Talk

Advanced search

Is it easy to make roller blinds?

(14 Posts)
Tia4 Sun 29-May-11 17:08:00

Or even cost effective? I see lots of lovely fabric but usually only plain (or plain-ish) blinds are available to buy and I fancy something a bit special!

Thanks, Tia.

muttimalzwei Sun 29-May-11 18:22:41

It's not that hard. If you get the roller blind fittings (bracket, roller, rod and pullcord) and then you need to cut the material with good sharp scissors and use something called Stifstuf to harden the fabric. Then you can glue it on to the top of the roller and glue and fold the fabric around the rod at the bottom.
Mine look quite good, but I have to admit I didn't buy my own fittings, I just dismantled the hideous ones that were in the house when we moved in. They do look ok though..

muttimalzwei Sun 29-May-11 18:23:13

I did it with offcuts of fabric from John Lewis and they do look good.

muttimalzwei Sun 29-May-11 18:27:10

If it's Roamn blinds get a seamstress to do them for you. My mate does them and charges about £80.

YesterdaysPants Sun 29-May-11 18:27:36

The website 247blinds is so cheap, check out their prices before starting your own! They custom make and can deliver in 24hrs. I love the opportunity to rave about how amazing they are grin I got wooden Venetian blinds from them and they are just stunning.

Cutiecat Sun 29-May-11 20:20:55

I just made one this week and it is a lengthy process stiffening the fabric and ironing it. My fabric shrank a bit during this process which was not the end of the world but frustrating. I would recommend a side winding mechanism over a central pull cord, it is much easier to hang.

mollymole Sun 29-May-11 21:07:24

roman blinds are easy - you can get instructions on website with pics of how to thread them up.

basically two pieces of fabric, one for the lining - one for front - lining needs to be longer but narrower than front - depending on length of blins make
three or fours tucks at regular spaces widthwise and machine these, these will form the tubes for the rods - (the rods i usually get in very light pieces of wood from local diy store - or try B&Q - no need to pay for fancy 'roman blind kits - sew back fabric to front fabric down both outside edges and then when you pull it tight you will have the two side 'hems' on the reverse (called 'bagging lining') hem the bottom and sew your velcro to the inside of the top, tucking under the top raw edge

you need a batton to put the blind on which needs fixing up like a curtain pole - before putting it up paint it. or cover with matching fabric and then stick the other 1/2 of the velcro to it - (you can get a batton from the DIY shop to the measurements you need )

thread up the blind using a diagram from the web - buy a catch for the wall to wind the string to when the blind is up and a bottom - like a light pull bottom - to thread all your cords throught and knot it so it can't escape

hope this is ok for you - you can practice using a couple of hankies to get the method right

PlanetEarth Sun 29-May-11 21:52:07

Roller blinds are very easy. I've made 2 lots though and made a couple of mistakes with one lot.

Mistake 1 - fabric. A heavy fabric won't take the stiffening spray. You use loads of spray and they still end up a bit lumpy. Cotton or something works better.

Mistake 2 - spraying. Make sure you have somewhere indestructible to do the spraying, like a garage or a garden, or an undecorated room. Otherwise, it will go all over and not come off. You have been warned!

Cutiecat Mon 30-May-11 00:40:43

I soaked cotton in the stiffening liquid which wad £4 in john lewis and hung on the line. You have to rotate it to stop it getting distorted. I let it get a bit too dry in the sun and had to iron it loads. Would have been easier to iron when damp.

I have made roman blinds in the past and found them quite easy. Like with making curtains you need to have a large flat area to lay it all out.

Good luck.

Tia4 Mon 30-May-11 08:45:59

Oooh thank you all for the great tips! I have decided to give it a go by dismantling the one already up in the spare room. I was hoping not to have to stiffen my fabric (the one I've seen is upholstery fabric - quite thick) but maybe it's a necessity. I am off to check out the 247blinds website now so thank you for that link too.

Have a great day everyone!

Tia.

muttimalzwei Tue 31-May-11 15:06:08

I didin't stiffen the little one I put up in the kitchen - it's more cosmetic than functional and that worked out ok?

newshoes121 Thu 09-Jun-11 19:59:59

The site www.orderblinds.co.uk offer roller blinds really cheap as well. They also offer a service where you can send them your fabric have it laminated and made into a blind and then sent back to you. Although more expensive it creates a much nicer finish. Hope this helps

smartshopper1 Thu 04-Dec-14 18:39:59

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Lilnikkiuk Tue 18-Apr-17 16:26:20

My little one started waking up really early as soon as the light mornings started again! My friend told me about blackout blinds. I had never heard of them. We have just bought some from this site www.blinds-to-order.co.uk - great quality and cheap. My little ones sleep pattern still varies but i have noticed shes sleeping a little longer smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now