Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Copper IUD causing problems after years of being fine

(3 Posts)
TalesOfTheCity Tue 28-Oct-14 19:40:04

I have used the copper IUD all together for around 15 years (not the same one) and have been extremely happy with it. The first time I had one inserted, a very long time ago, I had heavy periods for about 6 months, but that settled down and it was fine after that.

I've had my current IUD for about 3 years and I thought everything was fine with it. At the beginning of this year, I started spotting and that carried on for several months. Went to the GP and took norethisterone to stop it. That worked, but since then my periods have still been all over the place - very heavy, lasting ages, two periods in a month etc. I'm 40 and I've never spotted once or had an abnormal period before this year. I've had an ultrasound which was normal and blood tests which were all normal. My GP told me, back in May, I should change to the Mirena and I was not really interested in doing that because I couldn't see why this would suddenly happen, but another GP at a new practice told me recently that actually it was possible for the copper IUD to start causing problems like this after being fine for a long time.

I was just wondering whether anyone else has had anything like this happen?

Last week I was so sick of the incessant bleeding, I'd happily have pulled the thing out with tweezers myself but I'm feeling less murderous now and today made an appointment, reluctantly, to have it switched for a Mirena to see if that makes it better.

Cooki3Monst3r Tue 28-Oct-14 22:31:13

I don't know why an IUD previously fine would suddenly give you trouble. But I definitely think it's worth changing.

My first IUD was inserted 20 years ago and for 7 years gave me heavy periods and terrible period pains (sometimes bad enough to stay off work). I thought this was just the flip-side I had to put up with. Then when I had my 2nd IUD inserted (a different make to the 1st) my period pains stopped immediately and periods weren't nearly as heavy. That lasted for 7 years until my first DC.

Hope your new IUD works for you.

TalesOfTheCity Thu 30-Oct-14 14:03:38

Thanks! Maybe I will find out whether it's possible to switch to a different copper IUD instead, which would be my very strong preference, and whether it could be a problem with either this specific coil, or the make.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now