Talk

Advanced search

Conditional offer, when to hand in notice?

(4 Posts)
TheBookOfLoveIsLongAndBoring Thu 02-Mar-17 09:53:16

Hi, looking for some advice. I've received a conditional job offer, subject to references. I've been at my current role for 5 days and will get a good reference, but I have a bad sickness record. I've been off sick for 2 months, returning on Monday. It's my only significant period of sickness since I worked there. It is illness covered by the DDA. I know they could withdraw the offer based upon it.

The offer letter is in the post but I don't feel comfortable accepting until the references clear but I get the impression they expect me to hand my notice in now. Any advice on what to do?

violetbunny Thu 02-Mar-17 10:06:32

Do not hand in your notice until you have a signed contract. You never know what could happen. It would also seem unlikely that they can't wait a few days for your reference checks to be completed (surely that's quicker than starting afresh and finding someone else!).

TheBookOfLoveIsLongAndBoring Thu 02-Mar-17 10:28:27

But isn't a conditional offer letter a signed contract?

Hereward1332 Thu 02-Mar-17 13:16:27

A conditional offer is not a contract. It's an expression of intent, not a contract in itself.

Don't hand in your notice until you have a signed contract.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now