Talk

Advanced search

My homemade pizza was a disaster :(

(17 Posts)
SleepFreeZone Tue 27-Feb-18 11:49:36

I made the dough in the bread maker and followed the instruction to let it prove for 20 mins at 40 degrees. Well it didn’t really do anything much, so put all the toppings on and put it into the oven. Here it puffed up like an enormous beast and came out a total monstrosity. My 5 year old was horrified lol.

So I need a recipe for thin crust pizza. Ideally in a bread maker for ease but if need be I can do it by hand.

Thank you! 💐

OP’s posts: |
UnimaginativeUsername Tue 27-Feb-18 11:51:27

How thinly did you roll it out?

It will usually expand in the oven, so you need to make sure it starts out very thin.

SleepFreeZone Tue 27-Feb-18 11:52:12

I sort of pressed it down with my hand. I didn’t flour it or anything and didn’t roll it 😬

Goldmonday Tue 27-Feb-18 11:53:27

What type of flour were you using? It may have been too strong.

Do you have any pictures???? I am intrigued to see what it looked like!!!

SleepFreeZone Tue 27-Feb-18 11:56:21

I should have taken photos!!! I took some before it went into the oven but I think I was too scared when it came out. The crust must have been at least three inches thick!’

Clarabumps Tue 27-Feb-18 12:07:36

I've did the same before. You can use the bread machine recipe for dough but it's the way you treat it once it's proved. I use strong white bread flour from ALDI.
This is what I do..
Take a handful of flour and heavily flour the worktop.
Tip dough out onto counter
I divide dough into three equal pieces. This makes 3 X 12 inch pizzas
Then, I flour my hands, take one piece and a rolling pin and roll out the dough.
Turn the dough each time you roll until it's around 12 inches wide or about 1/2 cm thick.
You can use dried semolina mixed with the flour to give a nice texture to the dough but flour will do just the same. The dough should not be sticky, if it is, add more flour.
I can't emphasise enough that you really need a lot of flour to roll it out. Just keep adding it, bit by bit, until your pizza base is nice and flat and thin.
I then transfer it to a baking tray or pizza tray and add my toppings or fold over if I'm making a calzone.
Go easy on the tomato base as if you add too much then it'll end up soggy.

Ishouldhaveknown Tue 27-Feb-18 12:08:56

Equal parts greek yogurt and flour. Mix. Roll. Bake. Eat. (Google for more details)

Easy and good! (It's a wet dough, put plenty of flour down to roll on)

Clarabumps Tue 27-Feb-18 12:09:03

I'd also just make the dough in the bread maker and then use it, I don't normally do a second prove. I just go straight ahead and make the pizza.

Fondantfancypant Tue 27-Feb-18 12:10:07

www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/291609/pizza

We make this every weekend it's amazing. The secret is the flour which you can get in any big supermarket.

UnimaginativeUsername Tue 27-Feb-18 12:11:19

It really does sound like you just didn’t roll (or stretch) it out thin enough. If it started off quite thick, then the end result will be huge.

Todayissunny Tue 27-Feb-18 12:12:19

I let mine rise for at least an hour at room temperature. Roll it very thin

SheGotBetteDavisEyes Tue 27-Feb-18 12:15:03

I mix in food processor, let dough rise twice, roll really thin, not too much toppings and cook on the highest possible oven setting on a pre-heated pizza stone.

A pizza peel helps if you're doing it like that though.

Luckingfovely Tue 27-Feb-18 12:19:06

Just use tortillas or flatbreads, much easier grin

SleepFreeZone Tue 27-Feb-18 12:46:40

Right. That really helps. My DP said the same, which was I didn’t have it thin enough to start with (note he didn’t try to do it himself, only critique afterwards 🙄)

It also didn’t really prove properly as I’m tbinkinv I didn’t have it warm enough. So I can change that too.

halfwitpicker Tue 27-Feb-18 12:48:30

The crust was 3 inches thick?!

It needs to be really thin - about the thickness of a pound coin. Then bake it on the lowest shelf in a very hot oven.

TheCrowFromBelow Tue 27-Feb-18 13:45:02

I use the pizza dough setting on the bread maker which is 45 mins and roll the dough out into 4 pizzas, top and bake. No need to prove a second time. I roll mine out onto reusable baking parchment and wiggle them off half way through baking, as I can never get it onto the baking tray otherwise.

Kikisdeliveries Tue 27-Feb-18 14:16:19

Now the point of homemade pizzas in my house is that everyone makes their own. I do the dough in the bread maker (45 mins) and leave it in there till we're ready to make them. I cut the dough into 4 and everyone kneads their bit (for fun really, it isn't necessary) rolls out their own with plenty of flour and adds toppings. They definitely need rolling out or stretching very thinly.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »