Advanced search

Grasp the next rung of the career ladder

Find jobs that fit your skills and your home life with Mumsnet jobs

See all jobs »

Minimum Wage

(8 Posts)
NatalieDV Fri 16-Jan-15 20:42:15

Hello, first post, asking on behalf of my parents who are trying to avoid going to a care home.

They have employed two girls in their 20s as housekeepers / nurses to look after them. They are looking for 24x7 cover but they only have two spare bedrooms. They therefore ask each girl to work 42 hours a week by day and be on call 42 hours at night, during which time their time is their own (watch TV, sleep etc.). So between the two girls all the hours in the week are covered. In practise they work a 14 day rota.

Each girl gets paid £7.50 per hour for the 42 hour week (that's £315 per week) and they get free rent, council tax, electricity, gas, water, broadband, TV license etc. So they are fairly well off. If they were to get called out, or if the other girl is off sick, they would of course get paid overtime.

However, in the 6 months since this has been in place, one girl has been called out once when my mother went downstairs for a drink and set the alarm off.

One of the girls has come to me this week saying a friend of theirs says they should get paid minimum wage for the hours that they are on call (including the time that they are asleep). Is this true or not? In any case my parents could not afford this as it would double their wages.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

mrscumberbatch Fri 16-Jan-15 20:46:03

Yes you should be paying them for being on call.

trinitybleu Fri 16-Jan-15 20:50:20

If they are on call you don't need to pay minimum wage for the whole time, just pay them to cover any time they actually work in that in call period i.e. a call out fee of some sort.

WhyBeHappyWhenYouCouldBeNormal Fri 16-Jan-15 20:56:05

I don't think that's true trinity - they should be paid for the time they have to be in the house.I'm not sure if minimum wage or some form of compensation is most appropriate - but because they are on call it means that they can't go out all night, go on holiday or have a drink etc - it is not their free time.

NatalieDV Fri 16-Jan-15 20:56:06

Yes. to clarify, they are paid above minimum wage to reflect that they work a shift pattern and are on call. They are also paid overtime if they are called out or if the other girl is off sick.

Bin50 Fri 16-Jan-15 20:58:18

You/your parents need to read

Pages 29-30 cover sleeping time. You should also be aware that the free accommodation counts towards pay for NMW purposes, see page 23. Click on the link on that page, then read example 1.

If your parents or the carers are still in any doubt they can ring the Pay and Work Rights helpline for advice on 0800 917 2368

NatalieDV Fri 16-Jan-15 21:01:17

Thank you Bin50!

Bin50 Fri 16-Jan-15 21:21:32

No problem. I hope its put your mind at rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now