Talk

Advanced search

Quick! How do I soften butter to bake with it without melting it?

(9 Posts)
mrsbabookaloo Mon 15-Jun-09 20:31:20

Need to make cupcakes for dd to take to nursery for her bday tomorrow, and butter has just come out of fridge. I don't have a microwave.

...I also don't have enough eggs or any icing sugar, but think I can borrow those!

PS Can I have kudos for baking despite the fact that I dc2 is due in three days, we were up with dd from 4am-7am this am, I've had to take her to the doctor with a suspicious rash today and also all the drains were backed up and I paid an eye watering amount for a plumber to make a mess and render me unable to do any of the maternity leave stuff that I was supposed to be doing today....

mollyroger Mon 15-Jun-09 20:32:59

grate it with a cheese grater - trust me it works

duckyfuzz Mon 15-Jun-09 20:33:44

pop it in the oven as its heating for the cakes (or grill above oven aas oven heats, iyswim)

morningpaper Mon 15-Jun-09 20:33:59

grate

Bakersman Mon 15-Jun-09 20:34:08

Yes I was about to post the same, grate it. Works a treat

mollyroger Mon 15-Jun-09 20:36:41

do you know, that was tip I nicked off mumsnet - from one of those ''really crap tips you see in crappy magazines and people actually get paid for'' threads grin

It was WELL hidden among the ''make a stylish rain hood from old carriers and fag packets'' tips though....

mrsbabookaloo Mon 15-Jun-09 20:37:08

Thanks, can always rely on mumsnet for a quick reply (but no sympathy for my blatant whingeing). grating sounds like hard work, but I'll try!

southeastastra Mon 15-Jun-09 20:38:12

i peel it with a potato peeler

StirlingTheStrong Mon 15-Jun-09 21:06:08

I chop into small pieces and leave on a plate for a short while and it softens quickly.

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now