Talk

Advanced search

Do I absolutely need to use dowels to stack a two tier cake?

(6 Posts)
catski Fri 12-Nov-10 12:41:04

The bottom tier would be nine inches and the top tier would be six inches.

Never done a tiered cake before. Dowels look a bit scary. (And I don't have any. Can I use wooden kebab sticks cut to size?!)

PrettyCandles Fri 12-Nov-10 12:59:19

You don't need to use either. Get some McDonald's-type straws (ie fat, but not bendy) and cut them with scissors to exactly the height of the iced bottom tier. When you are ready to stack the cakes just push the straws through the bottom cake and they will support the next tier very nicely.

Three pieces of straw should do the job nicely, spaced out so that they are about 1" in from the edge of the upper tier's base.

aseriouslyblondemoment Fri 12-Nov-10 14:07:16

agree with candles suggestion
what type of cake is it btw?

catski Fri 12-Nov-10 16:28:14

Thanks. Straws I can get hold of, even if I have to raid the golden arches. It's a madeira cak aseriouslyblondemoment.

PrettyCandles Fri 12-Nov-10 16:52:46

It works well with sponge/Madeira type cakes. Skewers would not be reliable - being so thin they are less stable. So there would be a risk that, if you didn't put them in perfectly upright, the weight of the second cake could cause them to slide sideways and cut through the cake.

catski Fri 12-Nov-10 18:25:32

I see what you mean. Straws it is then. Thanks PrettyCandles.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: