Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

52 small changes - Week 22

(21 Posts)
NightWanderer Tue 24-May-16 14:38:25

Sorry for the delay in posting this blush

Week 22 - Downshift Your Dairy

Downshift from whole-fat dairy to low-fat (1%) or fat-free dairy.

Not just milk but also dairy such as yoghurt, cheese, and ice cream. It says dairy is good as it's high in protein and calcium, but unfortunately is also high in saturated fat which is bad.

Last week's challenge

8FencingWire Tue 24-May-16 19:45:36

Thank you!
I don't think it's a good ide, this one, yes, in a 1% fat there's less fat, but at least 11-12% sugar to compensate for the fact it would taste like nothing.
Am I missing something?

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Tue 24-May-16 20:00:57

Oh dear, I just decided yesterday that I'm going to do a few weeks high fat/low carb!
I did it a couple of years ago and lost the weight I wanted to without feeling too deprived.

Natural fat isn't bad.

Good luck everyone who does it.

ICJump Wed 25-May-16 10:16:08

I've embraced full fat after years and years if skim. Never going back!

NightWanderer Wed 25-May-16 18:04:57

I must admit I thought the same. I switched to full fat milk since having kids but I thought about it and I do think I eat too much fat from dairy. I love cream, butter, cheese, milk. So, I decided to give this one a whirl and see if it helps me shift a bit of weight.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Wed 25-May-16 23:40:26

NightWanderer, don't want to undermine the Changes theme but you can indulge your love of cream, butter, cheese, milk, if you eliminate carbs and drink loads of water (which you're doing anyway; see week 1 wink)

You will lose weight.

margaritasbythesea Thu 26-May-16 07:26:12

Thanks nightwanderer.

I'll not be doing this one as l am currently on the low carb boot camp. I didn't think I could eat too much cheese but now I'm 'allowed' to, it seems I'm not so fussed!

NightWanderer Thu 26-May-16 23:40:54

I can't do low carb as I'm vegetarian. I kind of believe in a balanced diet, a meal should be some protein, some carbs, a little fat and lots of veg. Sugar is my real enemy but too much saturated fat causes high cholesterol, heart disease and stroke. That huge block of cheese I ate from Costco the other day, I mean, it's fine to have a little cheese but too much of anything isn't good for you. I do understand this particular challenge isn't for everyone but I'm just going to try and give it a go.

ICJump Fri 27-May-16 00:10:01

I could do with eating less butter as I've been eating butter and peanut butter on white bread !

margaritasbythesea Fri 27-May-16 07:00:43

Mmm peanut butter on white bread with some nice cold butter too ...mmmmmm

I am currently extremely unconvinced about the low carving. I'm not losing weight and finding it hard . I'm not at all keen on eating so much meat. I was vegetarian for ten years and often think of returning. I'm just sticking it out for now so I have a decent impression of what it is like.

NightWanderer Fri 27-May-16 11:43:19

mmmm butter...

I've been drinking lots of water and picked up wholewheat bread and skimmed milk in my weekly shop. Not so good on the sleep and exercise front.

PurpleRibbons Fri 27-May-16 16:03:36

I'm a bit late to the party but I would find it very difficult to give up delicious Greek yoghurt and eat nasty low fat stuff! I do have skimmed milk in my tea though.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Fri 27-May-16 18:38:03

How long have you been low carbing margaritas?

I seem to remember it took 3-4 weeks before I saw any results before.

margaritasbythesea Fri 27-May-16 19:14:21

About 10 days. Was fully expecting to be slim by now grin

I do have a penchant for crash diets though so my expectations are not actually realistic for a sane person.

Velocity Sat 28-May-16 13:56:26

I haven't checked in for a while but I have just made a non toxic general household cleaning spray with vinegar, tea tree oil and bicarbonate of soda. Not sure about embracing organic but a new grocery has opened up with locally grown produce so I will check that out - also in an effort to eat more fruit and veg. I have a couple of kg's to lose so exercise, smaller food portions are back in the agenda. Water intake and sleep habit not bad but still too tired! Already on semi skimmed dairy and I'm a fan of butter!! Def need to work on living with purpose.

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Sun 29-May-16 00:38:37

You're doing really well Velocity, embracing the challenge grin

Making your own cleaning spray is v. impressive.

The trouble with all these things is no-one has invented a self activating one.

So, in your case, you have to squirt the stuff and follow with a wipe action.

I've had the most all-singing, all-dancing vacuum cleaners , but the buggers only sing and dance if you get them out the cupboard and push them around.

Am saving up for a robot.

margaritas, persevere, you need to achieve ketosis which I think is when your body starts consuming its own fat stores. Am a bit sketchy on this.
never gave up the rose wine but you can check.
Pee has little white dots in it, I think it's the fat being washed through by the copious water you're supposed to be drinking.

margaritasbythesea Sun 29-May-16 08:12:51

Oh my goodness ! Nobody told me that!

margaritasbythesea Sun 29-May-16 08:13:15

Little white dots I mean

NightWanderer Sun 29-May-16 11:24:57

I have posted the next challenge here

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Sun 29-May-16 18:09:25

margaritas do you read the MN low carb threads, they're very supportive and informative.
Lots of helpful stuff there and recipes etc.

margaritasbythesea Sun 29-May-16 23:00:25

Yes thanks I'm over there. I honestly wouldn't have stuck it out without it. I'm very jealous of so many over there losing so much weight but am still hoping my time will come.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now