Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Deodorant and children

(22 Posts)
maresedotes Fri 21-May-10 12:08:51

Can anyone recommend a deodorant for children please? I have had a quick trawl on the internet but would prefer a few pointers. My 8 year old dd has a daily bath and washes her armpits but sometimes smells a little after school. It's not so bad that anyone else notices it (so far) but with the warm weather coming up I was wondering whether deodorant is a good idea?

All advice greatly appreciated.

MaryAnnSingleton Fri 21-May-10 12:19:02

you could try one without aluminium in - from health food shops. Ds is 12 and has an ordinary men's deodorant.I'd be a bit wary of an 8 yr old having a 'full strength' version...

BendyBob Fri 21-May-10 12:24:20

My dd was using Bionsen (I use it too) It's aluminium and paraben free comes in roll on or a pump spray.

But then she wanted to try another one and currently we are on a Salt of the Earth pump spray one (also free from nasties) which I found in Holland and Barrett.

Actually I noticed they seem to have quite a good selection, but I've found it harder to get pump sprays (which we prefer) to roll ons.

SixtyFootDoll Fri 21-May-10 12:26:10

second Bionsen, ds 1 uses it he is now 10, but started d at 8, the pit roc is quite good too,

BendyBob Fri 21-May-10 12:29:10

Btw Bionsen isn't usually in Holland and Barrett - not the ones I go into anyway. Boots is your best bet if you're looking for that one, I've found.

paisleyleaf Fri 21-May-10 12:33:31

There are also those crystal salt ones.

Elibean Fri 21-May-10 12:55:36

dd uses Tom's

maresedotes Fri 21-May-10 13:12:42

Thank you all very much for your suggestions.

Beaaware Fri 21-May-10 14:06:17

my favourite aluminium & paraben free deodorant is "Ice Guard" roll on, website on bottle is www.optimah.com

Mercedes Fri 21-May-10 16:26:47

This is so useful - I was planning to ask for advice on this issue.

Sooty7 Fri 21-May-10 16:59:58

Message withdrawn

Meid Sun 23-May-10 19:09:00

I found one for my DD in The Body Shop. It was made from aromatherapy oils and seems to work well.

kellym Tue 29-Jan-13 09:51:56

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

HazeltheMcWitch Tue 19-Feb-13 15:53:29

Kellym - are you going to bumping ALL old deodorant threads ? Funny, you mentioned the deo in the pic, on that other thread too...

DebK2012 Tue 19-Feb-13 16:20:35

The purple or pink sure ones are great for young girls!

prettyanddainty Tue 19-Feb-13 17:22:10

I use Toms of maines om my dd. There are no nasties in the brand, and it lasts all day.
www.amazon.co.uk/Toms-Maine-Calendula-Lasting-Deodorant/dp/B001EJOQ60/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1361294497&sr=8-4
Lovely smell aswell.

Branleuse Tue 19-Feb-13 17:25:01

i got a really nice coconut one from marks and spencers for my ds

Elibean Tue 19-Feb-13 18:25:38

dd1 has had slightly whiffy pits from age 5, on and off, sadly - though sometimes went months without any BO at all so presumably came and went with hormonal surges.

She's been fine with Tom's of Maine till now, but its really not effective anymore (she's 9 now, and has started developing a bit more generally). I was wondering what the next step up was? Pit roc does absolutely nothing, though Bionsen does seem to work if she puts lots on....

seeker Tue 19-Feb-13 18:31:15

But please, if the "natural" ones don't work, and they often don't, let her use a "proper" one. Particularly if she does sport or wears a Lycra leotard for dance or gym.

Elibean Tue 19-Feb-13 18:32:38

Exactly. Any tips for the 'not so natural' next step up ones please? I'm not very sweaty myself, so Tom's works for me - but dd is going to be different in that respect I think.

seeker Tue 19-Feb-13 18:36:28

My dd used Simple anti perspirant. Deodorant alone wasn't enough, particularly when she was wearing the dreaded Lycra. Then that wasn't enough, and she over ruled me and went straight for Mitchum's Nuclear deterrent!

SuzieQueue Sun 14-Feb-16 00:00:40

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now