Talk

Advanced search

Fixed term contracts and pay rises

(6 Posts)
phoria Tue 05-Nov-19 22:41:56

I'm mid-way through a 12 month FTC. Never been on one before. The person who was in this job before me was here for a few years so essentially the position is a permanent one. It's not through an agency. I've been told my company often start off people in this way.

Does this mean at the end of my contract I can renegotiate pay if they renew it? Is that an accepted thing to do? Or does it just tend to continue on the same terms?

OP’s posts: |
flowery Wed 06-Nov-19 08:03:14

Yes of course you can renegotiate if you want to. They may offer you either an extension or a permanent contract, which may or may not be on the same salary. You can then choose to accept that, reject it, or negotiate terms. Same as when you were offered the post to start with.

CloudsCanLookLikeSheep Wed 06-Nov-19 11:12:55

You can negotiate, but why would they give you more money if you were happy to work on the previous salary doing the same job? You may find it hard to justify a rationale that makes sense for them.

KatherineJaneway Wed 06-Nov-19 12:44:06

I did. Just renegotiated when offered a perm position.

flowery Wed 06-Nov-19 13:21:50

”You can negotiate, but why would they give you more money if you were happy to work on the previous salary doing the same job?”

Same reason any company ever increases anyone’s pay really- retention. If an increased salary means they retain a good member of staff who has (presumably) been performing well and adding value, why would they not?! Not many people would be happy continuing to do the same job on the same salary indefinitely.

phoria Sat 16-Nov-19 20:18:07

Thank you for all your replies. Katherine - can I ask how much did you manage to get?

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in