Talk

Advanced search

A healthy takeaway? Does it exist? URGENT! :)

(15 Posts)
SleepyJess Sat 06-Aug-05 17:56:49

Well sort of urgent.. in a relative kind of way..

Have fed the kids.. but DH and I fancy a takeaway and we are really trying to be healthier..

Does anyone have any suggestions for a takeaway that is not too fat/calorie/Bad-Ingedient laden? Or am I in cloud cuckoo land..? only we are hungry!! And it's too late to cook a proper meal how.. we have been doing the garden all afternoon (well I have been popping onto MN.. as you do.. before anyone points that out to me.. )

Please help!

SJ x

Twiglett Sat 06-Aug-05 17:57:37

chinese .. boiled rice and chicken with seasonal veg

indian .. boiled rice and tikka chicken (no sauce)

pizza... nah, only joking

cod Sat 06-Aug-05 17:58:05

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Sat 06-Aug-05 17:58:11

Vegetarian pizza. Most Middle Eastern foods like falafel, humus, baba ganoush. Jacket potato w/tuna and sweetcorn or chili con carne or cheese.

alexsmum Sat 06-Aug-05 17:59:50

if you get a chinese and have a vegetable based dish and choose boiled rice rather than fried.that's not so bad.

tandoori chicken is ok cos its oven baked rather than fried- and no rich sauce.
steer clear of pizza's obviously- and as far as indian meals are concerned anything with a rich sauce- choose a tomato based one instead.

our local curry house does lowfat versions if you ask.

jane313 Sat 06-Aug-05 18:00:31

If you had a nice kebab, ie they grill the chicken in front of you and its not covered in oil. Loads of salad and pitta bread.

alexsmum Sat 06-Aug-05 18:02:07

is there such a thing a nice kebab from a takeaway? are they not salmonella on a bun?
thought people only ate them when drunk!

SleepyJess Sat 06-Aug-05 18:08:22

Hmmm.. thank you I think maybe Indian then..

I am hungrier still now..

SJ x

jane313 Sat 06-Aug-05 18:11:57

Ive never been ill with them, I mean like the sort you would get in turkish or middle eatern restaurants. I don't think all the population of those countries are drunk all the time, especially given their religion.

NannyL Sat 06-Aug-05 22:05:59

Go to the salad / olive bar at your local waitrose and get some nice ham / meat / cheese from the deli!

thats an alomost take away!

Nbg Sat 06-Aug-05 22:08:30

If I remember correctly going by the weight watchers book Boiled rice and chicken with pineapple or mushroom has the lowest points but it was still pretty high.

Enjoy your take out anyway, you lucky thing

jasper Sat 06-Aug-05 22:16:56

grilled chicken kebab

alexsmum Sat 06-Aug-05 23:32:08

i was thinking of a donner, turning away in the takeaway window, with the flies landing on it everynow and then!

Satine Sun 07-Aug-05 00:06:25

I have read that indian takeaways can be the worst for you, as they are often made with a lot of ghee (clarified butter). Funnily enough, fish and chips was the least unhealthy take-away!

SleepyJess Sun 07-Aug-05 21:10:06

Oh dear.. ah well!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: