Talk

Advanced search

Rug Doctor - Anyone hired one and how good are they?

(37 Posts)
justbogoffnow Sat 25-Aug-12 15:31:26

I need to clean cream carpets which have various stains eg tea, coffee, blood, tar. Sounds awful but I did treat the spills and stains immediately - some came out fine, it's the ones where I couldn't fully remove them. Also there's general 'high traffic' marks on stairs etc.

I'm planning to buy a carpet cleaner but in the meantime £29 for 48 hour hire for a rug doctor sounds a good idea. I have read excellent reviews about results but would like any feedback from MN.

HecateHarshPants Sat 25-Aug-12 15:33:01

Yes, I hire it. I find it really good. My living room carpet is cream and it brings it up very well.

I don't use their rip off cleaning fluid at £20 a bloody bottle!

I use persil small and mighty.

It works really really well.

justbogoffnow Sat 25-Aug-12 15:58:40

Great tip about the persil small and mighty! How much do you dilute it by?
Have you found it good on stubborn stains that haven't come out when spot treated?

HecateHarshPants Sat 25-Aug-12 16:04:25

I just stick a decent glugful into the container and swish it around. It makes the carpet smell lovely too.

Yes, it's good on stains, used neat and scrubbed in. But obviously you have to make sure the carpet can take it by testing a bit that won't show.

I use bleach on my cream carpet. Well diluted of course. It brings it up beautifully. But not all carpets can take that!

betterwhenthesunshines Sat 25-Aug-12 18:56:29

I've also hired Rug Doctor, when the dog walked red oil paint throughout the house <evil eye at dog>. We spot cleaned with white spirit and then the Rug Doctor machine the next day. I was amazed at how much general filth came out... must do it again sometime.

stargirl1701 Sat 25-Aug-12 19:00:00

It certainly does work but it's easier to hire a bloody car!

I took my passport, driving licence and council tax bill (dated in that month) but it wasn't enough ID. Ridiculous!

HoratiaWinwood Sat 25-Aug-12 19:03:43

It is a lot of work and took aaaages to dry.

By contrast, getting a man in with a steam machine cost us a similar amount, was far cleaner, dried quicker, lasted longer, and was obviously far less effort (tidy up; open front door; make cup of tea).

whenyouseeitwaveorcheer Sat 25-Aug-12 19:09:05

I think it's great.

You can do it online now so don't need to do the ID stuff.

BerylStreep Sat 25-Aug-12 20:49:23

Have just hired one today. It's fab.

justbogoffnow Sat 25-Aug-12 23:02:41

Sounds good smile

How physically arduous is it? Eg just like hoovering, bit more effort than hoovering? Or loads more? Just wondering because I injured my back a few months ago - it's ok now but I still have to be a bit careful at the mo.

I'd love to get someone in to do it but need to spend that money on other things.

HecateHarshPants Sun 26-Aug-12 09:10:54

It's time consuming and you have to make sure you go over it a few times to make sure it's as dry as possible.

But I can't find someone who will clean all the carpets in my whole house for £35, which is what it costs to hire the machine for 2 days and buy the persil grin

I only need 2 forms of ID. I normally go in with my passport and my catalogue bill. Never had a problem.

The best bit is tipping away all the sludgy water. It's really satisfying grin

betterwhenthesunshines Sun 26-Aug-12 09:16:55

It is quite hard work as the water in the machine is heavy, but you have to go slowly anyway. The worst bit is moving all the furniture.

MoreBeta Sun 26-Aug-12 09:18:09

Yes they are good. I would not attempt to do a whole house though. They are hard work. If you have just one room (especially a childrens room) that needs a light clean its the best solution.

If you have a whole house book a professional cleaner with a van mounted machine - they leave carpets very dry and very clean.

picnicbasketcase Sun 26-Aug-12 09:20:38

I'm thinking about doing this, but is there a standard price or can you get it cheaper in different places? We were told £10 for the detergent, £29 for 48 hour hire, and they need a £25 deposit. Is that right?

HecateHarshPants Sun 26-Aug-12 09:27:59

I suppose it might vary. I've not been asked for a deposit.

And I don't buy the cleaner. I tell them I have some left over from last time.

HecateHarshPants Sun 26-Aug-12 09:28:32

oh, but actual rental is standard, I think. £20 for 24 hours £29 for 48

AKissIsNotAContract Sun 26-Aug-12 09:31:00

If anyone near me (W Sussex) is hiring one I have half a bottle of the cleaning fliud left from when I hired it.

Molehillmountain Sun 26-Aug-12 10:00:31

Hectare-do you use bio or non bio?

Molehillmountain Sun 26-Aug-12 10:00:50

Sorry-hectate

HecateHarshPants Sun 26-Aug-12 10:01:41

nope. try again grin

and I use bio, but I suppose either would do.

I bet it doesn't even have to be persil. Any good liquid would do.

Molehillmountain Sun 26-Aug-12 13:33:07

Hecate! How hard can I make it-sorry! I've read your nickname so many times and always thought there was a t in it. Many apologies and thanks for the tip.

HecateHarshPants Sun 26-Aug-12 14:06:02

grin don't worry about it. I answer to anything.

About half the people on here call me Hectate.

as long as they're talking to me, I don't care grin [needy]

justbogoffnow Sun 26-Aug-12 15:17:36

Ok, was thinking about using it to clean 2 large double rooms, 2 flights of stairs, 1 small bathroom and 1 small en-suite. No furniture to move because we'll have moved all furniture out. If it's back breaking (literally) then my back might not cope. Although I don't mind hiring it for 4 days and take it slower. What about furniture? Would like to restore a green and a primrose yellow colour sofa to some semblance of pre two dc's (now 9 and 11). Fed up with putting throws on all the time!

HecateHarshPants Sun 26-Aug-12 21:59:43

They do have an upholstery attachment. Don't know how good they are on furniture as never used one on it (leather sofas)

justbogoffnow Mon 27-Aug-12 01:46:58

Thanks HHP

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now