Talk

Advanced search

Is late 40s too late to have a 5 year plan?

(7 Posts)
YaWeeShit Thu 11-Jun-20 19:51:37

As with a lot of people, Covid has got me thinking about life choices etc. However, due to being a full time carer for my disabled adult DD, my choices are somewhat limited I feel.

I am pondering the possibility of a five year plan, where I can return to some sort of paid employment (caring responsibilities still present but less if I can build up to having some help with that!). I will be 52 though.

I am a qualified social worker but haven’t worked since DD was young - nearly 20 years ago, as caring needs took over. I don’t want to go back to social work. Trouble is, I have no idea what I could do blush

I’m more than happy to retrain from home from during the next few years, and quite fancy a civil service type job - I’ve had some excellent service from there myself and am keen to pay it back iyswim, but I don’t have any kind of experience in that area.

Alternatively I was looking at accountancy courses - but realistically would that lead to employment in my 50’s?

I think the thought of returning to the work force after so long is scaring the life out of me, but once DD moves into supported living I would like to work.

Looking for advice and opinions I guess flowers

OP’s posts: |
FluffBalled Thu 11-Jun-20 21:40:50

Go for it!

I don't think age should be a reason not to try. Have you looked at OU or your local uni to see if there are any courses you could do from home now?

I have a friend who volunteers for citizens advice, there is a fair bit of training but then just a day a week and they employ paid workers too so that is a future option for her. Presumably your experience dealing with disability support agencies can be turned into useful info on your cv?

I am in a similar situation so very interested to see how you get on grin

Isleepinahedgefund Fri 12-Jun-20 10:38:07

Never too late for a plan!

You'll have lots of experience for civil service jobs, even if it's from a long time ago. We have new entrants of all ages and this means we get to benefit from a huge range of life experiences and skills. If you looked for a finance type job you'd probably get some formal training paid for too.

I think a good path might be to start some voluntary work as soon as you're able - that always looks good on a CV when you're returning to the workplace whatever it is, because it says to employers "I want to work, I will put in the effort".

Ragwort Fri 12-Jun-20 10:42:16

Of course it's not too late, a lot of employers value 'mature' employees. I returned to work in my mid 50s after a 12 year break, my DH has just been offered a fab new job (even during Covid!) at 60.

Be positive and good luck.

planningaheadtoday Fri 12-Jun-20 10:45:15

I could have written your post word for word! I'm following with interest as I'd love to get back into meaningful employment.

Sweetlikecoca Fri 12-Jun-20 10:51:43

Your not too old. I’m sure you have plenary of skills and you will be able to quickly brush up on skills.
It’s great your thinking about getting into employment. I work with many people who are 60+ and many of them choose to work not really for the finicial aspect of things. It keeps the mind active and I think some of them don’t know what they would do if they didn’t.

YaWeeShit Fri 12-Jun-20 16:18:41

Thank you! It’s really inspired me to look into things a bit more . I have completed an OAU degree over the past 6 years, and would love to study more but I’m not sure re funding for postgraduate courses - I’m currently on UC.

Volunteer work is a good shout as well - one of my social worker placements was on the CAB and I keep myself very up to do with welfare rights so I think that may be good to revisit.

Thanks again, and good luck to others in a similar position smile

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in