So stressed after 3 weeks

(14 Posts)
Cazz246 Mon 27-Jul-20 11:10:39

3 weeks ago I started a part time HCSW clinic job with NHS. This area of work is something I have never done before and I was promised a lot of training, which I need. However, training is manager barking orders at 100 mph.
The problem is even after day one , I could see not just few cracks but huge crevices. HCSW and qualified RGNs all doing exactly the same work , work load is huge , nobody finishes on time . Manager blames it on poor time management of the member of staff.
Nurses are staying late , doing patient notes on days off, rota gets changed at the drop of a hat, no notice from manager, she expects you to check the rota everyday !
The main problem for me is in a couple of weeks time I will be left on my own to run a clinic ,with all the responsibilities of a qualified nurse I didn’t sign up for this level of stress.
I have had a horrendous weekend, crying, heart racing, headache. I don’t think I can make it in tomorrow or ever again. It’s already affecting my health, and ruining my days off.
I’m not far off retiring, so not ambitious, I just want to leave today with immediate effect.
Just wondering what opinions anyone has on never going back, literally ringing up today and quitting.

OP’s posts: |
CloudsCanLookLikeSheep Mon 27-Jul-20 11:20:13

Check your contract. I did this once in a job where there was no notice either side in the first month, presumably so they could get rid of someone they didn't like at will.

If your contract specifies a notice period you should get signed off with stress for it and simultaneously resign. There's nothing they can really do about it, and if you're not going to see them again then just do it.

Cazz246 Mon 27-Jul-20 11:38:01

I’m on 6 months probation, my contract actually says one month ( used to be a week) However, there would be no point in staying as I’m being trained for nothing!
I know in the first month legally you can just leave with immediate effect. I’m just watching and doing what I can to assist someone else at the moment, so if I wasn’t there it wouldn’t make anybody else any more busy.

GoGoGone Mon 27-Jul-20 11:58:54

It sounds like the work isn't being done safely if they are leaving unqualified people in charge. I would consider looking at your whistleblowing policies and flagging issues to senior management. It doesn't sound safe.

Cazz246 Mon 27-Jul-20 12:07:14

GoGo , that’s exactly how I feel, it’s not safe practice, this is why I’m feeling so upset and stressed. I was looking forward to the job , but not like this.
I will be expected to perform new patient assessments, which in every previous job I’ve had has been a nurses job and HCSW carry out and assist under their direction and support. My job description says the same.
As for whistle blowing, I can’t be bothered, I’d rather just walk away.
The other two locations there is a nurse and HCSW but for whatever reason I’m left on my own.

CloudsCanLookLikeSheep Mon 27-Jul-20 14:54:48

Cazz246

I’m on 6 months probation, my contract actually says one month ( used to be a week) However, there would be no point in staying as I’m being trained for nothing!
I know in the first month legally you can just leave with immediate effect. I’m just watching and doing what I can to assist someone else at the moment, so if I wasn’t there it wouldn’t make anybody else any more busy.

Statutory notice is zero in the first month but your contractual notice supercedes this. However, unless you are in a very significant role (eg CEO) they are unlikely to take any legal action if you just walk. Just do it. I left a job after 2 weeks (was on 0 contractual notice) and just phoned up and said it wasn't for me. To be honest when you are a few weeks in they'd probably rather that, it saves them having you hanging around when you have resigned or them having to pay you notice.

updownroundandround Mon 27-Jul-20 15:08:26

Welcome to the NHS sad

It would be nice if your post was seen by more posters on MN, as there's been dozens of threads along the lines of

''Most of the NHS have had LESS work during Covid, not more.....''

''Nurses knew what they signed on for, so why are they moaning....''

''At least NHS staff have jobs that are safe ! Unlike the private sector..''

''Nurse wages are actually very good, they're NOT poorly paid.....''

Yeah, right.........angry I'm so fed up with hearing the crap, when the reality is the NHS is worse than ever, and the staff are ground down, demoralised and exhausted angry

When the reality is exactly what you've been experiencing sad

And the absolute bloody cherry on top are the ''let's carry on as normal, have parties, attend rally's, go to the pub............it'll be FINE......'' angry or the ever more popular '' Covid is just a conspiracy made up by the government...........confused, so just carry on as normal, no masks, no social distancing etc................ either one means MORE work for the NHS angry

I hope you feel better soon flowers, and don't put your health/ mental health at risk. If you can afford to leave financially, then do so rather than risk your health.

Cazz246 Mon 27-Jul-20 16:27:05

Updownround, Everything you say is bang on!
I have returned to NHS after 6 years, ( was working in a Hospice, but that’s another story! ) 6 years ago things were going down hill but nothing like the state of play now.
I never had the stress like this in any other service, especially after such a short period of time.
The mortgage is paid, so I my wages are for luxuries like holidays.....but nobody with any sense is going anywhere soon!
I think the time has come to take some time out and be a housewife! Have a gap year! 😁😁

twiglet123 Tue 28-Jul-20 13:22:49

OP I started a new job at an NHS dentist yesterday. My manager started the day by telling me how stressed out she was, then how many voicemails on her phone she had to deal with (21 at one point). Place was badly run - patient files were kept in the toilet and the fire exit was blocked with stacks of faulty equipment that no longer worked. Everyone there was stressed and unhappy. I quit this morning after 1 day! You get a feeling for a place every quickly and I could tell I would be unhappy there.

Cazz246 Wed 29-Jul-20 17:50:34

I would like to thank everyone for their input and feedback, I have just sadly resigned. I have been extremely anxious and speaking to my manager over the last 24 hrs to try and some come to some kind of compromise re a band 3 doing a band 5 job completely alone and unsupported.
I asked if I could be with a nurse just once a week. No can do , the service is set up and is what it is.
I know they completely understood my anxieties and concerns, but not willing to do anything about it, knowing I was going to leave.
Other locations have a 3 and a 5 , so I really don’t understand what has happened as I was told before I started I would be with a nurse.
I gave up a job of 5 years, while being paid to work from home, for this.......no job and no income, through being misled.
DH thinks there’s something very odd going on , possibly not going to keep this leg of the service open for very long....who knows?
Anyway my knotted tummy is starting to feel a little better, should hopefully get a better nights sleep tonight.

CloudsCanLookLikeSheep Wed 29-Jul-20 22:03:35

Cazz246

I would like to thank everyone for their input and feedback, I have just sadly resigned. I have been extremely anxious and speaking to my manager over the last 24 hrs to try and some come to some kind of compromise re a band 3 doing a band 5 job completely alone and unsupported.
I asked if I could be with a nurse just once a week. No can do , the service is set up and is what it is.
I know they completely understood my anxieties and concerns, but not willing to do anything about it, knowing I was going to leave.
Other locations have a 3 and a 5 , so I really don’t understand what has happened as I was told before I started I would be with a nurse.
I gave up a job of 5 years, while being paid to work from home, for this.......no job and no income, through being misled.
DH thinks there’s something very odd going on , possibly not going to keep this leg of the service open for very long....who knows?
Anyway my knotted tummy is starting to feel a little better, should hopefully get a better nights sleep tonight.

Its shit and I sympathise. I gave up a job of 5 years 2 years ago due to being completely misled by the agency and employer during the recruitment process. How are we supposed to know what job to take without a crystal ball. Hope you can find something else better, even in this market. Sadly they will bullshit the next person to get someone in and hope they are not in a position to leave.

Cazz246 Tue 18-Aug-20 00:33:09

Just a quick update for anybody who was kind enough to comment on my predicament.
Well, well, lo and behold, my Band 3 HCSW has been readvertised , it is now a bloody Band 5 nurse. After I was adamantly told there was no nurse support for me, I feel I was used as some kind of bait in order to get more commissioning for a Band 5 .......which has left me out of a job.
At least I have the satisfaction of now knowing I didn’t over react, and was correct in knowing I was being used as a cheap Band 5.
I hope the managers can sleep at night.😡😡😡😡

Bargebill19 Thu 20-Aug-20 12:19:59

That’s applying. But you made the right choice for you and in a way, for patient safety. Be proud of that.
Hope you find something that’s right for you soon.

Bargebill19 Thu 20-Aug-20 12:20:26

Appalling (autocorrect)

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in