Talk

Advanced search

Alternative to digestive biscuits for cheesecake base?

(29 Posts)
PoppadomPreach Mon 17-Jun-13 12:35:35

Just wondered if anyone had a good alternative to digestive biscuits for a cheesecake base?

I have tried a couple of alternatives (e.g. Maryland cookies) but it still doesn't seem right. I really, really don't like a digestive biscuit base and desperately want a decent alternative!

Any suggestions much appreciated.....

OP’s posts: |
Alwayscheerful Mon 17-Jun-13 12:36:14

Ginger nuts, very good with banoffee pie too.

Mintyy Mon 17-Jun-13 12:36:31

Ginger biscuits make a brilliant cheesecake base.

clearsommespace Mon 17-Jun-13 12:36:47

I second ginger biscuits.

ReadytoOrderSir Mon 17-Jun-13 12:37:19

2nd for gingernuts.

Hobnobs are good too :-)

neontetra Mon 17-Jun-13 12:39:52

Ginger biscuits are brill! Even gluten free ones work well, which is handy.

PoppadomPreach Mon 17-Jun-13 12:44:53

Wow! Didnt expect so many responses, and almost a consensus too!

Regarding ginger nuts - I can't say they are my number one biscuit, but do they transform themselves majestically when mixed with butter and use them as a base?

Even if you don't like ginger nuts, can you still like a ginger nuts

<berates self for being so fussy>

smilingthroughgrittedteeth Mon 17-Jun-13 12:47:39

My friend always uses hob nobs

EugenesAxe Mon 17-Jun-13 12:50:45

poppadum - yes they do. They are especially lovely with a citrus cheesecake. I was going to suggest them as well, by the way.

TrixyPixie Mon 17-Jun-13 12:58:58

pinterest seems to swear by oreos, I haven't tried them, but once the diet is over.... grin

PoppadomPreach Mon 17-Jun-13 13:04:12

Ooh I am making a citrus cheesecake (Nigel slater's orange and lemon cheesecake from kitchen diaries) - I'm sold on the ginger nuts..

(But makes mental note re Oreos for next time I make toblerone cheesecake)

Thank you very much for your replies - genuinely appreciated.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeGoes Mon 17-Jun-13 13:04:53

I hate ginger biscuits, I would find it a very unpleasant surprise if you used them. I like dark chocolate digestives myself, or make a shortbread or pastry base.

Greenandcabbagelooking Mon 17-Jun-13 13:06:05

Chocolate dipped hobnobs are nice.

MrsMangoBiscuit Mon 17-Jun-13 13:07:04

I found oreos make the base too hard. Ginger nuts are fab though. Mmmm ginger and lime cheesecake. <drools>

Damn you all, now I want cheesecake! grin

peachypips Mon 17-Jun-13 13:13:48

Crushed shortbread. You don't need as much butter to hold them together as they are quite buttery already! Get value ones.

nancerama Mon 17-Jun-13 13:28:23

Grape Nuts breakfast cereal makes a lovely crunchy base.

fallenempires Mon 17-Jun-13 14:23:09

Ginger nuts work really well with lemon cheesecake.I've made NY cheesecake with Maryland cookies and that worked too.
Might try bourbon creams next time.
I think it's good to keep on experimenting as you can never have enough cheesescake!grin

EugenesAxe Mon 17-Jun-13 14:38:04

Can I slightly usurp this thread to ask if anyone has made a torte of mascarpone (& lemon, in my case, but lime is a common recipe too) and then frozen it with success on thawing?

I'm worried it will go weird, but if anyone's done it and can reassure me that would be great. I have cheese to use up but no occasion in the near future on which to eat the damn torte.

hollyisalovelyname Mon 17-Jun-13 14:52:53

Lovely chocolate cake in deli nearby has a base of what i think are corn flakes or similar

trice Mon 17-Jun-13 15:00:46

Brownie or chocolate concrete base. Yum.

sharond101 Mon 17-Jun-13 22:09:35

I had one before made with weetabix, don't know what they added to make it taste good though. Custard creams too but again don't know how to do it.????http://thegoddesskitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/lemon-meringue-cheesecake.html

PoppadomPreach Mon 17-Jun-13 22:34:32

I'm going to stick with ginger nuts, but a few other intriguing suggestions (Weetabix - seriously?!). Planning to make tue so will report back......

DTisMYdoctor Mon 17-Jun-13 22:37:19

Another hobnobs vote!

FredFredGeorge Wed 19-Jun-13 08:50:17

Ginger nuts are really good, or kruidnoten (should you have any laying around which is perhaps unlikely here...)

A very thin sponge actually also makes a really good base I think, although it needs to be a no bake cheesecake then I suspect.

Crunchymunchyhoneycakes Wed 19-Jun-13 11:28:06

Does anyone know if when you use Oreos you use them whole or throw away the cream from the middle?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »