Talk

Advanced search

What cleaning products to use to get a kitchen sink very shiny

(25 Posts)
QuangleWangleQuee Mon 24-Sep-12 10:20:14

Mine is not looking good. It is quite old and has lots of limescale and general grottiness. Think I might need something heavy duty. Any suggestions? Thanks.

chocoluvva Mon 24-Sep-12 10:25:55

You could try Astonish paste (in a square blue tub) then a stainless steel spray after you've dried it. M+S does a nice one.

Evilwater Mon 24-Sep-12 10:27:50

If it's stainless steel, then I use a window cleaner. Just spray and then dry with a tea towel.
Evil

QuangleWangleQuee Mon 24-Sep-12 10:29:47

Yes it's stainless steel. Thanks for your suggestions.

Cillitbanger Mon 24-Sep-12 10:30:39

Another vote for Astonish Paste. You can get it from Lakeland.

SunshadesOfGrey Mon 24-Sep-12 10:34:03

Shiny Sinks - you can get it at most supermarkets. It's brilliant on stainless steel sinks (and hobs/splash backs) and does what it says on the tin, as it were!

QuangleWangleQuee Mon 24-Sep-12 10:35:35

Thank you.

chocoluvva Mon 24-Sep-12 12:26:27

Astonish is stocked by some of the supermarkets.
Good luck smile

crunchingautumnleaves Mon 24-Sep-12 12:51:01

Viakal (the liquid one) worked wonders on a really badly limescale encrusted stainless steel sink & drainer & smelt ok too.

TirednessKills Mon 24-Sep-12 13:44:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tuttutitlookslikerain Mon 24-Sep-12 13:46:24

Viakal works wonders IMVHO, or neat white vinegar.

QuintessentialShadows Mon 24-Sep-12 13:49:16

Milton tabs.

First just clean the sink to get rid of surface grit.

Fill the sink with water, add a couple of Milton tabs, leave to soak for 15 minutes.

Dont forget to put on your marigolds. wink

QuangleWangleQuee Mon 24-Sep-12 14:09:47

I have ordered Astonish from Amazon, but just popped to Sainburys and had a look at what they had. There wasn't a lot really. No Shiny Sinks. I picked up Cillit Bang Lime and Shine, which is currently working away on my sink. Will rinse it off in a minute. Hadn't seen the Viakal suggestions before I went, but we may have some of that at the back of the cupboard. Thanks again.

OneOfMyTurnsComingOn Mon 24-Sep-12 14:11:53

That vinegar spray from Poundland is fab for limescale. Spray and leave a while, then scrub.

wildstrawberryplace Mon 24-Sep-12 14:15:24

Limelite spray is better than Viakal imho, would sort it out in one application. The greener thing to do of course is soak some kitchen roll in white vinegar and leave it on the lime scale encrustations until they dissolve.

QuangleWangleQuee Mon 24-Sep-12 14:20:01

Yes I admit Cillit Bang probably isn't very green. blush I may even have some Limelight at the back of the cupboard. Need to sort out my kitchen cupboard and try a few of them. I have rinsed off the Cillit and it is looking better and shinier, but does need a few more applications to sort it out properly.

Iheardthatpardon Mon 24-Sep-12 14:29:27

I just use normal washing powder - sprinkle on damp sink and leave for few mins, then use a nonstick pan scourer and scrub round. Then fill sink with warm water and leave for at least 30 mins or overnight, then drain and rinse clean. If not using, buff dry with dishcloth. I do this at least once a week and have a sparkling white sink.

Just using bleach does not remove limescale - it just bleaches it so it is still there, you just can't see it! Need to use white vinegar or lemon juice to remove limescale permanently. Or use the water from descaling kettles - put rags or cotton wool onto the limescaled area, then pour over the vinegar or whatever you are using and leave overnight if possible. Scrub away any limescale remaining or repeat if really badly scaled.

jicky Mon 24-Sep-12 14:44:03

I have a vibrating brush thing from Lakeland. Mine is the bathroom one (I'm not sure what the differences are between a bathroom and a kitchen cleaning brush if any!) and it has done an amazing job on the skanky taps in my new house.

StopEatingThatMud Mon 24-Sep-12 14:53:01

I've found good old cheap as chips cream cleaner is the best thing on my stainless steel sink and hob.

ArtfulAardvark Mon 24-Sep-12 14:56:23

I love barkeepers friend...in fact I waffle on about it so much they should employ me!! Havent tried using it on stainless steel but it bought our, only fit for the tip, ceramic sink back to life. Smells dreadful though.

Want2bSupermum Mon 24-Sep-12 15:02:27

I use barkeepers friend on our sink. Works a treat.

ArtfulAardvark I also go on about the stuff all the time too. It is the genius cleaning product. DH says I am like the father in my big fat greek wedding but with Barkeepers Friend instead of Windex!

QuangleWangleQuee Mon 24-Sep-12 18:51:48

ha ha. Maybe I should buy Barkeepers Friend and become a devotee too! I cleared out the cupboard under my sink and found some Limelight, but no Viakal. Think I will try the Limelight next. (Have used Cillit and cream cleaner so far.) Then the Astonish when it arrives. Hopefully will see an improvement. I like all the tips.

Pannacotta Mon 24-Sep-12 18:59:25

Shiny SInks is great
www.chemistdirect.co.uk/shiny-sinks_1_167046.html?utm_source=Google%2BProducts&utm_medium=Google%2BProducts&utm_campaign=Google%2BProducts

Beckymck Sun 15-Jan-17 00:07:02

I use the flash magic sponge to give my sink a thorough clean and brilliant shine. Also brilliant for cleaning your tea and coffee cups instantly to save you have to scrub or bleach them. The sponge is a brilliant all round cleaner with the use of chemicals.

Beckymck Sun 15-Jan-17 00:08:44

The flash sponge is brilliant for all round cleaning WITHOUT chemicals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now