Talk

Advanced search

Cleaning stainless steel sinks?

(20 Posts)
Acceptableintheeighties Wed 24-Aug-11 08:40:14

have just had a new kitchen and have a stainless steel sink, my old one took a battering and I didn't really care what I used so long as it was clean blush

But now after five yrs of saving and getting a lovely kitchen I want to keep it as nice as i can( I know it won't happen with 3dc and dp but I can dream!). I've tried jif stainless steel cleaner which is giving a lovely shine but not getting out the tea stains.

Any ideas??

Whenisitmysleepytime Wed 24-Aug-11 09:12:51

Leave a dishwasher tablet in over night. Brought mine up a treat. And very low effort! smile
In the long term tea needs to be rinsed away IMO or it'll stain and stop leaving tea bags inthere as that was what made mine filthy.

SilveryMoon Wed 24-Aug-11 09:16:04

I don't leave tea bags in mine. I have a plastic cup on the kitchen counter that they get chucked in untilthe evening when I throw it away.
I'd really recommend giving the sink a wipe round after each use, then dry it with a tea towel and buff it with window cleaner.
My sink is lovely!

Acceptableintheeighties Wed 24-Aug-11 11:16:09

Thanks, will stick a tablet in tonight.
The bloody annoying thing is we don't drink tea! Only visitors and the bags go straight in the food waste caddy on the side so don't really know why it's so bad?

QueeferSutherland Wed 24-Aug-11 12:23:50

Barman's friend is good, I find. It comes up satisfyingly shiny.

Fuzzled Wed 24-Aug-11 13:04:21

Cif do a stainless steel cleaner in a spray (silver bottle IIRC) which works wonders for my hob/kettle/utensil holder.

Doesn't smell too bad and clears smears too. smile

cat64 Wed 24-Aug-11 13:11:12

Message withdrawn

Solo Wed 24-Aug-11 13:15:00

Bar keepers friend.

Vinegar for limescale.

EPPP Wed 24-Aug-11 13:35:34

Method spray is fab. Before that I used to fill the sink with hot water and bicarb once a week.

pookypup Wed 24-Aug-11 13:52:43

Shiny sinks is the best stainless steel cleaner we have ever found. It easily takes out tea stains. It can be a little hard to find, though large supermarkets do stock it. Think my last lot came from tesco online delivery, for about £1.50. I have to bulk buy for my grandma who loves it too!

It was also recommended by Franke who made my lovely new sink.

MrsRobertDuvall Wed 24-Aug-11 13:54:02

Shiny sinks is great.

BonzoDooDah Wed 24-Aug-11 13:58:04

Another call for Shiny Sinks - marvelous stuff and smells weirdly gorgeous too.

sweetpb Wed 24-Aug-11 17:48:11

Brillo pads! best thing, this is what i use at work and the soap in them bring it up great, if you dont want anything as harsh as the actual pad, wet it and ring out the soap x

Bonsoir Wed 24-Aug-11 17:51:49

Tea stains are a killer - try not to get them in the first place!

OnlyWantsOne Wed 24-Aug-11 18:09:24

I fill mine up with hot water and chuck a load of bleach in... then scrub it

But then again, thats my cleaning method for most things...

PaulaYatesBiggesFan Wed 24-Aug-11 18:11:13

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

oksonowwhat Wed 24-Aug-11 19:50:20

I just limelite and find it is brilliant.

Robotindisguise Thu 25-Aug-11 12:09:50

Another vote for shiny sinks - and I agree it smells lovely in an odd sort of way!

Icelollycraving Sat 27-Aug-11 06:34:25

Shiny sinks is great,cif cream cleanser is also very good. Don't use Brillo pads on a new sink,they scratch!

Acceptableintheeighties Sat 27-Aug-11 17:32:26

Onlywantsone that was my prefered method but think that may have contributed to the terrible state of the sink when it was carted out!

Will check out this shiny sinks, not heard of it before. Although a friend was withering on about bar feelers friend as well so may have a shine off between the two!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now