Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had success with the OMAD (one meal a day) diet?

(12 Posts)
user1494426473 Wed 09-Aug-17 21:01:01

I don't really need to lose a lot of weight but having suffered with an ED in my teens and 20's I have a bit of a complicated relationship with food now. I am recovered from the ED but still find food a source of stress and have a love/hate relationship with it. I have a habit of snacking mindlessly in the evening to the point where I feel full and uncomfortable and regret it (though I'm still usually within my recommended calorie intake for the day). I think it's because I spent so many years restricting my diet and starving myself that now I subconsciously make a decision to just say "f*ck it" and refuse to say no to myself and deny myself food if I want it!

The OMAD diet sounds like a very simple way to eat - to just allow myself one full meal a day of whatever foods I feel like eating and then once that window has passed that's you done for the day. I regularly miss breakfast and eat a late lunch anyway so to condense my food intake down into one full meal at around 5-6pm could potentially work well and an added bonus is that if friends or family invite you out for dinner or brunch you don't have to make excuses or dissect everything on the menu - you just count that as your meal that day. Ideally I'd try to make it a well rounded meal - protein, carbs, veg and fruit.

I'd love to know if anyone has tried it and whether it's a) sustainable b) convenient c) effective for losing weight and exactly what they ate on an average day and what success they had. As I say I don't really have much to lose but would like to feel a little less wobbly and just make food play a less important role in my life, one that I only have to think about once a day.

TIA

ForgotwhatIcameinherefor Wed 30-Aug-17 00:45:40

I've done it pretty much for most of the past couple of years and in terms of convenience etc it worked really well for me no time wasted on breakfast for me in morning so quickly get myself ready while DDs eat theirs; I work from directly after school drop off until not quite just in time for picking up after school so no lunch break and job is busy so time flies... one evening meal. I'd have lo carb.
I find this super easy to stick to and just realised the main reason why is probably because I am a lone worker so no colleagues to tempt me with smells/talk/crunching sounds!
In terms of success unfortunately due to PCOS I haven't really lost anything. Damn.
Saved £££ though.

Mollie85 Tue 05-Sep-17 08:54:49

Hello OP I started this on Friday of last week. It's not a huge stretch for me as I skip breakfast and lunch usually - although I then stuff myself silly from 4pm - 9pm, hence being overweight. (I can easily hit 3000+kcals)

I am allowing myself a two hour window in which to eat my daily calories (4-6pm). I've downloaded an app called Lose it! Which has taken the guess work out of it for me by telling me how many kcals I need, how soon I'll reach my goal etc; plus it has a barcode scanner with which to track food consumption.

I eat my 1550 kcals in the two hour window (some days I can be quite under by a significant amount - yesterday I was under by 427) but I was stuffed and wasn't going to force it for the sake of it. I also eat what I like but have at least three cups (US measuring cups) of vegetables on my plate.

It's early days, but so far so good. I've also looked at people who are following this way of eating on YouTube which has been helpful.

AdamBurns1 Thu 28-Sep-17 02:50:17

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

everyonesgotanopinion Sat 14-Oct-17 07:23:14

I find OMAD a stretch sometimes but am having great success with Fast5. Five hour eating window. Free download and comprehensive book. Definitely recommend it 😊

donerwillbehere Sat 14-Oct-17 10:53:47

Can someone explain ....... do I eat fruit ? Then a meal once a day ? Sorry to sound dumb , just wanted to clarify .... I need to lose weight fast and keep it off .

Could someone explain.

Thanks

everyonesgotanopinion Sat 14-Oct-17 17:28:37

My understanding is it's OMAD, so nothing else except fluids that won't spike your insulin - like water or herbal teas. Perhaps start on something that doesn't feel like such a challenge like maybe SlimmingWorld. I started on that and lost 1.5 stone quite easily then moved on to more of a intermittent fasting regime; though I do a five hour fast rather than OMAD. Physically and psychologically this isn't hard at all and once you've lost most of your weight it's a great way to keep it off. I've lost another 7 lbs doing this. Good luck and happy to answer any questions you have 😊

Beansonapost Sat 14-Oct-17 18:19:37

Sorry OP but I don’t quite understand how this isn’t an extension is your ED...

From what you’ve said I think you’d be better off on a different type of diet, and maybe working on properly changing your relationship with food.

A1Sharon Tue 17-Oct-17 08:49:56

Yes, I agree with Beansonapost I'm afraid.
I occasionally do the 5 bite diet to shift 10lbs. Its a quick easy way to shift the weight. However, it, and other very restrictive diets like it, are meant to be used short term, not as a way of eating forever. And they always say not to follow these type of diets if you have a history of ED. There is a reason they say that.

sunshineintheclouds Tue 17-Oct-17 08:52:34

I would feel soo sick if I didn't eat till evening sad

Harebellmeadow Sun 22-Oct-17 09:18:36

If you can read German, this respected professor details intermittant fasting in a balanced and scientific way. He is also on OMAD but there is no eating disorder involved. His key is balance and health.

Larsitter Mon 23-Oct-17 20:59:47

It makes sense and when I have done it it works for me. It is how people ate for a long period ( and still do in some cultures) so it is bound to be what is best for humans.

No, don't eat any fruit at all if you can manage it if you want to ose weight as it just spikes your blood sugar. Eat lots of veg if you feel like a piece of fruit. If you have no weight to lose then of course fruit is good for you in moderation like most things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now