Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Recovering from a haemorrhoidectomy . . . warning: TMI alert . . .

(16 Posts)
Puffykins Mon 10-Nov-14 21:13:47

Has anybody ever had a heamorrhoidectomy, and if so, please can you tell me how long recovery took? I'm on day 12 now, and am still in considerable pain - I can't walk anywhere except the bathroom for the endless baths I take, can barely sit up unless I'm on my special donut cushion and even then only last up to 45 minutes. I have two young children, and I just feel that this is so unfair on them. And I'm getting kind of depressed about my lack of progress. I need someone to give me hope. Please?!
(P.S. If anyone is considering having one: strongly consider it. I've never experienced anything more painful than the first 4 days post op, EVER. I would gladly have given birth every day rather than going through the pain I was subject to.)

KareninsGirl Mon 10-Nov-14 23:24:29

You poor thingsad

I haven't had this surgery but do know it can be excruciating. have you been taking pain killers?

grimbletart Tue 11-Nov-14 16:03:34

Puffykins: I had that op many years ago. I didn't find it too bad so I must have been lucky (or it was not too bad in comparison with the thrombosed piles I had before!) but I know from others that it can be very painful. Hang in there though. It will be such a relief in the long term. Hope you feel better soon. If it goes on this badly much longer perhaps you should get it checked out? Maybe some problem with the stitches?.. Just surmising.

Molecule Tue 11-Nov-14 21:16:06

It was the most painful thing I've ever been through, every shit started the spasms again and I truly regretted having it done for weeks. I needed eight weeks off work, and could really have done with twelve. Wasn't helped by the fact the surgeon sewed me up so tightly that for ages (years, not months) my poos were the size of a yorkie's, anything bigger got stuck without lots of movicol.

But it does get better. I've had no pain from piles now for years, and I have stretched so can happily pass a decent sized motion. You will just have to grit your teeth for now and keep up with the movicol.

Puffykins Tue 11-Nov-14 23:24:05

Oh my goodness Molecule the bowel movements!!! Yes, spasms, followed by serious pain for about 8 hours. I'm trying to reduce what I eat to as little as possible (the only silver lining being that I've lost nearly a stone - but truly, I'd rather do pretty much any other diet plan) but equally I've got to eat for my body to recover.
I'm freelance, so don't have to go into an office thank goodness, but I've got DS who is 4 and DD who is 2 and I just don't know how I'm going to do the school run etc. I had a nanny last week and at the beginning of this week, but I can't afford it indefinitely (i.e., beyond this week, really.)
I managed to get DD to nursery today, but it took me 45 minutes to walk a distance that usually takes 10, and I was in tears when I got there, from the pain.
Kareninsgirl - yes to the painkillers: ibuprofen, paracetemol, codeine - that last I try not to take if I can possibly not as it causes constipation, which doesn't exactly help all this, but there are times when there's just no way I can get through without it.
I didn't sleep for the first two days I was in so much pain, and had to go back to hospital, which is when they gave me the codeine. I had been sent home with just ibuprofen, which did nothing to alleviate the feeling that somebody was rotating razors up my bottom.

PinkOboe Tue 11-Nov-14 23:45:25

You have my sympathy. I had one a few years ago. The memory of the agony is still fresh

I had 8 weeks off work although bafflingly it was done as day surgery and they gave me codeine for the pain confused like being constipated would help!

You're over the worst. Just keep focussing on that. Hope you feel better very soon thanks

Puffykins Wed 12-Nov-14 03:00:09

Molecule, PinkOboe; 8 weeks, 8 WEEKS?! Were you able/ would you have been able to do the school run etc. in this time? And at which point did the spasms after a bowel movement stop? There is no way I can afford to not work AND pay a nanny for 8 weeks. I just don't understand why the doctors didn't warn me about recovery time for this operation before I had it. I was told that I couldn't drive/ sign important documents for 24 hours afterwards, totally naively I thought I'd be pretty much better by then, though I factored in an extra couple of days (made DH take time of work) to be sure. I still can't pee normally, in a loo. I have to have a bath when I need to pee. Hence being up at 3 in the morning - that and it's my go-to pain relief when I'm waiting until I can take the next lot of meds.

Molecule Wed 12-Nov-14 07:49:45

I was told I'd be "uncomfortable" for a few days, and would need a couple of weeks off work. Cleverly I scheduled the op for just before the Easter holidays, thinking I'd be able to have a lovely time with the children, then back to work when they went back. I spent the whole time in agony, but am pretty sure I must have started to do the school run etc when they went back.

It does get better, just very slowly, as every poo has to smash its way through the operating site. Incidentally I'm not a skiver, in 20 years I'd never had more than a week off work, other than having babies, had four Caesarians etc etc. I used to dread pooing late evening as I'd know I wouldn't be able to sleep for the rest of the night - thank God for 24 hour TV.

You have my complete sympathy.

Groovee Wed 12-Nov-14 07:52:47

I was about 4 weeks when I had banding then skin tags removed. They gave me co-codamol in the hospital... Then told me to ensure I didn't get constipated. Nearly had to get an enema as I was passing out from the constipation.

I went back to work after 2 weeks and took a pillow with me. The class were looking at me as I carried my soft pillow everywhere.

Puffykins Wed 12-Nov-14 10:44:11

Thank you Molecule. I'm currently trying to find another nanny as the girl I got for last week and this week can't do next week, which is a shame as she's amazing.
Mainly, I'm terrified of needing to poo at, say, lunchtime, and then not being able to pick my son up from school because I'm in too much pain. I'm managing to do some work from bed - copywriting - but I've got to go out and do a proper interview next week (I'm a journalist) and I'm kind of terrified about that.
I'm glad that you're better now. I'm still in the place where I honestly don't know why I had this operation - my haemorrhoids were bad but not THAT bad - and this is hell. And I'm sort of furious with the doctors for not telling me that it would be like this. Of course, it is actually entirely my fault for not researching it first, but pain = irrational. Also, they brought me round after the operation SITTING UP!! And then forgot to give me anti sickness meds while they pumped me full of morphine, so I kept throwing up and ended up on a drip etc. And then I was sent home. And here I am. Two weeks later.

Whooshtheyweregone Wed 12-Nov-14 13:07:32

You poor thing. You have my utmost sympathy. It doesn't feel like it now but you WILL eventually feel better. I would highly recommend buying a sitz bath/portable bidet- Amazon sell them. It will stop you running endless baths. It just fits into your toilet bowl and will hopefully give you a lot of relief.

Molecule Wed 12-Nov-14 15:04:04

I have to say if I'd known just how painful the op was I don't know if I'd have had it done. The first surgeon I saw did say it was very painful, and I put it off for a few years as we were moving and renovating an old house. Once I decided my piles were too agonising I saw another surgeon who poo-pooed the agony and just said a bit uncomfortable for a few days.

It will get better, and the recovery time from each motion gets less, but don't forget to take your movicol for weeks and weeks. As Whoosh says eventually you will be pain free, and the idea of a portable bidet sounds good. If you can manage to get your movements on a regular time, it might be worth dosing up on ibuprofen/paracetamol an hour beforehand.

Puffykins Wed 12-Nov-14 15:22:10

Thank you Whoosh and Molecule again. I've got a portable bidet, and it doesn't actually help, tragically. I find sitting on it incredibly uncomfortable. However I've just had a bowel movement (told there was going to be tmi . . . ) and it's not actually as agonising as others have been. And oh yes, I ensure I'm fully dosed up beforehand. Through living mainly on soup I've got the bowel movements down to only every two days, but the anticipation of knowing I have to go is almost as bad as going. I've also decided that I don't care how much I spend on a nanny while in recovery - it's kind of essential. I have my rainy day savings, and right now, it's metaphorically pouring. Thank you for the morale boost though, God knows I need it. (My sister, who is a vet, has just informed me that a general anaesthetic is a depressant. And one of the side effects of my antibiotics was depression. Perfect, PERFECT, for someone who has just come off her anti-depressants about a month before the operation . . . . ).
I'm SO looking forward to being pain free. Thank you again.

Whooshtheyweregone Mon 17-Nov-14 11:45:53

How are you doing Puffy? I hope you are starting to feel a little better and can see a light at the end of the tunnel!

jplaskett Fri 24-Feb-17 21:45:33

I had my operation 2 weeks ago, omg I was warned it would be painful but did not really believe it would be to bad. big mistake , My first week was so so bad when I needed to have bowel movements. I had to bit on a towel to stop me crying out it pain. I was taking laxatives, along with fiber gel and sennakot and still the pain was so bad, I am on day 15 now, still very pain full when having bowel movement and still bleeding a lot, the pain does pass within about 3 hours but if you need to go to the toilet it all starts again. I have gone back to work now but find it so hard to sit at my desk all day, and still need to come home if I have to have a bowel movement as I have to shower, as still to sore and open to use toilet paper, hopefully will start to heal soon,

jplaskett Sun 12-Mar-17 20:29:36

Hi , I am now 4 weeks post opp, thing are very slowly getting better, still pain with BM and sometimes still bleeding, I went back to work after 1 week which was really painful and hard going, I have just returned for a weeks holiday in the sun, this was lovely but could not go swimming and wounds still not healed and are still very weepy, , I feel fine in my self, just living on senokot to help me .hopefuly should notice a big difference in the next week or so

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now