Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would you eat this shepherds pie??

(25 Posts)
FollowMe Wed 16-Mar-11 14:34:33

I made a huge shepherds pie last night (probably cottage pie actually, its made from beef?) and we only ate half of it.
Left the rest in the dish on the side to cool down, covered in tin foil.
Forgot to put in the fridge overnight!
I put it in the fridge as soon as I saw it this morning. Is it ruined? or would you eat it tonight after making sure it was heated really really well??

Joolyjoolyjoo Wed 16-Mar-11 14:35:19

I would say it will be fine!

onepieceoflollipop Wed 16-Mar-11 14:36:20

What temperature is your kitchen? Ours is on the cool side (no radiator) so depending on location I might risk it.

Personally I wouldn't give it to children or anyone else potentially vulnerable (pregnant or old or similar) if I did risk it at all.

ExitPursuedByALamb Wed 16-Mar-11 14:36:22

I do this, but mine are made with veggie mince so I worry less. Just make sure it is well heated. How hot is your kitchen overnight?

It should be fine. Beef doesn't go dodgy as easily as chicken or pork, and it wasn't exactly a hot night last night.

FollowMe Wed 16-Mar-11 14:40:44

My kitchen is quite cool.

It would be me and the DCs that would be eating it. They are young and I am pregnant confused

onepieceoflollipop Wed 16-Mar-11 14:52:29

Years ago my grandad (he is no longer with us but it was old age that saw him off, not what I am about to type wink) used to store left over food in the cooled down oven, covered in foil. He did have a fridge, but in his day they used the larder, or anywhere else that was fly and dust free.

Ragwort Wed 16-Mar-11 14:54:24

I often leave food out to cool and then forget to put it in the fridge blush - I never get food poisoning. I prefer my food at room temperature anyway, left over pizza is quite nice for breakfast grin.

JenaiMarrHePlaysGuitar Wed 16-Mar-11 17:05:31

Good grief, it'll be absolutely fine!

At this time of year it wouldn't have found its way to the fridge at all, tbh.

Marlinspike Wed 16-Mar-11 17:10:19

I'm always doing this! I am sure if you make sure it's piping hot you will be absolutely fine.

berri Fri 18-Mar-11 12:51:17

Yes definitely fine, I do this loads, as we eat quite late it's always too hot to put in the fridge when we go to bed, so it goes in in the morning.

Never had food poisoning in my life!

darksideofthemooncup Fri 18-Mar-11 12:53:39

It will be fine, just make sure its heated through properly.

FollowMe Fri 18-Mar-11 12:54:09

We ate it and survived! Thanks all

Anonymousbird Fri 18-Mar-11 18:37:50

I do this, regularly blush and we are always fine. Just heat really well (as others said).

Oh sorry, just noticed! You've done it! There you go!

Dancergirl Fri 18-Mar-11 22:16:59

God, yes! Cooked meat doesn't actually go off that easily. And overnight with the heating off and night temps still quite low it's fine.

I always leave my chicken soup out overnight as it's too hot to go in the fridge.

leannesmom Tue 14-Feb-17 21:17:15

I'm searching the internet for advice... I saw this one and feel a little relieved but want to ask anyway - if anyone is still out there. I cooked a shepherd's pie last night, cooled it, topped it with foil and refrigerated it overnight. Then I put it in the trunk of my car this morning and have left it in there all day so that I can bring it to my friend's for dinner tonight. It is winter and thought it would be ok but we are having an uncharacteristically warm day in February! The high today is 10C so the food in the trunk has likely been sitting at between 5C and 8C all morning... Will it still be good to eat tonight after I heat it in the oven?? Should I risk it?

4merlyknownasSHD Wed 15-Feb-17 08:54:51

leannesmom, 5 deg.C is about fridge temperature anyway, so I wouldn't see a problem. Anyway, the thing to remember is that we are all alive and we are descendants of people who didn't have fridges. I sometimes think we buy a fridge and then loose our brains. We NEVER store eggs, Root Veg, Onions, Jam, Tomatoes or Fruit in the fridge, just Greens, Dairy, Fish and uncooked Meat. Unopened butter lives in the fridge, but never opened butter which just sits in a dish on top of the bread bin. We would store cooked meat in there long-term, but if we had a cold larder we wouldn't.

Jellybean83 Wed 15-Feb-17 16:12:41

I would, I leave things to cool on the worktop next the the backdoor, coldest place in the kitchen and it only gets colder overnight so it would be just as cold as a fridge. I wouldn't in summertime when it's hotter, DP would and has though.

leannesmom Wed 15-Feb-17 16:28:55

4merlyknownasSHD - Thanks! That made me laugh.. You're so right!
And I decided that as well, that my trunk would not be much more than fridge temp and I had completely safely handled the meat prior, and I'd be reheating it... And I did and it was fine. We're all still alive and well smilesmilesmile
Thanks for responding. I'll show it to my boyfriend who was giving me a hard time.

leannesmom Wed 15-Feb-17 16:29:53

Jellybean83, me either, I totally would not have tried to pull this off during the summer months at all. Thanks!

TroysMammy Wed 15-Feb-17 16:30:43

I'm always doing this. It will be fine if reheated properly.

DeleteOrDecay Wed 15-Feb-17 16:31:11

I would and have eaten things under those circumstances. Our kitchen is very cool, especially during the colder months and even in summer unless it's exceptionally hot I would still eat it.

TroysMammy Wed 15-Feb-17 16:31:41

Can't believe I didn't look at the date of this Zombie thread.

Jellybean83 Wed 15-Feb-17 16:33:02

Damn!

Mrsgandyb Wed 15-Feb-17 16:33:07

I have a friend who lives in Mumbai . Was messaging her one day and basically had same query and she said mrs gandy you are not living in India , don't your dare throw out food left out over night . And the poster who said about their grandad yes that would be right . People did not have fridges years ago and they were fine

What about the big turkey carcass left out over Xmas . Most of us do that .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now