Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know how to calculate annualised hours?

(6 Posts)
elliott Thu 25-Sep-08 09:21:08

The relevant facts are: normal working week 37.5 hours, annual leave entitlement 5 weeks plus bank holidays, contract would be 80% fte.
Does anyone know how this would be calculated as a total number of hours needed to be worked throughout the year?
Obviously we will need to hear what the company HR dept say, but a rough idea would be good.

flowerybeanbag Thu 25-Sep-08 09:26:05

Apologies I'm cutting and pasting this from elsewhere -

'Annual hours are expressed as ‘gross’ (including annual leave and public holidays) or ‘net’ (excluding these elements). Employees are paid for gross hours; the net figure is the time actually worked. Thus an employee on a notional 35 hour week and with 25 days’ annual leave plus 8 days’ public holiday would have the following yearly contract: 52.14 weeks x 35 hours = 1,825 hours (gross) minus 25 days’ (175 hours) annual leave and 8 days’ (56 hours) public holiday = 1,594 hours (net).'

So if you change the 35 in that example to 37.5, that would give you the f/t annualised hours, you'd then obviously just need to work out 80%.

elliott Thu 25-Sep-08 09:28:23

OK, thanks. I suppose companies might have rules about how you could spread those hours which might complicate things? Do you have any experience of how this works out in practice?

elliott Thu 25-Sep-08 09:32:21

I get for my example that 1366.2 hours would need to be worked. Where I start getting confused is around bank holidays - but I've already factored them in, yes? so in my example the person would need to work 36.4 full time weeks. But in practice they would work some part weeks.

flowerybeanbag Thu 25-Sep-08 09:35:15

I've not had it happen all that much if I'm honest. I had a couple of fairly senior employees working on about 75% a few years ago and it seemed to work well.

We didn't have any rules in place as such, it wasn't a common arrangement by any means. They were doing the same job and the understanding was they would make sure their work was covered and someone was available most of the time, otherwise they more or less managed it themselves and saved up time off for school holidays mostly.

It worked for them but I have to say if I were introducing it as a common practice on a more widespread basis rather than an individual arrangement that was negotiated (and that the rest of the organisation didn't even know about), I'd certainly put some guidelines and restrictions in place, depending on what the requirements of the job were and how many people were on this arrangement. Main problems would be managing it in terms of record keeping, how far in advance to organise when person will be working, and depending on the job, whether there is a need for regular 'cover'.

flowerybeanbag Thu 25-Sep-08 09:36:58

x-post, exactly, you've factored in bank holidays and holiday entitlement, so it just a case of how the total would be worked, whether you are allowed to work more than a full week at any time, whether you can choose to take part weeks whenever you like and complete weeks off whenever you like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now