Talk

Advanced search

what's wrong with me? sleeping 18 hours a day!

(27 Posts)
zombietron5 Mon 06-Aug-12 23:08:51

I am exhausted! I have been feeling overly tired for a few months now but put it down to poor diet and being out of work.

This past week or two I have been sleeping almost all day, only waking up to eat, I am also absolutely ravenous.

Typical day, I go to sleep about 11pm, wake up about 5am, eat a massive meal (huge plate of pasta or pizza, juice, fruit, popcorn/sweets - rubbish I know but I'm starving and crave carbs and sugar.) Go back to sleep about 7am and sleep right through to about 7pm, eat another binge and then go to bed about 11pm.

Duing my waking hours I am sluggish, yawning, can barely keep my eyes open. I tried staying awake this morning and went to the shops at 7am, got home at 9am and crashed out (have only just woken up now).

I could easily sleep non stop, when I wake up I have to drag myself out of bed.

I haven't lost or gained any weight during this routine.

WHY am I so exhausted? I have a GP appt in 2 weeks but would like some idea of what's wrong with me sad

OP’s posts: |
LadySybildeChocolate Mon 06-Aug-12 23:10:28

It is possible to sleep too much. The more you sleep, the more exhausted you are. Do you have something that you can do other then sleeping?

cybbo Mon 06-Aug-12 23:11:31

2 weeks until your appointment?

You are also eating food that will make your blood sugar levels rise dramatically then crash leaving you lethargic and craving more.

But sleeping that much? I would demand a sooner appointment

CrispyHedgehog Mon 06-Aug-12 23:11:55

I'm having the same issue and for me it's due to very low iron, I'm due to have infusions soon and I'm really hoping it will work like a rocket up the arse, lol

While you're waiting for your gp appt, eat lots of dark green veg, red meat, liver if you can stand it.

Also, don't have milk or calcium at the same time as you have iron rich foods because they affect each other's absorption

cybbo Mon 06-Aug-12 23:12:19

Eat some protein in your meals rather than carbs

cocolepew Mon 06-Aug-12 23:13:18

Insulin resistant, diabetes or thyroid. Bills in the post.

zombietron5 Mon 06-Aug-12 23:16:09

I have SO much that I need to be doing, but I can't physically keep myself awake for very long.

It was hard enough getting the appointment I have, it's not an emergency is it?

Could well be iron, I was given some kind of iron syrup stuff as a teen but I take a multivitamin & iron now so I don't know.

It's mostly worrying me that it's suddenly got this bad

zombietron5 Mon 06-Aug-12 23:18:05

oh fuck... sad thanks cocolepew, but I hope you're wrong.

LadySybildeChocolate Mon 06-Aug-12 23:19:07

Or Glandular Fever? They only have a short time to detect this so you need to go sooner rather then later.

cocolepew Mon 06-Aug-12 23:19:29

Stop with the sugar and carby stuff, seriously I have insulin resistant due to PCOS and when Im bad I could literally sleep around the clock . A brass band could walk pass me and I wouldn't hear it.

cocolepew Mon 06-Aug-12 23:20:36

Sorry!

sleepdodger Mon 06-Aug-12 23:21:58

Any chance you could be pregnant? It was similar symptoms which lead me to poas?

zombietron5 Mon 06-Aug-12 23:23:18

I will try and get an earlier appointment then, but I can't see it being easy! I had to beg for the one I have.

What's the difference between insulin resistance and diabetes? <stupid>

zombietron5 Mon 06-Aug-12 23:26:34

No chance of being pregnant, too tired for any baby making.

So what should I be eating? About to make my daily pasta mountain but maybe not... I have eggs? Are they protein?

cybbo Mon 06-Aug-12 23:27:51

Yes make cheese Omlette or scrambled egg on whole meal toast

Are you sure you're hungry?

3duracellbunnies Mon 06-Aug-12 23:31:59

Go sooner if you can and yes it could be very serious, but probably something easily fixable. I have low thyroid, I have to take a tablet once a day and I get free prescriptions, but otherwise fine. Hopefully something like that. With that sleeping pattern you won't be wasting their time. Or find a walk in clinic. Could also be depression.

cocolepew Tue 07-Aug-12 00:13:12

Insulin resistant is sort if pre diabetes, if left unchecked you could develop type 1. Your body is producing insulin but not able to use it properly for energy. You keep producing more for it to be used, which it isn't, and end up with an excess of glucose in your body.

You need to follow a G.I diet.

Clarella Wed 08-Aug-12 20:46:03

Are you, ahem, constipated?

My first symptoms for under active thyroid were constant sleeping at age 20. I actually lost weight as lost interest in everything. I would crave sugar too though which i actully dont crave as much when well. My barometer for how I'm doing is also constipation, which can be chronic! Won't hurt to get a test and very easily sorted.

Ditto gi diet anyway, supports thyroid too. loads of veg, grains, nuts and fruit, plus 2 - 3 servings of dairy a day for iodine to support thyroid hormone - it uses it to make another hormone which powers the metabolism ( but never take supplements of it, v bad to have too much as actually can damage it too). Oily fish also has some iodine plus lots of good brain stuff too ( mackerel is best, tinned is nice n cheap and tasty in tomato sauce! Couple of sevings a week). Your insulin will be all over the place with that diet. Try and drink water only too (or a little tea) - fruit juice has tonnes of sugar in it. Better to eat an orange and get some fibre too. Eggs are very good for you too, lots of protein and vitamins. In fact, scrambled eggs, baked beans and whole meal toast is, despite lack of veg, a really good meal!

Hope you feel better soon

Clarella Wed 08-Aug-12 20:47:32

P.s low fat natural yoghurt is best dairy, or just milk. No extra sugar.

Toughasoldboots Wed 08-Aug-12 20:48:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Chocoholiday Wed 08-Aug-12 20:49:37

The one time that ever happened to me I turned out to be deeply depressed. Had no idea at the time - I thought I was ill, but a clever GP spotted it and that discovery changed my life.

DoingItForMyself Wed 08-Aug-12 20:52:24

Low B12 and low thyroid here, make sure they check both + iron

lighthousekeeping Wed 08-Aug-12 20:55:53

Are you sure that you can't ring or turn up at the surgery at a certain time? We can at hours.

It could be a number of things. You need some blood work doing and all your gp will do us fill in the forms for it.

Those carbs are addictive and make me want to sleep. Can you do a shop and get loads of fruit it and stuff you have to cook? I'd also get some good iron tablets.

Good luck with that appointment.

lighthousekeeping Wed 08-Aug-12 20:56:30

Sorry for the spellcheck

showtunesgirl Wed 08-Aug-12 21:05:08

Thyroid springs to my mind too. My friend had a thyroid problem and did the same thing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »