Talk

Advanced search

Halal/Vegan marshmallows

(9 Posts)
WhoIsThatMaskedWoman Fri 21-Oct-11 17:17:21

DD wants to make a marshmallow cupcake recipe she's found for a school cake day thing, but she doesn't want to leave out her Muslim classmates, bless her, so no pig gelatin allowed. Where can I buy pig-free marshmallows? (preferably cheaply).

YougreatPumpkinmousse Fri 21-Oct-11 17:21:16

I think the M&S mini marshmallows are veggie also a few of the supermarket own brands ones (Asda ones were when I used them years ago)

madmomma Fri 21-Oct-11 19:34:44

I think the haribo people do a halal version which asda sells. (in the asian food aisle) Your daughter is so sweet to be so considerate.

MrsSnow Fri 21-Oct-11 23:24:52

If you have asian/halal shops near you they will definitely sell them.

Definitely a lovely gesture.

stickybean Fri 21-Oct-11 23:27:28

If you live near any kosher shops you'll be able to get some there.

WhoIsThatMaskedWoman Fri 21-Oct-11 23:46:44

Great, I should be able to find some somewhere then - may try Tooting Broadway shops if Brixton market can't provide.

badaboom Sat 22-Oct-11 13:24:35

That's very thoughtful of both of you. I remember watching James Martin making marshmallows on his cookery show last year. It looks easy to make. You can get vegetarian/vegan gelatine from any major grocery shop or the asian shop where it's called agar.

uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/577053

Just discovered recently that those fizzy cola jelly pops from the pick n mix contains pig gelatine.

iskra Mon 24-Oct-11 10:39:16

if you are in Brixton try Noor Cash & Carry in the market. Tooting will definitely have.

jammyscone Mon 24-Oct-11 12:02:43

e-bay - look for Sweet Vegan marshmallows, they sell mis-shapes cheaper than they do from their own shop. M&S ones (and any other supermarket versions I've ever checked) are not veggie or halal.

Marshmallow fluff from a jar might also be an option, if it's more the flavour you want than needing the texture, as they tend not to have gelatin in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now