Talk

Advanced search

Monkfish

(8 Posts)

I had monkfish for the first time the other day in a restaurant and loved it. So I had a look at the fish counter in Morrisons today and they were selling Monkfish tails. So I asked the man if he could fillet it for em and he did - it was £4.50!!!! That's going to be one expensive salad. Is it normally that much? I don't usually buy fish but that's the price of a good steak and I thought it would be cheaper.

StirlingTheTired Thu 30-Jul-09 18:15:26

Yes it is expensive - and to think the fishermen used to always throw them back in because no-one wanted them (too ugly apparently). It is very meaty though and you can cut into chunks and put onto skewers for grilling or BBQ smile

DeathbyDora Thu 30-Jul-09 18:19:09

It is very expensive!! But if you do like it I found the most amazing recipe if you are interested!

Please, I've been trawling the internet for recipes.

meltedmarsbars Thu 30-Jul-09 21:34:13

We have monkfish kebabs: marinade monkfish chunks and veg chunks (onion, courgette, mushroom etc ) in a mixture of olive oil and lemon and seasonings incl marjoram/oregano for 30 mins, then skewer alternately, winding streaky bacon through it as well. Grill till done - delicious.

DeathbyDora Thu 30-Jul-09 22:36:10

I have one that sounds a bit weird but was delicious. Chop your monkfish into chunks and marinade for about an hour in 2 tablespoons of tandoori paste mixed with 1 tablespoon of natural yogurt.

Make a salsa by chopping and mixing together the following: a handful of sundried tomatoes, 3 fresh tomatoes, 3 or 4 preserved lemons (they come in a jar, the brand is Belazu - Sainsburys usually have them) and a handful of fresh coriander.

Serve with pilau rice.

Like I said, sounds a bit weird but my DH LOVED it and it's pretty healthy as well!

ilovemydogandmrobama Thu 30-Jul-09 22:43:25

monkfish stew

monkfish fillets (about 2/3)
2 onions
1 eggplant
garlic
harrissa paste
tinned tomatoes (2)
lemons (2)
parsley
mint
plain yoghurt

fry onions and eggplant in garlic. stir in harissa paste, about a tablespoon or so. Add tinned tomatoes. Cut lemons in half and add. bring to boil and then let simmer. Add monkfish cut into chunks. Put lid on and cook for about 10 - 15 minutes. At the last minute, stir in parsley and mint (a good handful each) and plain yoghurt.

Serve with couscous

evieb300 Thu 30-Jul-09 22:45:38

Monkfish is expensive but yummy. I stir-fry for c. 10 minutes with a little olive oil in a wok, and put with rice and a tomato-based sauce on top.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now