Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

PCOS and periods after having a baby

(6 Posts)
OneNiceGreenLeaf Thu 11-Oct-12 19:05:56

My DD is 10 months old and I've just come on my first period since falling pregnant. I'm still breastfeeding so was expecting it to take a while for it to arrive. I have PCOS and periods before having her were very light and irregular, a symptom of the fact I wasn't ovulating properly. (It took 10 cycles of clomid to conceive her).

I just wondered if other PCOS people found their periods were the same or different after having a baby? This period seems much of a normal heaviness so I'm really hoping my body might have magically sorted itself out!!

wishingonadream Thu 11-Oct-12 19:14:31

Mine were normal for probably about 18 months after dd was born, in that they were quite regular and had period symptoms. They then becaem irregular and I would not get period symptoms each time. My dd is now 4 and a half and I am 7 months pregnant with ds but needed 4 rounds of clomid. Think we left it too long to start ttc.

CrikeyOHare Thu 11-Oct-12 22:38:07

I have polycystic ovaries - no symptoms, though, and I only know I do because they were seen by a surgeon during an op years ago.

Anyway - my periods were very, very irregular from when they started right up until after I had DS, 16 years ago. Since then they have been every 28 days on the button. No idea why - but in my case, pregnancy seemed to kick start something hormonally, and maybe that will happen for you.

My periods came back when dd1 was 6 months and were regular until we conceived dd2 9 months later. Dd2 is now 2.7 and my periods were on a regular 32 day cycle until this month...now on day 41and no sign of a period sad

I think its pretty common to be regular fora year or two following childbirth before the pcos rears its ugly head again.

AttilaTheMeerkat Fri 12-Oct-12 17:17:08

PCOS is not something that goes away of its own accord; the cystic follicles on the ovaries always return. It can be managed but there is no one therapy or treatment that will make it go away completely.

OneNiceGreenLeaf Fri 12-Oct-12 19:43:10

Thanks very much for giving your personal experiences, it's really useful to hear. It makes me think we should perhaps think about TTC again a little sooner than I'd thought.

Attila, I am aware that PCOS is a life-long condition and was joking when I referred to being "magically sorted out".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now