Talk

Advanced search

The ultimate chocolate cake recipe....will think of you everytime I gobble a slice

(16 Posts)
lovinbeingmum Tue 28-Feb-17 13:42:21

I feel like giving up and never baking a chocolate cake again. They are always dry unless there is a big layer of cream on top.

So, would anyone be able to share a recipe of those moist gooey chocolate cakes which don't really need icing and are so delicious.....

big thanks!!

FilthMonster Tue 28-Feb-17 13:57:28

I love nigellas chocolate Guinness cake, so moist and tasty. I always add about twice as much Guinness as she says in her recipe and I don't always ice it

SandrasAnnoyingFriend Tue 28-Feb-17 13:58:22

Easy! Everyone loves this one

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3092/ultimate-chocolate-cake

But don't faff about trying to cut it into 3, just bake in 2 tins and sandwich together with whipped cream, top with ganache.

BeMorePanda Tue 28-Feb-17 13:59:19

Hairy Bikers one is nice & moist

Are you sure you aren't overcooking them?

beela Tue 28-Feb-17 14:00:43

The nigella recipe with sour cream in it is amazing. Dh doesn't like chocolate cake shock so I rarely make it but that is my go-to recipe.

Okite Tue 28-Feb-17 14:02:47

BBC one already linked to. But I make it with 50/50 dark and milk chocolate and all SR flour. It's amazing.

lovinbeingmum Tue 28-Feb-17 19:06:15

Thank you!! The next fortnight is going to be a lot of chocolate till I find my favourite 😀

ActuallyThatsSUPREMECommander Tue 28-Feb-17 19:12:04

Nigella's "store cupboard chocolate orange" one that you assemble in a saucepan and throw in most of a jar of marmalade or whatever jam you fancy is amazing because it's so easy to cook - no beating just stir everything in.
This version costs it at 1 pound 44 which is a bit optimistic but it is true that it can be a very cheap cake if you shop at Lidl - I always grab some of their chocolate and a jar of cheap jam every time I'm there so I've always got the makings of a cake.

HellsBellsAndBucketsOfBlood Tue 28-Feb-17 19:25:51

This one
We make it at work too, it's really popular.

lovinbeingmum Wed 01-Mar-17 10:11:39

hellsbells that looks gorgeous...the picture has me drooling! grin cake

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Wed 01-Mar-17 10:45:51

Mayonnaise Cake....you are five minutes away from having cake in the oven with this recipe

Get a large bowl, and a 8 inch lined deep round tin, set oven to hot ...175 ish

put in
9.5 oz plain flour (although SR makes no difference)
8oz caster sugar (soft brown or granulated also fine)
1tsp baking powder
4 tbs cocoa
MIX WELL
dollop in
7oz Mayo
8fl oz hot water (black coffee is also amazing)
1tsp vanilla

Mix to a thick, but pourable batter

Into the tin and into the oven for 35 mins, and leave to cool in the tin, top will likely be cracked but it makes no matter.

When cool cover with ganache made from
6oz good choc
9fl oz cream

This cake keeps very well and gets fudgier and moister over night, if you want to make more ganache you can split the cake and fill it too, but that makes it into a sin really.

lovinbeingmum Wed 01-Mar-17 21:15:08

della mayo in cake! A must try just to taste it.

cakengifts Fri 19-May-17 11:31:13

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

UnaOfStormhold Fri 19-May-17 12:02:10

recipe-finder.com/recipe/17851575481466662701 is delicious - I think the secret is using melted chocolate rather than cocoa.

lolalotta Sat 20-May-17 06:31:58

Why do all the lush looking choc cakes have so much sugar in them? That Hairy bikers one has 14oz?!?!
shock

AirBiscuitEater Sat 20-May-17 06:37:53

Little tip for keeping cakes moist..... few table spoons of olive oil (sometimes coconut oil works depending on flavour of cake) and a few spoonfuls of golden syrup. Added to the precooked batter, obviously. Really helps lock in the moisture smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now