Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

can i ask a quick question about calpol without this turning into a massive troll inhabited thread do you think???

(68 Posts)
Heathcliffscathy Mon 25-Jul-05 20:23:00

as some of you may have noticed, i'm a bit hippy dippy, so along with antibiotics don't like using calpol/medised etc. i see a homeopath with ds and try to use alternative medicines as much as possible.

however, if I think that ds is really in pain, and homeopathic remedy doesn't seem to be doing it, I do use calpol. a fellow mner that i know irl told me she spoke to peadiatrician who told her that if we as adults experienced teething we would go mad with the pain of it, and having had toothache I can well believe this is true. so if i think that ds is in pain from teething, i want to relieve that.

however, i'm concerned by how often and for how long this is: for example, sometimes ds has a spoon of calpol (sometimes two) for 5 or 6 nights on the trot.

recently he has taken to pointing at his mouth and saying 'teeth, sore' (he understands what both of these words mean). he also sometimes asks for 'med' (medicine).

I"m getting paranoid that he just wants calpol (can he be addicted...don't laugh)...but can a 21 month old lie about stuff like that? would they? he may have some back molars coming though, but it's hard to tell, he doesn't have the red cheeks that he has sometimes (altho not always had). anyhow, tonight i tried ashton and parsons powders but he cried when i put him to bed and said 'teeth, sore' and pointed at the calpol (!) so i gave him a spoon.

any advice on this? am i right to be concerned? or just mad?

happymerryberries Mon 25-Jul-05 20:25:54

Or the other option, 'just a mum' We all end up a bag of worries don't we?!

The warning about porlonged use of the bottle to to try to prevent people trating problems for a loh=ng time that realy need a doctor to sort them out as they might need some other form of treatment IYSWIM

You can't get addicted to calpol, the poor lamb is just sore and wants it the sore to go away I think

spursmum Mon 25-Jul-05 20:27:28

of course they can lie!! Dr Robert Winston did a study that showed that lying is inbuilt from the age of around 18 months!! i don't think that your child is addicted to the calpol as such, just the sickly sweet taste!! try giving half a dose and slowly reducing it till he gives up(hopefully!!)

Gobbledigook Mon 25-Jul-05 20:27:53

Paracetamol is in no way addictive so, no, he won't be 'addicted to it' (some people become 'addicted' to painkillers but this is more of a psychological addiction than a physical one and usually in adults on long term medication for a chronic condition).

Either, his teeth are still sore or he likes the attention and cuddles that perhaps go with the calpol when he is in pain?

NotQuiteCockney Mon 25-Jul-05 20:30:02

I agree that he's much more likely to be enjoying the taste than hooked on the drug.

But from my experience, lying starts more around 3 years, not 21 months! If he can't settle himself to sleep, and you're only giving one dose per day, giving calpol doesn't seem like an error.

SoupDragon Mon 25-Jul-05 20:30:06

Calpol is sweet and I bet your DS simply likes the taste of it rather than being addicted to it. He knows that complaining about sore teeth will get him some nice sweet stuff.

1 or 2 doses out of a possible 4 per day isn't going to get him addicted.

Heathcliffscathy Mon 25-Jul-05 20:30:52

he gets more cuddles than he knows what to do with gdg! at all times of day and night if awake so i don't think it's that. also he hasn't really got a sweet tooth tbh, so not sure it's the sugar....like i say, he'll go without anything for a couple of weeks, but then he'll have a run of quite a few nights when he's saying teeth/sore and asking for medicine. hmb, thanks for that, i think you may be right, but can teething really go on for this long????? seems like years now....he has eye teeth and then one molar behind that through, how many more to go??? and when do they usually come through????

Heathcliffscathy Mon 25-Jul-05 20:31:42

oh btw, he doesn't just say teeth/sore at bedtime, he's as likely to say it at the top of the slide in the playground (almost his favourite place)....

Heathcliffscathy Mon 25-Jul-05 20:32:50

is there an option that tastes horrible, so i can rule out sugar craving???

chicagomum Mon 25-Jul-05 20:33:01

i've had the same with my dd whose 3.5 now i don't think its addiction but either they like the taste of the medicine or they are able to make the connection with the medicine and the absence/alleviation of the pain/symptoms. when she's been given medicine for a stomach bug (antibiotics - which i really didn't want her to have but i guess she needed them)when she was 24months she didn't like the taste so claimed her stomach was "all better" although the presence of severe diarrohea said otherwise

SoupDragon Mon 25-Jul-05 20:33:06

Molars take longer to break through I think. They're big and blunt!

kcemum Mon 25-Jul-05 20:34:05

Teeth have to move quite a way befor they break the gum and this alone will be enough to cause pain, have you tried the teething powders that Boots do?

happymerryberries Mon 25-Jul-05 20:35:02

There is a sugar free version btw

spursmum Mon 25-Jul-05 20:35:28

the lie wasn't a big one. it was just that the kids were told not to look at a toy under a blanket when the person left the room. nearly every kid looked and then said "no i didn't"!!!

chicagomum Mon 25-Jul-05 20:37:57

if he's got the molars through behind the canines then he's only got 4 more teeth to come through right at the back which can come in ant time in the next 6 months or so (and then your off the hook until he's about 6 when he starts losing teeth and getting adult ones although this is generally not much of a prob as they come through "non-virgin" gum so to speak)

happymerryberries Mon 25-Jul-05 20:38:09

Monkeys will 'lie' as well, or at least mislead other monkeys. I knew someone who used to research this!

TracyK Mon 25-Jul-05 20:39:00

I think they know when they are hurting - I usually give ds just a half spoonful if I think he's got sore teeth. So maybe give a little and see if it helps. ds lead me one day a couple of months ago from downstairs to up in his bedroom into his nappy box to get some calpol - he was howling and pointing and it took me a good 15 mins to work out what he wanted. 5 mins later he was all smiles again. So I'd offer it to him if he asks.

Heathcliffscathy Mon 25-Jul-05 20:40:28

phew chicago mum, i hope it's soon. hmb, i'd rather give him sugar than sweeteners any day (only personal opinion, no offence to no sugar version users)!

ok, i'll just keep trying not to give it, and at the same time trying to make sure he isn't in pain...sort of thing....

Heathcliffscathy Mon 25-Jul-05 20:41:33

tracyk, poor thing....what a sweetie, they are all trying so hard at this age to be understood and sometimes we do but sometimes we're so lousy at it!, at least i know i am!

TinyGang Mon 25-Jul-05 20:43:28

I use Calpol for pain, but it's never the first resort and not for the littlest thing. I have to be convinced that it's really necessary and do not use it long term.

Also, when mine had vaccinations as babies, the nurse told me to go home and give them Calpol straight away; well, I prefer to see how things pan out - and often they were quite ok without it. I am always surprised at how often I am advised at the doctors to use it for just about anything and everything - they positively encourage it (rather too often imho).

I have noticed all of my children will tell me they need some medicine for the smallest thing. If one has to have some, they all come up with a case for having some too (don't worry, I don't hand it round, but they do look keen to have it!) This is because Calpol is bright pink and sweet and sticky - they think it tastes rather nice and that is why they want it.

chicagomum Mon 25-Jul-05 20:44:30

do you try any other methods to relive the pain cool teething rings hard foods teething gels etc

TracyK Mon 25-Jul-05 20:49:26

don't know what's in medised or baby nerofen - but ds is NOT keen on those ones. maybe not as sickly swwet. calpol is strawberry isn't it?
or you can request suppositories if he would prefer!!!!

TinyGang Mon 25-Jul-05 20:54:36

Just read your post again Sophable - I did not pick up on the teething you mentioned. Of course that can be horrible and can go on for some time. Your ds probably just wants the pain to go away and is not addicted to calpol. Providing the dr was happy I would give calpol as required to get over this rough time.

Sorry, my last post wasn't meant to suggest teething is a little thing at all. Hope he feels LOTS better soon poor chap.

Caligula Mon 25-Jul-05 20:58:04

Blimey how can anyone troll about calpol???

Sophable, you can buy a chemist's own brand version - you might be able to get hold of a flavour he doesn't like?

katymac Mon 25-Jul-05 21:02:06

I used to give DD a spoon of neat ribena - if I wasn't sure, then if it calmed her down - she wanted sugar and if it didn't I gave calpol 20-30 mins later

Maybe not politically correct - but it worked

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now