Talk

Advanced search

Gymnastics equipment. What's good?

(24 Posts)
ThatsWotSheSaid Sun 14-May-17 20:56:25

My DD is 6 and loves gymnastics. She does it recreationally and I don't think she's going to be on a squad or anything but she loves it and practices all the time at home and loves to make progress show off.
She is good at floor and the bar thing because we have a mat (Ikea) and a pull up bar at home. Should we get a beam? If so which one?
Is there any other must haves for a beginner gymnast.

sleepwhenidie Sun 14-May-17 21:01:45

DD has a foldaway practice beam and it is great, she loves it. Would highly recommend that.

sleepwhenidie Sun 14-May-17 21:02:10

It's a faux suede one btw, eBay, about £50

ThatsWotSheSaid Sun 14-May-17 21:55:35

* sleep* Do you think its better than a one with legs?

treaclesoda Sun 14-May-17 21:58:35

My daughter loves her beam (a foam type one that lies flat on the ground) but now that she is taller it isn't quite long enough. Well, it's long enough for one cartwheel...so if I was buying again, I would spend a bit more money and go for the one that has velcro on the end so that you can attach it to another one and have a much longer beam.

She loves her big wedge shaped mat too. And a good thick flat mat too.

ThatsWotSheSaid Sun 14-May-17 22:53:04

This kind of thing?

treaclesoda Sun 14-May-17 22:54:26

yes, exactly that sort of thing smile.

MrsEms Sun 14-May-17 23:14:35

Hi, ThatsWotsheSaid,

I have a five soon to be six year old DD who's been going to recreational gymnastics for a few weeks now and loves it and is constantly upside down.
Been looking for things to buy for her birthday so will watch your post with interest. We are currently looking at a folding beam but did wonder if these are useful when they are older/taller or if one that sits of the ground is better.
Not sure what else to look at.

ThatsWotSheSaid Mon 15-May-17 16:40:05

Mrs ems we have one of these which my daughter loves and I think was a great buy. Apparemtly it can encourage them to do the moves incorrectly as they are not being coached while they are using it but I'm not to worried about that. It can also be used to help with straight hand stands.

Lyricaldancer Mon 15-May-17 21:07:39

We were discouraged from buying those beams by the coaches. Some parents used sticky tape instead.

Our best buy was a proper gym mat. Also pedestal stands. Then for stretches and splits: yoga blocks, Deuser band, and one of those arabesque harness contraptions.

MrsEms Mon 15-May-17 23:31:19

Hi again Thatswotshesaid,

Do you need to screw the bar in. Our place hasn't done bar work so far, so we be safe purchasing one?
How does it help with handstands?
Lyricaldancer why are you discouraged? I did say to her dad to bring some tape home from work :-)
I saw a friend whose DD does competitive gymnastics with pedestals stand on her facebook page but for a beginner in recreational would they be worth it in a few weeks or would it be better something from santa?

Lyricaldancer Tue 16-May-17 10:42:55

I'm not sure! They look ok to me, the floor level fold out variety, and that's what we were tempted to buy in the beginning. They would help with balance at least, wouldn't they? Rather than for attempting anything more adventurous.
I think it was more to do with them being not much use than for safety or other reasons etc One of the things said was 'you'd be better off using a line of tape'. I'll have to find out!

2014newme Tue 16-May-17 10:44:45

The pull up bar can bend doorways so no careful

Lyricaldancer Tue 16-May-17 10:46:17

Oh, we have some of those Ikea mats, OP. I think they're fine for floor work etc, but we bought a heavy duty folding mat for any tumbling and backbend type exercises.

ThatsWotSheSaid Tue 16-May-17 20:15:59

lyricaldancer what tumbling may did you get. The Ikea one is a bit slippy for back bend stuff so maybe I need a new mat too.
2014newme thanks for the heads up I didn't know that about the doors.

ThatsWotSheSaid Tue 16-May-17 20:17:34

I've decided to get a beam like this I'll let you know what I think when it arrives.

Lyricaldancer Tue 16-May-17 20:27:01

We have this 8ft one from ebay, but you can get larger sizes. We use it as a bench/seat when not in use grin

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370853050354?var=640105029754

ThatsWotSheSaid Tue 16-May-17 20:41:43

Thanks smile

ThatsWotSheSaid Fri 19-May-17 21:23:51

I got lots the beam today. It's a 'proper' gym beam with legs and can with be on the ground or about a foot from the ground (two sets of legs). I got it on gumtree for £75. It's a kind of suede type material and 8 foot long. I think it's great so far. My DD loves it and has done so many cartwheels 🤸‍♂️ I feel dizzy.

MrsEms Sun 28-May-17 11:30:54

Hi ThatsWotSheSaid is the beam getting much use? Still looking at birthday ideas and really am considering a beam . Thanks

ThatsWotSheSaid Tue 30-May-17 11:50:46

Yes she has been using it everyday. My 2 year old likes walking along it too. It's a big bit of kit if your pushed for room but so far I think it's been a really good purchase.

refinnejk Tue 20-Jun-17 16:48:44

Sorry to add to this thread - I am researching gymnastics equipment for my dd who will be 9 this weekend (left it a bit late...!) I am deciding between two mats at the moment, any thoughts appreciated...

www.amazon.co.uk/MiraFit-Large-Folding-Exercise-Gymnastics/dp/B00QVKS8J8/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_200_bs_lp_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4GZCJCW2JZ9KE4K12DMM&tag=mumsnetforum-21
(£80 including delivery)

www.amazon.co.uk/Cannons-UK-Foldable-Gymnastics-Mat/dp/B012FW9WPY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1497973084&sr=8-6&keywords=FOLDABLE+GYMNASTICS+MAT&tag=mumsnetforum-21 (£115 including delivery)

Lyricaldancer Thu 22-Jun-17 10:02:04

I don't know anything about the other mat but we have two Canons mats (one for outdoors) and they're very tough and good quality. I linked to the sort we have just up thread, no carry handles though (but the mat I linked to is quite heavy)

refinnejk Thu 22-Jun-17 15:57:07

Thank you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now