Talk

Advanced search

Just see Brooklyn for the first time.

(16 Posts)
PiperChapstick Fri 18-Mar-16 21:01:54

Fabulous film!! Loved every moment, and Saoirse Ronan is incredibly talented (also nice to hear her use her Irish accent).

Just thought I'd leave this here grin

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Fri 18-Mar-16 21:03:50

It's a lovely wee film isn't it? smile

DorothyL Fri 18-Mar-16 21:04:12

I loved it. As somebody who moved to another country I thought it showed the misery of homesickness so well.

I wanted her to stay in Ireland.

BitOfFun Fri 18-Mar-16 23:20:39

Noooooo, she had a future in America! I loved it too though.

PiperChapstick Fri 18-Mar-16 23:22:14

Yes she definitely belonged in America. I think she felt obliged to stay because she was such a homebird, and missed her sister and mother, but her heart was with Tony!

TeaforRoo Sat 19-Mar-16 10:02:50

I saw the film before reading the book. I much prefer the film. Ellis has more power in the film and Saoirse is incredible in her acting, conveying so much in a just a glance. I'd love to see her and Tom Hiddleston together in a film there wouldn't be much need for a script they could say it all with their eyes.

Liiinoo Tue 30-Aug-16 17:20:52

I read the book because Dh was raving about it and thought it was 'meh'. Felt the same way about the movie although Saoirse made it bearable.

I read a while ago that they were going to make a TV series about the NY boarding house with Julie Walters reprising her role as the landlady. That would be more up my street.

hollyisalovelyname Sat 10-Sep-16 19:08:44

I thought it was great.
The horrible woman in Enniscorthy really existed. I met someone who knew her and confirmed how horrible she was!!!

JenLindleyShitMom Sat 10-Sep-16 19:11:19

Oh I saw this a few weeks ago and loved it. A lovely, feel good (at the end) film. Really surprised myself by how much I liked it. Saoirse was fab in it. I couldn't understand her wanting to stay in Ireland at all so backward, and that man was not anywhere near as cute as her Italian husband!

JenLindleyShitMom Sat 10-Sep-16 19:13:04

I read a while ago that they were going to make a TV series about the NY boarding house with Julie Walters reprising her role as the landlady. That would be more up my street.

Oh I'd love that. JW was hilarious in that role.

Stevefromstevenage Sat 10-Sep-16 19:13:48

I wouldn't not leave Domhnall Gleeson for all America has to offer. I would have stayed in Ireland <swoon>

MadisonAvenue Sat 10-Sep-16 19:18:22

I rarely watch films but was totally engrossed when I watched this, I loved it!
I was going to mention the TV series, I hope it happens.

And yes, she had to be in America!

hollyisalovelyname Sun 11-Sep-16 09:22:31

I think it was based on the author's aunt.

TheStorySoFar Sat 06-May-17 21:48:50

Is Brooklyn ok for a 9yo & 11yo? Know it's rated 13, haven't seen it myself.

superoz Sat 06-May-17 22:38:40

There is one part where Saiorse Ronan's character loses her virginity, so that's why it has a 12A rating.
It is the only bit in the film which stands out as being 'adult' content, but it is sexual.
Otherwise it is a wonderful piece of storytelling.

CreamCheez Sat 06-May-17 22:41:51

Watched it at the cinema with Mum. We both cried as she said it really reminded her of when I left home for London. Such a great movie!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now