Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is there a problem with long term taking of iron tablets

(16 Posts)
NAB3 Tue 02-Oct-07 08:11:08

and does the helpful (I am less tired) wear off after a while? I feel it has at the moment.

TheBlonde Tue 02-Oct-07 08:13:50

really they should be looking to treat the cause of your anaemia

NAB3 Tue 02-Oct-07 08:15:09

My haemoglobin had dropped and then went up again after the iron tablets but I wasn't dx as having anaemia. Just shattered from life I guess.

sKerryMum Tue 02-Oct-07 08:15:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

saggarmakersbottomknocker Tue 02-Oct-07 08:31:58

Not sure what you mean by not being dx'd as anaemic NAB3. How did you know about your hb and did the GP prescribe the iron? If you hb is low then you're anaemic but he should look at why.
I'm regularly anaemic due to heavy periods and a short cycle. GP says you can't fill a bath when the plugs out hence I take iron regularly otherwise it just drops again come my next period.

NAB3 Tue 02-Oct-07 14:23:10

What I meant was the doctor didn't tell me in so many words that I was anaemic but I could have missed that with having such a lot going on. Chances are I have been if I'm not now. I had blood tests and the GP told me the haemoglobin numbers, which is why he said iron tablets. I'm not sure how long to carry on with them.

saggarmakersbottomknocker Tue 02-Oct-07 14:30:16

ah I see NAB. So yes you were anaemic but he didn't give an indication as to why?

What dose are you taking? I sometimes feel an inital 'boost' that wears off but then returns as I continue taking the tablets.

NAB3 Tue 02-Oct-07 16:41:09

Maybe as a busy mum of 3 little ones? Not eating properly? Suffering from PND? I am taking ane a day of 200mg.

Cappuccino Tue 02-Oct-07 16:42:02

they make your poo black

though I don't think this hurts you

it is just alarming

NAB3 Tue 02-Oct-07 17:02:01

No, my poo is okay thanks.

shrooms Tue 02-Oct-07 17:47:25

If iron defiency is the cause of low haemoglobin then the pills effectiveness wouldn't just wear off. It is not a drug, but an essential mineral, so will not cause any side effects as long as the dose isn't too high for you.

saggarmakersbottomknocker Tue 02-Oct-07 18:00:58

NAB - I take 200mg ferrous sulphate (equiv to 65mg iron) but really that's my maintenance dose. Depending on your levels you could take 3 a day to improve your hb initially and then 1 a day to keep it up.

Anaemia can be because there are less red blood cells than normal, or because there is not enough hb in each cell. Sort of quality and quantity.

How long have you been on them. Maybe you should have a retest - see if there has been any improvement.

NAB3 Tue 02-Oct-07 18:15:42

Just took 1 a day but not sure why. I have been on them for about 4-5 months. Had a test last month and all was ok.

NannyL Tue 02-Oct-07 19:24:55

i used to be on iron tablets

i remember reading an article (from a credible source) about how having lots of iron in you a llot (ie taking iron tablet long term) puts you at a much greater rsik of bowel cancer.

I have not taken an iron tablet since

saggarmakersbottomknocker Wed 03-Oct-07 11:29:03

I think I read that article NannyL also one (it could have been the same one) about iron and Vit C. Usually they tell you to take your iron with Vit C as it aids absorbtion but this article said that large amounts of Vit C increase the toxicity of iron. There's also a couple of papers on whether it's more beneficial to take iron in short bursts and then have days off.

It's so confusing. Long term anaemia isn't good for you either. I suppose the answer is dietary iron but if you're seriously anaemic then you need more liver and spinach than you can stomach.

NAB - did you have a thyroid test? As you say maybe it's just life grinding you down - I can sympathise with that.

NAB3 Wed 03-Oct-07 19:07:25

Don't know about thyroid but I know my Grandma had thyroid trouble. Assuming under active as she was a large lady.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now