Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

if you had a packet of Angel Delight with Sept 2009 on the back

(17 Posts)
cutekids Tue 10-Nov-09 12:57:47

would you use it today????

Just found a Birds Rum Sauce from last year with June 2009 on too....can never find it at Christmas and Mum insists on it for her Christmas pudding....would you???

lucysmum Tue 10-Nov-09 13:01:00

yes. full of sugar and other preservatives anyway I expect. Might not taste as good but unlikely to actually hurt you.

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Tue 10-Nov-09 13:01:45

I would have to eat it right now. Before someone noticed I had any angel delight!

Geocentric Tue 10-Nov-09 13:04:17

Hmmm, I don't know. I found a packet of powdered soup the other day, it was 2 months past date, figured "wtf, full of artificial stuff anyway" and used it. Next day DH and I were both a bit ill (just mildly ill, though).

Niecie Tue 10-Nov-09 13:05:44

Probably won't taste as nice.

I once had an out of date Cuppa Soup - I came to no harm but it taste stale and dusty.

FritesMenthe Tue 10-Nov-09 13:07:27

Of course it's fine.

Is it use before or best by? There is a difference.

nickelbabe Tue 10-Nov-09 13:08:19

with something like angel delight, it won't set as hard after that date.
it's still perfectly edible.

and if it doesn't set, stick it in the freezer for half an hour.

grin

DiamondHead Tue 10-Nov-09 13:09:24

Is it a 'best before' date or a 'use by' date.

Best before dates only relate to quality - see here
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8326756.stm

Personally, I'd eat it.

nickelbabe Tue 10-Nov-09 13:13:06

i think dry goods only have best before.

it's fresh produce that has to have a use by

cutekids Tue 10-Nov-09 14:02:48

best before...i wouldn't entertain a "use by"!!!!smile

AMumInScotland Tue 10-Nov-09 14:05:51

I suspect Angel Delight is the kind of thing which has a "half-life" rather than a "best before date". Go ahead and eat it - I'm sure it will be fine exactly the same as it would have been 2 months ago.

cutekids Tue 10-Nov-09 15:08:45

only had to consider this cos my Asda delivery turned up today with 2 milks.....with today's date on!!!

rang them up and they've refunded me the money but now i'm stuck with milk that'll have to be used today and no milk for tomorrow.......angry

actually,anyone know what i can do with milk apart from make angel delight???

AMumInScotland Tue 10-Nov-09 15:25:58

Rice pudding?

GrimmaTheNome Tue 10-Nov-09 15:29:54

egg custard. Cheese sauce.

Hot chocolate all round

If you have all of those in the same evening you'll be sick! Baked egg custard keeps a day or two though.

FritesMenthe Tue 10-Nov-09 15:55:32

Isn't there a couple of days between the SELL BY and the USE BY date on the milk? Or is the USE BY date today's date? If so, that's very shabby of Asda.

interesting news item

BertieBotts Tue 10-Nov-09 16:47:08

Milk's usually ok for a few days after use by if it's kept in the fridge and not left out. I would freeze one, use the other and defrost the frozen one when the other runs out (use it as quickly as possible)

I would use it to make porridge or hot chocolate or a nice milky coffee.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now