Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Has anyone sucessfully withdrawn from mirtazapine ?

(6 Posts)
hardshipuntold Mon 18-Jul-11 19:04:33

ive been on this for 4 years after having a post natal depression and massive financial troubles
im doing well life is good ,kids are all at school so have been very slowly withdrawing from this drug
started on 45mg got down to 30mg then 15mg ,in the last 6 weeks been taking 7.5mg and now ive been 2 weeks without anything ,having withdrawals and wondered how long they take to go away
tia

midnightisaplace Mon 18-Jul-11 20:23:32

Hi! I have now been off Mirtazapine for four months and cross fingers everything is going well. I had been taking it for a year and a half following post natal depression and I thought I would never manage to get off it. My main problem was sleep. I slept perfectly on Mirtazapine but two weeks after I stopped taking it my ability to sleep would disappear completly. I don't do well without any sleep and therefore I would give up after a few days and go back on the tablets.
What worked for me (the third and hopefully the final time I tried to come off them) was to take half a tablet every two days for a month and then half a tablet every three days for a month and then to stop taking them completly.
My only remaining problem is that I can't bring myself to throw away the tablets I have left. They are a bit of a security blanket. I know I probably shouldn't be using them as sleeping tablets but I was on holiday last week and had problems sleeping so I took half a tablet. Had a great nights sleep but wasn't the nicest person to live with the next day!
Good luck! It's hard but doable (sp?).

hardshipuntold Mon 18-Jul-11 21:17:35

i havnet been sleeping well either ,i can go off ok but waking at 2-3 am and cant get back to sleep
having anxiety symptoms too ,how many weeks did the sleep problem take to sort out?
mirtazapine is great for sleeping !!

midnightisaplace Tue 19-Jul-11 07:48:28

Sorry to hear it is being so awful for you!

The time I actually managed to get off Mirtazapine I didn't have any major sleep problems. I think it was because of the way I withdrew so gradually.
I never had any sleep problems before PND but even now I have the odd night where I can't sleep at all. The only difference is it doesn't panic me in the same way and because of that I can usually sleep ok the next night.

hardshipuntold Tue 19-Jul-11 10:21:40

i slept ebtter last night only woke once at 1am but got back to sleep ok got up at 6am
just feeling really anxious ,i hate it sad

hardshipuntold Tue 19-Jul-11 10:30:48

i foundthis website so helpful - everything this person describes is whats happening to me
i will copy & paste it below

The withdrawal from mirtazipine depends on how long you have been taking it. Someone who has been on it for 12 months or over is going to have much more severe withdrawal symptoms than someone who has been taking them for a few weeks or months. It also depends on what type of person you are. If you are able to bear intense suffering for a month- then a cold turkey method will suit you (but you run the risk of developing serotonin syndrome where you need to be admitted to hospital because your body has gone into shock and you could die). I have chosen a slow tapering method using a solution form of mirtazapine. I went from 30mg to 15mg to 15/7.5mg using the tablet form then from 7.5mg to 6mg using the solution and a syringe. I dont advocate dropping your dosage more than 2mg once you get past the 10mg dosage. The lower the dose gets the more sensitive you are to the drop. And all this rubbish about the drug having a short half life so all the withdrawal symptoms are really your own illness is RUBBISH. Thats what psychiatrists want you to believe because they dont understand the drugs they prescribe. If you drop your dose slowly it takes 2-3 weeks for the withdrawal symptoms to gain their full whack. My own withdrawal is at its worse at 3-4 weeks but this of course depends on the person. It has little to do with the half life because you are topping up your levels every night when you take your meds. I found that after 4 weeks everything just got better and better. Its called a slow withdrawal for a reason, the symptoms take longer to materialize and last longer but they are not as severe. If you can cope with the cold turkey without killing yourself i take my hat off to you! Another thing: why start taking a dangerous drug like valium to combat the withdrawal from mirtazipine? Its like out of the frying pan and into the fire. You then have to do the whole shibang again cutting up pills like a junkie. However, coming from a person who has withdrawed from mirtazipine AND valium, mirtazipine is indescribably worse. So think about that when you want to go necking more pills and prolong your pain. Some helpful tips for withdrawers- Ranitidine is great for nausea. Peppermint oil (called Colpermin in the UK) helps constipation or general digestive discomfort. Piriton or drowsy anti-histamines calms itchy skin and relieves insomnia. As for the anxiety and depression and paranoia, youre on your own but im guessing from reading most of these forums on the subjects we are all fairly used to those.

Hope that helps some worried soul out there who is sick of reading the same confusing and incorrect rubbish from people who dont know what they are on about.

If you do try cold turkey (like i did a bit ago) and you go seriously mental (like i did a bit ago) dont let the GPs whack you back up to 15mg. All you have to do is go back to the dose you were one before you went cold turkey and wait a week or two and then drop it down less dramatically. Remember: YOU know what your body can take and the doctors have no idea so do it your way. These rubbish antidepressants affect everyone differently so do it intuitively.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: