Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My thumb suddenly hurt and then turned purple. Achenbach syndrome?

(8 Posts)
shattered77 Mon 06-Jul-15 21:31:40

Earlier I felt sudden pain in my thumb, like a wasp sting. I looked at my thumb and there was no puncture wound, but I could see deep purple bruising that then spread. It is also swollen.

Dr Google tells me it's Achenbach syndrome. Does anyone have any knowledge of this? Will this keep happening to me now? From reading it seems there's nothing to worry about, it's just really sore.

lougle Mon 06-Jul-15 21:44:18

What a great name for a syndrome. Not that it helps, sorry.

ExcuseMyEyebrows Mon 06-Jul-15 21:48:26

I get this in my fingers or even the palm of my hand sometimes if I've been carrying heavy bags. Sometimes it feels as if there's a small stone under the skin and if I press it the bruise appears.

It's quite painful but the bruise disappears quickly, within a day usually.

I also get it occasionally on my toes or the sole of my foot. It's a weird thing!

Candra Mon 06-Jul-15 22:12:50

My friends hands kept going numb. It turned out to be a tumour ( not cancerous) at the back of her neck. Took a while to get it diagnosed, seen to etc.

Permanentlyexhausted Mon 06-Jul-15 22:23:06

Wow! I get this in my fingers sometimes and I never knew it actually had a name. You learn something new every day!

I'm afraid I don't have any advice though. it's happened to me maybe 6 or 7 times over the last few years. The bruise / swelling / stiffness last a couple of days and then go.

Ilovelamp2014 Mon 06-Jul-15 22:39:14

I get this in my fingers sometimes
It's feels like a bee sting finger swells and turns purple didn't know what it was until now thanks op

ladybird69 Mon 06-Jul-15 23:47:36

I think it's a burst blood vessel that's what we call them in my family. I usually get them if I press or knock fingers hard. A bag of ice takes the sting away and they go in a few days.

shattered77 Tue 07-Jul-15 07:52:40

Thanks for the replies. It did freak me out a bit, I'd only opened some spaghetti hoops! Thought I had some kind of dvt, as it was all centred around the vein. What next???!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now