Talk

Advanced search

Unreasonable Working Hours?

(5 Posts)
OakCat Wed 11-Jan-17 20:05:52

I have been working for the same company for over 2.5 years and I am supposed to work 30 hours a week over 4 days.

In my line of work it is always expected for you to work extra hours at certain times of the month/year which I am happy to do.

However new boss came in 4 months ago and he is exceptionally demanding. My old boss used to help me out at peak times, the new boss is just delegating down more and more work. I am now regularly working 14 hour days and weekends – this past week I have done in excess of 70 hours. He has granted me one day off in lieu only for working the Monday I usually have at home with my DS, he is not agreeing to compensate me for the extra time/weekends (TOIL or payment) or indeed any extra childcare costs I have incurred.

I am working in the office in the evenings until 1-2 a.m. in the morning (mainly on my own) and still expected to be in the office at 9 a.m. DS is 3 and is getting very unsettled and DH getting very grumpy with me basically living at work.

Where do I stand? Should I raise a grievance or just hand my notice in. Part-time jobs are so hard to come by but then again I might as well go and work full-time somewhere with the better pay and treatment.

daisychain01 Wed 11-Jan-17 21:49:36

Those are ludicrous hours, I'm amazed he is standing by and letting you work until 1 and 2 am, and you're part time!!

can you write a brief account of the days you work, including hours and tasks.

Your boss need to take a serious look at your workload.

You may want to mention the Working time directive max 48 hrs a week and find out if you've opted out. If not they have no right to insist on you working that long. Even if you have opted out, it's still untenable!

OakCat Mon 16-Jan-17 10:05:44

Thanks daisychain for your reply. I have my 1 to 1 with my manager later so will take in the hours and get him to comment.

He know exactly how hard I've been working but I will give him the opportunity to comment/do something about it. I'm so exhausted I feel like calling in sick some days but the thought of the pile of work waiting for me when I return just scares me so I keep ploughing on!

MadameMaxGoesler Mon 16-Jan-17 21:30:30

Would the payment you receive divided by the hours you work take your hourly rate below the minimum wage?

ivykaty44 Mon 16-Jan-17 21:51:31

Keep a diary of the hours you are being forced to work
Contact your union, if you don't belong to one consider if it would be of help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now