Talk

Advanced search

I bought a magimix!!! But it scares me a little- please inspire me

(14 Posts)
soppypreggyloon Sat 01-Jan-11 11:41:45

I splashed out ALL my Christmas money on a magimix. I am very excited now I have it but it is a but intimidating- it's all professional looking and sharp and new!
Can you inspire me with some top tips - or even better some fail safe recipes.

TIA!

BlooKangaWonders Sat 01-Jan-11 11:47:30

Inspired by Jamie O, I whizzed a packet of frozen mixed berries, squirt of runny honey and carton of double cream. Instant ice cream and so yum!

My Magimix is now 2 weeks old and becoming less scary !

MakemineaGandT Sat 01-Jan-11 11:52:58

oh brilliant purchase! I love my magimix and make loads in it - pastry (so quick and easy! - for a 20cm quiche just put in 8oz plain flour, 4oz butter, blend till looks like breadcrumbs and then slowly drip/pour cold water down the funnel till it comes together as pastry. Rest in fridge 30 mins wrapped in clingfilm, then use....). I make cake mixture in there (6oz butter, 6oz sugar - blend till light and fluffy. Beat together 3 eggs in a jug and pour slowly down funnel whilst machine going till all combined. Then add 6oz SR flour and blend for as little time as poss. Then bake in 2 sandwich tins 180 degrees for 25 mins).

I also use it to slice potatoes/parsnips/celeriac nice and thinly to make a lovely gratin with half milk/half double cream and lots of black pepper and a little crushed garlic.

Smoked mackerel pate is v easy made in magimix (can look up recipe if you like...)

Oh I couldn't live without mine!

MakemineaGandT Sat 01-Jan-11 11:55:53

How could I have forgotten: HOUMMUS! It makes really great stuff. One tin (400g) chick peas, drained. 2 tablespoons tahini paste. 2 tablespoons olive oil. Juice 2 lemons. 1 small clove garlic. Lots salt and pepper. Blend till smooth and add water to thin to the right consistency if it is too thick.

LoveBeingADaddysGirl Sat 01-Jan-11 12:45:13

I was going to suggest pastry really it will be worth the money just for that!

IAmReallyFabNow Sat 01-Jan-11 12:48:11

Ooooo, this is what I want when my food processor/mixer breaks. I am torn between a Kenwood and a Magimix.

I used to make pastry but now feel it will go wrong.

PonceyMcPonce Sat 01-Jan-11 13:26:10

I have a longing for a magi mix. What else can you do with it? And what colour did you buy?

isw Sat 01-Jan-11 13:28:55

marks place

soppypreggyloon Sat 01-Jan-11 15:29:31

I got a White one as I thought a plastic finish would be easier to clean my messy cooking spills from!

arabella36 Sat 01-Jan-11 15:32:18

What's the difference between a magimix and a food processor? Is it a lot better?

kayah Sat 01-Jan-11 15:44:52

isn't the difference in the power of engine, so bowls are larger and has greater life span
I am hoping to get Kitchen Aid from the US (one with powerfull engine)

BlooKangaWonders Sat 01-Jan-11 15:49:57

Magimix feels industrial as it's so solid. Feels like it could never go wrong. My old food processor was just so flimsy by comparison.

beanandspud Sun 02-Jan-11 22:21:20

I'm sad enough to admit that I love my magimix. Just made about 4 litres of soup from leftovers in it. Fantastic for pastry, grating veggies for coleslaws/gratins etc, pates, pesto. Would never go back...

Mostynpark Mon 10-Feb-14 11:33:24

A Magimix is great. I've had the same one for 30 years and the main reason I bought it was to mince my own meat - you know what you're getting then! The motor is extremely powerful and the Sabatier cutting blade is sharp

I use it to make pastry (great, quick) and to grate/slice/chop veg. So, for example, when you're cooking and to minimise washing up, you might slice veg for a coleslaw and then parsley for a stew...and then garlic and ginger together if you're making a curry etc. It's also great for whizzing up a tin of good tomatoes for a sauce (again, you know what you're getting). You can whiz up pizza dough quickly or enough dough for a small loaf. You'd get most out of it if you plan your food prep/cooking session in advance so you can use it to prepare a whole raft of things in advance.

So, it is economical and you know what you're getting in terms of your prime ingredients. It doesn't take up a lot of space and it saves time too.

The downside is you must not put the mixing bowl in the dishwasher. I know you are supposed to be able to but it weakens the bowl. That said, 25 years ago I noticed the bowl was degrading a bit in the dishwasher so I stopped putting it in. That bowl finally gave up the ghost last year and I had to have a replacement.

You can, however, put the blades/attachments in the dishwasher.

If you have all the kitchen basics, have some spare cash (or a birthday coming up) then this is a wise investment if you like making things from scratch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now