Talk

Advanced search

Ready meals - delivery service or just organise it ourselves?

(14 Posts)
Madcats Tue 26-Mar-19 15:11:41

My fiercely independent DM is recovering from a broken hip (all a bit traumatic, but we are through the worst) and just back in her apartment. We cleaned the place when she was in hospital, but it became obvious that she isn't too great at taking care of her nutrition/ditching out of date foods (but this might have been the case for decades without ill effect).

She is mobile enough to use an oven/microwave so we were wondering about organising a meal service for her, at least for a couple of months, so there is minimal fuss and she doesn't have to plan supermarket lists for us/carers (as yet not hired).

She is a traditional 'meat and veg' lady - but we want to encourage her to eat more than a sparrow. I know she has had some Charlie Binghams menus on rare occasions in the past (splits them in half). DB and I are both pretty clueless about ready meals as we'd both rather cook or eat out.

Can anybody recommend Wiltshire Farm Foods or equivalent? She'd need to talk to a human to order things (she has forgotten how to use the internet) or one of us would do it for her. Ideally we'd like to set up a regular delivery that continues unless we phone to alter it (so it isn't a disaster if she forgets one week).

At the moment one of us is taking in food or helping her cook, but that isn't really a long term option.

I'd like my Mum to enjoy food again.

TheQueef Tue 26-Mar-19 15:15:07

We had them for DM but stopped as they were expensive and nothing special.
We ended up filling the freezer with M&S and Sainsbury meals.
M&S ones are especially nice.

Ragwort Tue 26-Mar-19 15:19:40

Agree with TheQueef, if your DM likes Charlie Bingham meals I think she would be disappointed with Wiltshire Farm Foods. There is a very nice delivery service called ‘Cook’ excellent food or agree about stocking up her freezer with M & S, Waitrose etc ready meals.

OldAndWornOut Tue 26-Mar-19 15:25:20

We found Oakhouse quite good as a delivery service, and they also sell everything else; teabags, cleaning stuff, cakes and so on.
I think these services are better than buying supermarket ready meals; most take 5-6 mins to heat up, are packed in a way to take up minimum freezer space, and you can work towards having a go-to list.

CMOTDibbler Tue 26-Mar-19 15:42:05

I've tried various ready meals for my parents. TBH, even though they are very traditional eaters, dad wasn't that keen on the Wiltshire Farm Foods - but they are very convenient to have in the freezer and he did like the puddings.
He likes ready meals from Waitrose inc the Charlie Bingham ones, and when they can't get out for some reason (he shops on his mobility scooter, and takes mum to the pub for lunch every day normally), I order meals from Ocado for them. I like Ocado as they will put all the food away in the fridge/freezer. Tea is organised by their carer who leaves a plate of sandwiches or soup to heat up.
Their carer cleans the fridge out, and does dad a shopping list (which is reducing his hoarding) or texts me with what they need. Amazon Prime is a wonderful thing for all the bits they need sent, so dad calls me and asks for incontinence pants/ a new microwave/ vests and I order for them on his card.

donajimena Tue 26-Mar-19 15:46:42

Marks and Spencer do little meals. Things like chicken and dumplings, fish and parsley sauce etc. I know you don't want her to eat too little but they are definitely big enough for one person. Sainsbury also do little pots of ready meals.

Nuttyaboutnutella Tue 26-Mar-19 15:51:09

I work in care with the elderly. Avoid Wiltshire Farm foods like the plague. They are so expensive and they all say the food is barely edible and I can hardly pronounce most of the 'ingredients'. If you're able to do it yourself, please try. m&S do nice meals. Also Iceland seems to be really good -- very reasonable and no additives/preservatives, etc. The meals always smell lovely and make me hungry 😂

bellinisurge Tue 26-Mar-19 15:53:32

My fiercely independent mum who was also a fussy eater would eat Wiltshire Farm Foods. And Sainsburys Basic Macaroni Cheese.
To be frank, we were so desperate to get her to eat that we jumped on anything she would go for.

PickAChew Tue 26-Mar-19 15:57:05

The M&S meals are just a nice size for a balanced meal for small appetites. They also do little individual crumbles, eves puddings, etc, which can be heated from frozen and are good for getting the calories in if she isn't fancying something healthier.

daisy118 Tue 26-Mar-19 18:06:23

Another recommendation for M&S ready meals,in mini sizes as well.Waitrose also have mini meals in their freezer section which are tasty.Oakhouse foods are based in Bournemouth so may not be a nationwide service but you can phone and order,paying by card or on delivery.Items are delivered frozen,packaging can be bulky so may need plenty of freezer space.I use Ocado for my 90 year old mum ,they carry bags to kitchen worktop for her to unpack.

Madcats Tue 26-Mar-19 18:39:38

Thanks for the speedy feedback. We did wonder if it would be best to use supermarkets. Ocado or Waitrose home delivery might be the answer for now.

Pashazade Tue 26-Mar-19 19:00:14

Another vote for COOK. They have shops and a delivery service. Their ready meals are excellent.

AvocadosBeforeMortgages Sat 06-Apr-19 01:03:43

Cook are lovely, if your freezer space and budget are both plentiful!

Someone recommended Parsley Box to me as an option that can be kept in a cupboard. They're essentially ready meals with a 6 month min shelf life that don't need fridge or freezer space. Reviews from elderly relative are positive.

Weenurse Sat 06-Apr-19 01:25:08

My family and I just batch cooked and stocked the freezer. Last night she was having devilled sausages and mash.
I also bought a little slow cooker and froze single serves of mixed veg. She could then start a soup or casserole with the veg already cut .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: