Talk

Advanced search

So if it doesn't turn into raspberry jam, what can I do with raspberry liquid?

(9 Posts)
brokenspacebar Fri 18-Sep-09 14:17:50

I just tried to make jam, but I think it is too runny to set, I followed the recipe. (first timer)

So can I do something else with it? The sauce is very sweet.

meltedmarsbars Fri 18-Sep-09 14:19:40

Jam only sets once it reaches setting point, a balance of pectin, sugar and liquid.
you can try adding some lemon juice (one lemon?) and re-boiling?

CMOTdibbler Fri 18-Sep-09 14:20:25

Blast it in small batches in the microwave and it will set eventually.

My mum is pants at making jam, but insists on doing it every year and we always ended up doing this.

Or you can keep it in jars and eat it as a dessert with custard or icecream

colditz Fri 18-Sep-09 14:22:00

Have you done the saucer test?

Put a drop on a saucer and let it cool. 'push' at it with your finger -= idf it wrinkles it will set.

If it doesn't, put some lemon juice in it and boil the fuck out of for another 10 minutes.

MrsBadger Fri 18-Sep-09 14:40:41

or give up

strain the raspberries out and eat them on icecream

then bottle the syrup to use as cordial - dilute with plain water or fizzy water, or use for flavouring milkshake/smoothies, or dilute and use to make ice lollies. It'll freeze well too.

brokenspacebar Fri 18-Sep-09 19:45:25

I didn't do the saucer test (I am sure my Mum would have recommended that colditz, but she is in Italy), it is fridge jam now, dh and ds like it, and there isn't loads of it, but I like your ideas... mmm raspberry ripple ice cream

I did sieve out some of the seeds, it isn't really runny, but it isn't like normal raspberry jam - I followed this recipe.

I usually leave jam making to my Mum and the dc's head teacher, he made plum jam with my plums this year grin

MrsBadger Fri 18-Sep-09 20:12:15

look at the pic, hers is 'soft set' too

these days I only make jam with plums / damsons / greengaes as they have so much pectin in they set really easily

GrapefruitMoon Fri 18-Sep-09 20:14:54

Call it raspberry coulis and use it to accompany cheesecakes, etc or drizzle artistically over plates in a poncy way!

millenniumfoxtrot Fri 18-Sep-09 20:17:27

freeze in smallish batches and use in crumbles/fruit puddings - the best crumbles i've made recently have had a good glug of this unpromising looking homemade blackberry juice my greek cousin gave me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now