Talk

Advanced search

On a temp contract but want a raise.

(10 Posts)
NapQueen Wed 25-Oct-17 20:57:51

One year contract, maternity cover. About 3 weeks after I started a part time finance guy left and I was asked if I could absorb their work. As I was within the same department and it would be a good string to my bow I agreed. It takes up the 2.5 days he did of my time, which obviously has increased the pressure across the other 2.5 days of my time.

Then one of the senior managers left and her work (marketing, website, engagement of service users etc) was spread various ways. I seem to now be caretaking the website, working on proofs of marketing materials and, significantly, managing the delivery of our annual exhibition.

The exhibition was a success, the prework was exhausting. The senior manager responsible overall has had a much increased workload since the other SM left so sort of left 90% of the work on the exhibition to me. Thankfully the staff across the company are supportive and happy to help with my lead. Problem is it shouldnt have been my lead.

The SM who left would have managed all of this and they are only just recruiting.

The PTer was paid roughly 14k, which they dont have to pay as I am doing it. And the SM who left was on roughly 45k.

Im an 18k Admin Assistant. And my role is massively different to interview.

However I am on a temp contract, just over halfway in, and feel I dont have the clout to ask.

Catinthecorner Wed 25-Oct-17 21:00:03

Ask! A man would have asked as soon as he picked up the extra.

NapQueen Wed 25-Oct-17 21:01:00

Thing is though, they could just say no. And I want to get kept on at the end so feel I ought to be amenable.

NapQueen Wed 25-Oct-17 21:04:55

Now I feel a bit of an idiot to not ask when it was initially put on me.

Catinthecorner Fri 27-Oct-17 14:45:52

You build a case. You’ve already taken on additional tasks. Outline those and your achievements and book a meeting with your manager.

Catinthecorner Fri 27-Oct-17 14:46:26

Actually, why aren’t you apply for the SM job?

NapQueen Fri 27-Oct-17 18:24:46

Because its way way above my grade and includes skills which I have no experience in.

daisychain01 Sat 28-Oct-17 08:01:06

If you’re on a 1 year contract and the peak of your activity was, say, over the past 3-4 months, that gives you a further 6 months + to run before the person returns from Mat Leave.

You’ve either got to say to yourself that you’re going to take your foot off the gas for the remainder of the Mat contract and only do what your JD originally stated. Or you could talk to your agency? / Line manager in-role and tell them all the extras you’ve already delivered, and ask them to renegotiate a better rate for your remaining months on cover.

daisychain01 Sat 28-Oct-17 08:05:03

Thing is though, they could just say no

You could end up resentful that they haven’t paid you fairly, or regret later down the line that you didn’t raise it now. If you’re only being paid 18K they’ve already taken the piss asking you to absorb at least 1.5FTE jobs into your own role. That’s pretty shabby.

Chewbecca Sat 28-Oct-17 16:38:40

Ask with a rationale, logical reasoning. No whinging or threats, just it out plainly and ask them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now