Talk

Advanced search

Good flapjack recipe?

(19 Posts)
misssmilla1 Fri 19-Jun-15 13:50:03

The last time I tried to make them, they turned out rock hard and were a bit burnt and got thrown out

I'm usually pretty ok with cooking and baking so can't work out what I did wrong, so am looking for failsafe recipes if anyone has one?

SwearyGodmother Fri 19-Jun-15 13:58:54

This one's from my mother and is fairly failsafe:

225g oats
150 g sr flour
150g butter
100g sugar
150g syrup
1/2tsp baking powder

mix dry ingredients. Melt butter/syrup - don't boil!
add wet to dry and combine well.
press into baking tray / make round biscuit shapes
bake 180 for abt 12 mins

The really important thing is not to boil the syrup - if you do that they go rock hard. And, like brownies, they'll normally be a little wobbly in the middle when you take them out but will firm up as they cool.

CMOTDibbler Fri 19-Jun-15 14:01:08

Search on her for soupdragons flapjack recipe - it has condensed milk in it, and are gorgeous, moist flapjacks.

I made them for an event, and the WI ladies were clamouring for the recipe!

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Fri 19-Jun-15 14:02:37

Always remember that the syrup etc hardens as it cools. They need to seem underdone when you take them out.smile

misssmilla1 Fri 19-Jun-15 15:02:52

Ah, I didn't know that about the syrup, I think that was the cause of it as it started to boil!

MrsMoggy Fri 19-Jun-15 16:19:29

I do 125g butter or margarine melted in pan with 125g granulated sugar and 3 tablespoons of golden syrup. Once all melted tip in 250g porridge oats and bake at 140c for 20 minutes, should still be soft when comes out as will harden up when cooling

Lunaballoon Fri 19-Jun-15 17:29:42

This JO recipe works every time for me.

Dancingqueen17 Fri 19-Jun-15 20:47:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jimblejambles Sun 21-Jun-15 08:27:43

Soupdragons recipe is thrones you need

Footle Tue 23-Jun-15 07:03:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SleepIsOverrated Tue 23-Jun-15 07:13:04

8 oz butter
8 oz sugar
12 oz oats - not jumbo oats.

Melt butter and sugar, stir in oats, press into greased tin. Bake at 180 until bubbling and slightly brown on top. Cut when still a bit warm.

No syrup, no mess, just buttery sweet deliciousness!

SoupDragon Tue 23-Jun-15 07:17:52

<<pricks up ears>>

Did someone mention flapjacks?

250g porridge oats (the cheap type, not large ones),
150g Butter,
2 generous tablespoons (75g) Golden Syrup
half a tin condensed milk

baking tin, no bigger than about 18cm x 28cm

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees c
2. Line the baking tin with baking parchment.
3. Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat and add the syrup. Keep gently heating and stirring until all is melted and mixed.
4. Add the condensed milk and mix. Bring to the boil for about a minute. If I'm honest, I just bung the milk in at step 3.
5. Remove from the heat and gradually add the oats, folding them in. All the oats should be coated, and the mixture quite dense, but still sticky. Don't add so many oats that the mixture becomes dry.
6. Pour the mixture into the tins and spread about so that it lines the tin to a depth of 2-3cm. Don't squash the mixture in, just spread it evenly.
7. Bake in the oven for about 15mins. You should take them out when they just start to go brown round the edges, don't leave longer than this. If they're still squidgy in the middle that's fine, they set on cooling.

SoupDragon Tue 23-Jun-15 07:19:29

Now I may have to make some. Dammit.

250g oats
159g butter
75g golden syrup
75g sugar

Melt the butter, sugar and syrup, stir in the oats. Place in a lined 20cm sq tin, bake at 175C for 25-30 mins, or 185c for the same time for a crunchier finish.

I'm afraid we tried the condensed milk ones once and they got a universal thumbs down as you could taste the condensed milk, I assumed it would caramelise but it didn't.

SoupDragon Tue 23-Jun-15 08:25:23

I assumed it would caramelise but it didn't

That's why you boil it.

Although I'm not entirely sure why tasting condensed milk is bad... I could eat it from the tin with a spoon grin

When I've made caramel from condensed milk in the past I've had to boil it for a lot longer than a minute to get it to go, so it's probably about technique. It sounded like a good idea, but when I think about it, we're a family of condensed milk haters, so it was a bit silly trying it. If you like CM it would be delicious, it did have a good texture.

KatharineClifton Tue 23-Jun-15 09:13:53

Delia's one is the best, it's online somewhere. I do double the recipe, add a extra spoon of syrup and do the lowest measure of butter. Fab.

rosie39forever Tue 23-Jun-15 20:15:31

Another vote for soupdragons flap jacks, bloody lovely.

Heleng1982 Tue 23-Jun-15 20:50:29

I've got a gorgeous recipe for peanut butter and jam flap jack if you want it.. it's like heaven in your mouth smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now