Talk

Advanced search

New Job & Medical Questionnaire

(17 Posts)
LondonSuperTrooper Mon 09-Jun-14 10:43:13

I have accepted a job offer and have just been sent an email from the company health provider requesting me to complete a medical form before starting my new job. One of the questions asks whether I am having, waiting for treatments (including medications) or investigations at present. The question goes on to ask for details of conditions, treatment and dates.

My query is how honest should I be? I am waiting to be prescribed clomid (infertility issues) in July. I have had investigations for re-current miscarriages in the past year and need to have a follow up blood test followed by a consultant appointment also in July (different issues, therfore different clinic & appointements).

Should I mention these? I must sign a disclaimer before submitting the form. Please help!

LondonSuperTrooper Mon 09-Jun-14 18:22:44

Anyone?

SunnyL Mon 09-Jun-14 18:25:55

what would happen o
if you don't complete the questionnaire? Do you need insurance to allow you to work? Also does it have a confidentiality clause in it?

Chocotrekkie Mon 09-Jun-14 18:29:59

Are you going to be needing time off work for these appointments ?
If so then tell them.

It also depends on the nature of the job - they need all the facts to do a proper risk assessment.
So if you are sitting at a desk in a call centre all day it's different from lifting heavy boxes and climbing tall ladders in a factory.

BikeRunSki Mon 09-Jun-14 18:33:29

Pre-employment health questionnaires are so that the employer can put in place any additional measures needed to assist you or keep you safe. They are not there to trip you up - that's why they are done after a job offer had been made.

Are you concerned that they might withdraw the job offer if they think you will be wanting maternity leave soon? Because they aren't allowed to do that.

LondonSuperTrooper Tue 10-Jun-14 08:10:57

Thanks for the replies.

SunnyThe questionnaire must be filled in, apparently it's compulsory. Failure to do so will result in delay with my starting date. I will have a look to see whether it has a confidentiality clause in it.

Choco I have already requested the time off for my appointments. I am office based so why would they need to ask such pertinent questions?

BikeRunSki Yes I am concerned that once they find out that I am waiting to start clomid that:
a- they withdraw their job offer
b- I will fail my 6 months' probation

I know that they are not allowed to do that, but I have seen how redundancies are handled with my existing employer and they have ways and means in which to do it legally!

LancashireMan Tue 10-Jun-14 09:46:30

In your position I would not disclose your concerns. They have made you a job offer. They can see that you are a woman of child-bearing age. I've been in boardrooms discussing applicants when the HR guy pipes up "she might get pregnant" to which my retort was: "Let the human race continue to reproduce". Your situation does not impact on your ability to do the job.

Sometimes you have to draw at line at the invasive, intrusive questionnaires put together by smart legal executives who would love to be allowed to ask the question on employment applications "Tell us anything and everything which we might want to know about you in connection with anything which might even remotely be connected your potential employment".

eurochick Tue 10-Jun-14 09:52:10

This is not legal advice, but I would be inclined not to mention fertility related issues to the employer. They would not ask if you were planning to have unprotected sex with a view to conceiving if you didn't have fertility issues. However, if they provide health insurance then I would give the health insurer full details on their questionnaire (in fact I have done this for both employer provided health and life insurance).

LondonSuperTrooper Tue 10-Jun-14 11:01:21

Lancashireman & Euro Thanks for your replies. I think that I will omit this info from my form.

Many thanks for all you help everyone thanks

LondonSuperTrooper Mon 23-Jun-14 14:15:59

Well I completed my form and omitted the fertility issues etc.

The company now want me to go to for a medical which is fine by me. And they want my permission to gain access to my medical records from my GP. Help, what do I do now?!

I can say yes, no or that i'd want to see it before being submitted to the company. The third option sometimes fails - that is, with my existing employer I didn't recieve the report until after they recieved it.

MummySparkle Mon 23-Jun-14 17:20:49

Hi LST

I just wanted to say that I had a medical questionnaire for my current job. I have had complex mental health issues in the past and my job is working with children. I decided to put everything on the form. I did get a call from HR about it, but as far as I know it never went any further than that HR lady. My immediate boss didn't know until I brought it up myself.

My advice would be to be honest now, before things come back to bite you later x

Viviennemary Mon 23-Jun-14 17:26:31

Personally, I wouldn't declare treatment for infertility issues unless you are expecting to have a lot of time of work for treatment.

LondonSuperTrooper Mon 23-Jun-14 18:51:18

Mummy, I work in a male dominated environment. For example, in a team of 20 men I'm the only female. I'm worried that by declaring my intentions will jeopardise my chances of passing my probation.

Vivienne, I haven't declared my issues with TTC. My concern now is whether I give permission to access my medical records from my GP.

Sherbetdip15 Thu 21-May-15 18:14:43

Just wondering what happened in the end here? Im in similar situation

Sherbetdip15 Thu 21-May-15 18:15:30

What happened in the end? Just wondering, I'm in similar situation.

Skiptonlass Fri 22-May-15 18:37:58

I've been asked in the past for access to my medical records. I've always politely denied them and never had any repercussions. I've accepted medicals as these are usually quite perfunctory.

I think if someone wants my medical records they need to give me a seriously good reason to have them. No job I've ever held has come close to having such a justification and I don't think many jobs would.

Politely refuse. If they come back to you, ask why they are needed and what happens if you refuse.

Musicaltheatremum Mon 01-Jun-15 18:40:04

Very strange to ask for GPs records when just doing pre employment medical. I can't remember being asked for this in recent years. If they are referring you for a medical I would hope this that you could discuss this with the occupational health people. I would be reluctant to give out your records but would answer a request for your fitness to work which for you, if it is just these problems would be no issues. People ask for records all the time now as we can only charge one fee no matter how big the records are and it saves them having to pay for a report from us for which we can charge more.

I always query it as it is rarely needed. It is also such a waste of my staff's time photocopying huge sets of records.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now