Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

advice following tooth extraction - I'm in PAIN!

(98 Posts)
imaginaryfriend Wed 16-Jul-08 22:44:21

I've had a troublesome tooth since March and after repeated attempts at root canals I had it removed today hoping I'd finally be pain-free. Unfortunately I'm in such agony this evening I'm worried something is wrong as I've had extractions before and not felt anything like this.

I suspect the blood clot may have come off the wound - if that's the case will it not heal? Will it become infected?

Any advice at all about what I should / could do?

imaginaryfriend Wed 16-Jul-08 23:02:02

pllleeeeeeezzzzzzz

Kif Wed 16-Jul-08 23:04:33

err - I'd call your dentist.

my dh was tld by the dentist to rinse with salt water after 24 hours - but to beware of 'dry socket' - ie losing clot.

didn't you get any super power prescription pain killers from dentist? which tooth.

hope it feels better soon.

HumphreyCushioni Wed 16-Jul-08 23:04:35

Don't know, I'm afraid.
But bumping.
Hope you feel better soon.

watsthestory Wed 16-Jul-08 23:05:04

Message withdrawn

thisisyesterday Wed 16-Jul-08 23:07:38

if the blood clot has come away you will have what is known as a "dry socket"
it's very, very painful and you will need to get it seen to. call your dentist in the morning and get an emergency appt.
Normally with an extraction ibuprofen and paracetamol should make the pain go away pretty much, you shouldn't be in agony

SazzlesA Wed 16-Jul-08 23:10:47

Message withdrawn

Tiggiwinkle Wed 16-Jul-08 23:11:29

Dry socket is very, very painful. You need to get it cleaned out by your dentist asap. Try taking paracetamol/codeine if you have any in the meantime.

imaginaryfriend Wed 16-Jul-08 23:17:17

How do I know if I have dry socket? When I look at it, the hole still has some black clot in it but there's a sort of pink spongy bit in the middle too.

I have such trouble with antibiotics though, allergic to penicillin and the Eurythromycin family.

imaginaryfriend Wed 16-Jul-08 23:17:58

I've been taking paracetamol and neurofen so far. I don't have any codeine.

Joolyjoolyjoo Wed 16-Jul-08 23:21:05

Don't know enough to recommend anything really, but overheard a woman in the chemist getting absenol (its a local anaesthetic) for a sore tooth/ gum- might help?? Could be worth speaking to a pharmacist if your dentist isn't available

imaginaryfriend Wed 16-Jul-08 23:22:04

I can't imagine getting any sleep tonight. Or making it to work tomorrow. It feels like my whole jaw is throbbing.

thisisyesterday Wed 16-Jul-08 23:22:40

you'll need the dentist to diagnose it. but seing as you felt like some of the clot had come out, and the amount of pain you're in it sounds like it could very likely be it.

see what it's like in the morning. the pain really ought to be manageable on paracetamol and ibuprofen. if it isn't then there is something wrong. so get that emergency appt.

imaginaryfriend Wed 16-Jul-08 23:32:19

I'll see the dentist in the morning I think. I'm so fed up of bloody tooth pain. I thought getting the thing out would be the end of it.

vInTaGeVioLeT Thu 17-Jul-08 10:20:37

i'd recommend arnica tablets - these are good for bruising shock and following tooth extraction - i'd get the 30x strength.
you can get them in health food shops or boots.

hope you feel better soon.

Ripeberry Thu 17-Jul-08 11:09:18

Hi, i've just had my tooth out as well! and it was done at 10.15am this morning and the pain is just begining to hit!
I'm in this with you, hope we get some good advice.
My dentist told me to take nurofen and then paracetamol and then back to nurofen.
The worst part i'm finding is that we are not allowed to rinse out.
He also told me some bits of bone might work their way out...aaarrghh!
Never had an extraction done and he had to do it in 3 parts as it was a MASSIVE tooth and the cracking sounds made me feel faint.
Afterwards they gave me a glucose drink and made me lie down because i was shaking.
Not nice at all.

imaginaryfriend Thu 17-Jul-08 21:46:33

Ripeberry, I had to have that sugary drink too!
I needed it after having the anaesthetic jab which made me really light-headed, my dentist said it was to do with the adrenaline in it.

But I have to say, touch wood, I'm much better today. I felt awful last night but I did get some sleep and today have felt mostly very sore and achy. I still think I might have lost that blood clot but as it's much less painful I'm going to stick with it.

So have you started your salt mouth rinses yet? smile

southeastastra Thu 17-Jul-08 21:48:22

too soon for a dry socket, it's probably the infection still, have you got ab's?

imaginaryfriend Thu 17-Jul-08 21:53:47

No, she didn't give me abs as the infection wasn't that bad.

When does dry socket show then?

southeastastra Thu 17-Jul-08 22:13:13

dry socket comes about 5 days after. don't smoke or use straws.

Goober Thu 17-Jul-08 22:21:00

Ripeberry. Tis me again!
Imaginaryfriend. I also had one out at 11.15 today.
I wouldn't reccomend it.

imaginaryfriend Thu 17-Jul-08 22:44:00

How are you feeling Goober?

I've been googling dry tooth and most sites say it starts 2 -4 days after extraction and you should be feeling steadily worsening pain as the days go by.

Has anyone had dry socket?

Ripeberry Fri 18-Jul-08 09:15:40

Right! and ditching my straw. Just have to spoon feed myself lying down at an angle, this is going to be messy!

Goober Fri 18-Jul-08 09:36:07

Howdy Fellow Gappy people.
Dosed myself up with Ibuprofen and Paracetamol last night and slept like a good'n. More readybrek this morning. Pain not too bad, sore in the actual site and still bleeding on and off - depending on how much I am doing. Bearable at the mo.

How are you two coping? Not too much pain I hope?

imaginaryfriend Fri 18-Jul-08 11:11:51

I'm still panicking at the thought of 'dry socket' ... When I look at the socket it doesn't have a dark black clot on it, kind of a bitty looking deep purplish clot with some pale pink skin coming in from around the edges.

Can we compare clots?!

I had 2-3 hours yesterday evening with no pain at all but it's sore again today and I keep getting sudden shooting pains in my jaw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now