter to squirt the recommended product (for warranty purposes). But I'll ask the man when he comes later.

Def no steam or water. I'd imagine it'd appear fine for a while but the damage would appear after a while. it would void any warranty you have.

UnrequitedSkink Mon 18-Feb-13 08:33:11

Eco mop! Yes it does use water but very little - It's just damp enough to collect all the dust and grime. I've been using on my laminate flooring for about 3 years now, no problem whatsoever.

AllOverIt Mon 18-Feb-13 08:36:33

I steam mop my laminate daily and it's fine (I have dogs, I'm not a clean freak, honest!)

CharlotteBronteSaurus Mon 18-Feb-13 08:38:35

i mop (not steam mop) our laminate floor, albeit very infrequently
it's a good quality laminate which has been professionally fitted, and it's survived
in between i sweep, and spot clean with a sponge

Lookslikerain Mon 18-Feb-13 09:32:14

Thanks for all your replies.

It has been well fitted (well, seems to be to my untrained eye) but I'd rather not risk it lifting etc. My steam mop will still be used for the tiled bathroom, toilet and on the varnished wooden living room floor.

Can I ask where people have bought their eco mops from, please? A quick google didn't turn up anything obvious, but I'm about to go out so don't have time for a more thorough search. Thanks!

UnrequitedSkink Mon 18-Feb-13 09:48:25

http://m.johnlewis.com/mt/www.johnlewis.com/e-cloth-mop-system/p183920?un_jtt_v_pdp=yes

I realise I am coming across as slight unhinged but I don't care, this thing has changed my life need to get out more grin

PeazlyPops Mon 18-Feb-13 11:26:30

I've steam mopped my unsealed laminate every couple of days for two years and its fine. If you are worried, try it on a discreet part, but I'm sure it will be fine.

UnderwaterBasketWeaving Tue 19-Feb-13 09:25:32

Floor man said no steam or excessive water, but any product made for laminate is ok.

We got an e-cloth mop yesterday and it was brill on the dust from fitting (and DS breakfast residue!)

MoreBeta Tue 19-Feb-13 09:30:35

I steam a sealed laminate floor fairly regularly. TBH the steam is only on it for a few seconds. Laminate is usually varnished anyway.

Have you got a spare old piece of laminate from when it was fitted to give it a try?

Mockingcurl Tue 19-Feb-13 09:33:05

I've steam mopped my laminate floor for seven years. It's fine.

TWinklyLittleStar Tue 19-Feb-13 09:34:57

What sort of flooring is a steam mop meant to be used on then? <bit thick>

Lookslikerain Tue 19-Feb-13 13:28:44

Thanks all for your help.

I think I'll buy an Eco mop for it. We've got an extra little area next to the kitchen that's also laminated so I might use the steam mop in there and see what happens.

I'm a bit surprised that so many people put laminate into kitchens when water is so bad for it. Between baby DD chucking her cup over the high chair and DS "helping" me do washing up, there are regularly small puddles!

StuckOnARollercoaster Tue 19-Feb-13 13:34:24

Thats why I would always tile my kitchen and have laminate in the rest of the downstairs until we have our 'forever' home and I can put down real wood!!!

I do steam my laminate but not as often as the tiled floors, but am more wary and will use it quickly over the laminate, whereas in the kitchen I love really blasting the tiles to know that they are literally clean enough to eat off grin

thewoodfloorman Tue 10-Dec-13 06:28:26

Steam mops are NOT suitable for laminate floors. The sealed or fitted together properly thing is a myth. I am a qualified installer of solid wood, laminate floors, and LVT's and these cleaners cause damage over time and will wreck your floor. A laminate floor is made up of layers of HDF, high resolution photographic image and a clear wear layer (the laminate) they are heated and bonded together. Leaving water on the surface for prolonged periods is bad enough, but applying steam! This has a detrimental effect, not only due to the moisture, but the excessive heat too. Buy a suitable laminate floor cleaning solution (like quickstep) and dilute in a bucket, mop the floor only after completely wringing the mop out so it is damp, so a vacuum or sweep first id advisable.

Jas1069 Wed 11-Mar-15 20:33:19

I have a (Vax S86-SF-C) steam mop. Never had any problems on my Laminate flooring. Works a treat and I only need to use it every 7 to 10 days, with just normal sweeping up in between. I’d highly recommend one.
Especially the ‘two in one’s', where you can detach the mop part to create a hand-held cleaner. Immensely versatile! :-)
PS. I know its an old Thread but i'm sure someone will still find it useful. I know I did!! ;-)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »