Buckinghamshire or Hertfordshire??

(7 Posts)
Mumof2D Wed 08-Mar-17 11:34:46

Hi,
We are planning a shift... need some suggestions..
Which is a better place to live Bucks or Herts...? Our preference is in the order of good grammar school for girls, followed by good feeding primary schools and of course neighbourhood.
Thanks ....

INeedNewShoes Wed 08-Mar-17 14:01:16

I would say there's not a lot in it between Herts and Bucks for quality of life and both have nice areas/villages etc.

I gather that people do move to Bucks because of the grammar schools (I don't know about Herts).

I know a girl at one of the Bucks grammars. I am concerned that she is going to burn out. It is her that is choosing to work so hard but I am a little aghast that the school have not identified that this girl is a breakdown waiting to happen. She takes school so seriously, to the detriment of any extra-curricular activities and has completely given up any social life because she has got the idea from somewhere that every moment that she is not in a lesson should be spent studying.

That to me is alarming enough that I will be very very careful about which school my child goes to if they do have the opportunity to go to one of the local grammars.

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 08-Mar-17 14:36:50

Hertfordshire itself does not have grammar schools as such but some people in Hertfordshire can access the Buckinghamshire grammar schools is my understanding. For that reason I would go for Bucks to ensure I was definitely in a grammar catchment.

(Slight bias as despite living in Cambridge now I went to a well known good girls grammar in Bucks albeit a hundred years ago!)

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 08-Mar-17 14:44:45

PS> I went to the school you started the other thread about!

TeenAndTween Thu 09-Mar-17 14:14:27

Hampshire!

Mumof2D Fri 10-Mar-17 09:30:54

Thanks to all the mums for valuable input...

Hello TeenandTween,
Amused by yourself???

JamDonutsRule Wed 15-Mar-17 02:28:43

Absolutely not Herts if DC have SEN!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now